Babylon "overused licenses"
Thread poster: Eleni Makantani
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:38
French to English
Type of criticism Feb 12, 2009

Eleni Makantani wrote:
I mean, people are criticizing products of other companies, and especially CAT tools, in the forums all the time, but they weren't made to "disappear" from Proz.

Most of the negative threads I see about software are of a technical nature. Many relate to things that are just impossible to do, or are known bugs.

This thread calls for a class action against an advertiser !
Slightly different, I think.
(FWIW, it does seem as though this "lifetime" issue is dodgy in the extreme and I for one will be going nowhere near Babylon and advising others to do avoid it too.)

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 12:38
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
We haven't been banned Feb 12, 2009

This forum thread hasn't been banned. The reason why I cannot find it on my home page is the amount of the forums I have subscribed. It is more likely to see threads from that particular forum if I reduce this number of the forums. I can update my forum list shown on my home page through my forum dashboard.

That's the answer I got from Proz support... See more
This forum thread hasn't been banned. The reason why I cannot find it on my home page is the amount of the forums I have subscribed. It is more likely to see threads from that particular forum if I reduce this number of the forums. I can update my forum list shown on my home page through my forum dashboard.

That's the answer I got from Proz support

[Edited at 2009-02-12 15:12 GMT]
Collapse

Knife
Knife
Local time: 04:38
The Babylon Scam Feb 18, 2009

That's the name of a web page I will setup to make visible the recent commercial tactics from Babylon.

My story is simple:
1) I had a lifetime v4 license since 2002
2) Babylon convinced me to upgrade to v7 at a discount. I did so for my PC and is working great. No problem here.

Here comes the funny part:
3) I needed 2 additional licenses for my wife and her boss. She ask me to get two licenses.
4) I clicked on a Babylon advertising. It displayed
... See more
That's the name of a web page I will setup to make visible the recent commercial tactics from Babylon.

My story is simple:
1) I had a lifetime v4 license since 2002
2) Babylon convinced me to upgrade to v7 at a discount. I did so for my PC and is working great. No problem here.

Here comes the funny part:
3) I needed 2 additional licenses for my wife and her boss. She ask me to get two licenses.
4) I clicked on a Babylon advertising. It displayed an Israeli phone number to call for an offer.
5) The sales agent on the phone told me that I can buy two licenses with a 50% discount each. Two by the price of one. Offer valid only on the phone.
6) I went for it. I received an e-mail with a license. There were a column Quantity, and there is a number "2" under that.
7) It worked fine for a couple of months. My wife and her boss were happy.
8) Suddenly, they got the "license overuse message".

You can imagine the rest. Two months fighting with them with no reasonable reply.
They just say over and over "each license is valid for one computer".
Hell, I have PO for TWO licenses. I explained this at least 3 times, attaching the PO e-mail.
The reply? "Each license is valid for one computer". Looks like there is a reobot in the other side.

I tried to call to the support phone number.
A disaster. Nobody speaks English there. (Funny, for softare translation software).
I called 4-5 times. They just put me on hold, said something in German, and then hang.
Very disrespectfully.

Conclusion: I was fooled and a victim of a scam.
Now, here is may plan. Maybe you are interested in participate.

Babylon is an outstanding product, and right now is a strong brand, based on a great product and their previous commercial policy. Now the commercial policy has changed (they stink), but the brand is still immaculate. However, that will change if we succeed in positioning on top google search these stories whenever someone searchs for the Babylon keyword.

I do internet marketing for fun, so I know how to setup quickly a web page and some tactics to position it in google. It takes months, however. Well, I'm not in a hurry. It will cost me $10 a year to keep that unveiling site about Babylon, but I think they worth in terms on warning other potential victims of their commercial tactics. Maybe that also make Babylon change their commercial policy.

The provisional name of the site will be:

The Babylon Complaint Site (more polite), or
The Babylon Scam (more direct)

I will ask my lawyer about the risks on doing this, but I think this is the way to go.

I will post later an e-mail and more details when I mature the idea a little.
Please post your opinion on this forum meanwhile.

Best regards
Knife
Collapse

Knife
Knife
Local time: 04:38
The Babylon Scam -- Update Mar 30, 2009

I feel bad for not updating this timely, but anyway better late than never.
My story has a happy ending:

A few days after posting this (coincidence?) I received the following e-mail from Babylon:

===
Dear [my name]

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Im really sorry for all the inconvenience you may have I really want to help you with your problem , I see that you have 2 licenses that is correct, I also see that somehow you
... See more
I feel bad for not updating this timely, but anyway better late than never.
My story has a happy ending:

A few days after posting this (coincidence?) I received the following e-mail from Babylon:

===
Dear [my name]

Im really sorry for all the inconvenience you may have I really want to help you with your problem , I see that you have 2 licenses that is correct, I also see that somehow your 2 license have received new licenses code. And this license Code is for you 2 licenses it works with both. Only in 2 computer.

Our licensing system monitors license usage and automatically revokes licenses that exceed this usage policy.

1. It may be possible that your license somehow leaked out to the web or was duplicated and therefore had been reported as over-used.

2. If you use a single Babylon license on more than one computer, you will require additional license, one for each machine.

In order to clear this issue, we’ve sent you a new license to replace the over-used one.

[username]
Transaction ID:######
(Complete date: m/dd/yyyy)
Product:Babylon 7 download file
Username:*****
New License Code:*****

We apologize for any inconvenience you may encounter.

If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to write to me again.

Best regards,
Aaron Malca| Customer Support | Babylon Ltd.
===

So, at the end, I received a reply from a thinking human, who properly apologize and reviewed that I have the right for using it in 2 computers. My wife tested the license in her computer and in his boss' computer, and both work simultaneously without problems. (Remember I paid for 2 licenses, there is no trick here).

Therefore, I droped the idea of doing "The Babylon Scam" site. This guy Aaron saved the company -- I hope he'll be rewarded by that.

I have the impression that my type of transaction (buying more than one license) is somewhat rare -- that may explain why they were sending like robots the canned reply "you only can use a license in a single computer" once and again.

Also, as a funny story, I remember they called me at 03:00 and identified like Babylon.
It was a weird call. I was sleeping deeply and my cellphone rang. I wake up and answered, not totally awake. They started talking in English (which is not my native tongue), and I thought it was something from my job (we have US customers)... My brain was still in the booting process until they identified as Babylon.

I thought they were calling me to discuss my last e-mail were I was threating them with creating a site (I wrote there my cellphone number), but... they asked for a co-worker (they gave his full name, which by the way is not a common name). I told them it was 3am and this was not that guy, so they asked me for his phone... This other guy was traveling at that time, and I explained them that but gave them his cellphone number anyway. I thought he was having problems with Babylon and he needed urgently to be contacted. They hanged and I immediately fall in a deep sleep.

When I remember this the next day, I still was confused about the call, and I called my friend to see if they help him. No, he wasn't contacted. Even more, he didn't used Babylon. So even today I cannot figure out why babylon called me asking me with the name of the other guy. Or maybe I dreamed the whole thing.

But if I wasn't dreaming, then their internal procedures must be a disaster. To their discharge, I must say that they apologized by the inconvenience of the time call once they realized what time it was. But for me, an international company providing support should have this built in in their customer service protocol, and they should have waited until a more convenient time to call.

Ok, I got my 2-computer licenses, and they are working fine.
Their support stinks, but at least there are still people there that stop to think if you insist and are very clear and pushy. Hope this company gets better.

Summary: Outstanding product, below average support.

[Edited at 2009-03-30 19:47 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-30 19:48 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-30 20:11 GMT]
Collapse

Official Statement of Babylon Support and Customer Service Apr 6, 2009

Babylon is today almost 12 years old; we served 65 million unique visitors to our websites last year. For years our support service was commited to 48 hours respond time, during working hours. We at Babylon found it inappropriate, and improved it to same day support over the phone as well as over emails, in large variety of languages.

In order to keep providing our customers with the highest standards service, we are obliged to follow industry standards in terms of our licensing enf
... See more
Babylon is today almost 12 years old; we served 65 million unique visitors to our websites last year. For years our support service was commited to 48 hours respond time, during working hours. We at Babylon found it inappropriate, and improved it to same day support over the phone as well as over emails, in large variety of languages.

In order to keep providing our customers with the highest standards service, we are obliged to follow industry standards in terms of our licensing enforcement policy.

We appologize for any inconviniante caused in individual cases, and I personally commit myself to help each and every one of you.

Please contact me at arbel[at]babylon.com

Best regards,

Arbel

Head of Customer Care Department

Babylon
Collapse

pooh_bear138 (X)
pooh_bear138 (X)

English
Not good enough Apr 12, 2009

I'm sorry, but this statement is not enough.

"In order to keep providing our customers with the highest standards service, we are obliged to follow industry standards in terms of our licensing enforcement policy."

Poppycock, bawlderdash, rubbish and nonsense!

I know of no other software company, absolutely none, who disable the software and ASSUME, not ask whether, the user has acted illegally. That is not the industry standard. Indeed most software I purc
... See more
I'm sorry, but this statement is not enough.

"In order to keep providing our customers with the highest standards service, we are obliged to follow industry standards in terms of our licensing enforcement policy."

Poppycock, bawlderdash, rubbish and nonsense!

I know of no other software company, absolutely none, who disable the software and ASSUME, not ask whether, the user has acted illegally. That is not the industry standard. Indeed most software I purchase allows me a PERSONAL licence such that I *can* use it on another machine for my own use.

What I wanted to hear from Babylon is that you got it wrong both in terms of your policy and the way you enforce it. It is to your shame that you failed on both counts.

Specifically, you need to:

1. