Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
Regno Unito
Local time: 10:08
Membro (2006)
Da Inglese a Polacco
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 3, 2008

I think that when featuring glossaries it would be great if you could take into account how many units they have (it would be even better if you could sort them by how often people using term search enter these glossaries but it could be too difficult).
With all respect to authors of glossaries containing 5, 10 or 15 terms I am convinced that those containing let's say 1000 or 2000 units are much more valuable to the users of this site and as such should be displayed more often.
I a
... See more
I think that when featuring glossaries it would be great if you could take into account how many units they have (it would be even better if you could sort them by how often people using term search enter these glossaries but it could be too difficult).
With all respect to authors of glossaries containing 5, 10 or 15 terms I am convinced that those containing let's say 1000 or 2000 units are much more valuable to the users of this site and as such should be displayed more often.
I am not suggesting not displaying small glossaries at all, only adjusting frequency of featuring glossaries to their potential usefulness and size is a good (although not perfect) indicator.

Best Regards
Stanislaw
Collapse

Tjasa Kuerpick
Tjasa Kuerpick  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 11:08
Membro (2006)
Da Sloveno a Tedesco
+ ...
Glossaries & Dictionaries at PROZ May 4, 2008

I think that even small glossaries of 5 or 30 items can be useful, if the use certain terms are discussed there. There are many areas that have not been standardized, so any suggestion about the use of a certain term and/or translation by an expert is worth reading.

But I have another suggestion:
Frequently webpages are undergoing changes, so the URLs of glossaries or dictionaries change too, nevertheless at Proz there is no feature, which enables to update a link or to add a
... See more
I think that even small glossaries of 5 or 30 items can be useful, if the use certain terms are discussed there. There are many areas that have not been standardized, so any suggestion about the use of a certain term and/or translation by an expert is worth reading.

But I have another suggestion:
Frequently webpages are undergoing changes, so the URLs of glossaries or dictionaries change too, nevertheless at Proz there is no feature, which enables to update a link or to add a comment, for example that:
- a certain page is currently unavailable.
- a glossary or dictionary was deleted from a certain URL.
- the entries contain tippos.
- could enable the users to add their opinion about its content. (would be useful for example for experts, who visits it and notices, that certain expressions are not used properly)

I would even suggest a rating system for dictionaries, which might encourage the author of a glossary or dictionary to keep, maintain or enlarge it.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Featured glossaries

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »