Colour schemes in profiles
Initiator des Themas: Gerry Busch (X)
Gerry Busch (X)
Gerry Busch (X)
Deutsch > Englisch
Dec 29, 2005

It would be nice if we could select the colour schemes on our profile pages individually. I'm afraid I find the current olive-drab backgrounds a bit depressing in comparison with other translation sites. A lighter background colour would be more cheerful, and also make the text of the profile much easier for visitors to read.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:13
Deutsch > Englisch
+ ...
In stillem Gedenken
Uniformity Dec 29, 2005

Hi Gerry,

The way I see it is if you want to be in the army, be prepared to wear the uniform - and a single colour scheme backdrop presents us in a level way to visitors and as members of a respected community with clout.

Consider that site traffic is much more important than issues like colour, and take a look at this article on how to attract visitors:
... See more
Hi Gerry,

The way I see it is if you want to be in the army, be prepared to wear the uniform - and a single colour scheme backdrop presents us in a level way to visitors and as members of a respected community with clout.

Consider that site traffic is much more important than issues like colour, and take a look at this article on how to attract visitors: http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/447/1/Five-easy-(and-free)-ways-to-boost-your-profile-traffic

You can have the prettiest page on the Net but if no-one gets drawn there it's not much use. But if you also want to add some HTML eye candy to your profile, Gianfranco Manca has provided a useful Proz-specific tutorial here: http://www.proz.com/home/12340/HTML_Tips3.htm

HTH
Chris
Collapse

Fred Neild (X)
Fred Neild (X)  Identity Verified
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Uniformity Dec 29, 2005

One of the basic principles of web designing is using the same color pattern throughout the website, this is part of Proz.com visual identity and our profiles are in Proz.com website. This should be something to be proud of, being part of this community.

Regarding the color chosen, I believe the neutral pastel colors of the site are related to the site's diversity of members who belong to (I suppose) about 100 different countries. What you may regard as attractive other members may
... See more
One of the basic principles of web designing is using the same color pattern throughout the website, this is part of Proz.com visual identity and our profiles are in Proz.com website. This should be something to be proud of, being part of this community.

Regarding the color chosen, I believe the neutral pastel colors of the site are related to the site's diversity of members who belong to (I suppose) about 100 different countries. What you may regard as attractive other members may regard as unprofessional.

Of course, this only how I see it.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Local time: 12:13
Mitglied
Englisch > Türkisch
+ ...
I find Gerry's suggestion worthwhile Dec 29, 2005

It's a good idea to have more room for personalizing profile pages, and color is one of them. It would be fine if we had either a more neutral color that would interfere less with our personal choice of color and other visual material in pages, or had alternative color schemes or templates. I don't see this as something that would work against the community spirit, at all. And, the fact that we are not an army aside, the main purpose of a uniform is not to further the community spirit, but make ... See more
It's a good idea to have more room for personalizing profile pages, and color is one of them. It would be fine if we had either a more neutral color that would interfere less with our personal choice of color and other visual material in pages, or had alternative color schemes or templates. I don't see this as something that would work against the community spirit, at all. And, the fact that we are not an army aside, the main purpose of a uniform is not to further the community spirit, but make sure no one stands out in a group - we, on the other hand, all try to stand out in some way, and having more tools for that would be just fine.

[Edited at 2005-12-29 12:15]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:13
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Not a good idea. Dec 29, 2005

I strongly disagree with Gerry and agree with Fred. Colors are part of ProZ personality, traditional look.
Uniformity in color makes us all Proz Members. And that looks professional too.

Walter

Larissa Dinsley
Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
Vereinigtes Königreich
Local time: 11:13
Mitglied (2003)
Englisch > Russisch
+ ...
I actually like the colour! Dec 29, 2005

I have even tried to reproduce it when practicing some website designing skills (just for fun)

Honestly, I have always thought that Proz's colours are unobtrusive and quite stylish.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 07:13
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
Me too. Dec 29, 2005

Larissa Dinsley wrote:

I have even tried to reproduce it when practicing some website designing skills (just for fun)

Honestly, I have always thought that Proz's colours are unobtrusive and quite stylish.

I even use that color in my personal cards.

Walter

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dänemark
Local time: 12:13
Mitglied (2003)
Dänisch > Englisch
+ ...
I like the colour too Dec 29, 2005

Of course, if there was a way to choose colours, we could keep the present one if we wanted to, and let others try being different. ProZ is so good at accommodating nearly everyone!

BTW it doesn't stop people visiting your profile. I took time to check yesterday, and was quite amazed at the number of people who have found their way to mine in the last couple of months.

Some of them have offered me jobs, too, which is what it is all about...

Happy New Year,
... See more
Of course, if there was a way to choose colours, we could keep the present one if we wanted to, and let others try being different. ProZ is so good at accommodating nearly everyone!

BTW it doesn't stop people visiting your profile. I took time to check yesterday, and was quite amazed at the number of people who have found their way to mine in the last couple of months.

Some of them have offered me jobs, too, which is what it is all about...

Happy New Year, folks!
Collapse

keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:43
Mitglied (2006)
Englisch > Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Change the colour of font, not background. Dec 29, 2005

I am agree with both Gerry and Fred. It is correct that everybody likes to create his own personal colour(it is another question which colour is suitable for all). But at the same time it is also important to maintain a uniform colour for the identification of a site. To me,the background colour of ProZ.com is more attractive than other sites. Whenever I see the colour in the net, I can easily understand that it is ProZ.com. But the ProZians have liberty to make the colour of the font at their c... See more
I am agree with both Gerry and Fred. It is correct that everybody likes to create his own personal colour(it is another question which colour is suitable for all). But at the same time it is also important to maintain a uniform colour for the identification of a site. To me,the background colour of ProZ.com is more attractive than other sites. Whenever I see the colour in the net, I can easily understand that it is ProZ.com. But the ProZians have liberty to make the colour of the font at their choice. So we can easily create our site attractive.

Regards,

Keshab.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Lettland
Local time: 13:13
Mitglied (2003)
Englisch > Lettisch
+ ...
Individualising your profile Dec 29, 2005

Gianfranco Manca has published a nice manual here:

http://www.proz.com/home/12340/HTML_Tips3.htm

Uldis

Gerry Busch (X)
Gerry Busch (X)
Deutsch > Englisch
THEMENSTARTER
Points well taken Dec 29, 2005

What a great response! You are all making good points, and I guess I'm in the minority here.

First of all, don't get me wrong. I already knew that web site design makes only a small contribution towards attracting potential clients. There are many other considerations. Directly approaching translation agencies with an effective resume has brought me most of my translation jobs over the past eight years. I doubt that any translator directory -- or my own independent web site, fo
... See more
What a great response! You are all making good points, and I guess I'm in the minority here.

First of all, don't get me wrong. I already knew that web site design makes only a small contribution towards attracting potential clients. There are many other considerations. Directly approaching translation agencies with an effective resume has brought me most of my translation jobs over the past eight years. I doubt that any translator directory -- or my own independent web site, for that matter -- has ever sent much business my way. Nevertheless, I still like to do a bit of window dressing once in a while. It's nice to always look your best.

In looking over the responses to my post, I guess our ProZ.com profile pages can be seen as serving two main functions: To represent us as translators, and to represent us as members of ProZ.com. There is a discrepancy here, however: The latter function is not well-served by the lack of a ProZ.com banner in profile pages -- cf. the topic about difficulties in returning to the home page from member profiles. So if being in the army makes it necessary for us to wear the uniform, to continue the military metaphor used in one response, then why are we not flying the flag, as well?

That metaphor left a bad taste in my mouth, as there is no one less militaristic than I am. As for pride, well, aside from the community networking aspect, I see ProZ.com primarily as a business service. It's a good one, too, but at the end of the day, I have only enough pride left over to cover my own services rendered. Loyalty? I owe that to my family, my friends and to Canada, but not to businesses.

Anyway, thanks for the quick and well-considered responses!

Gerry
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Colour schemes in profiles

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »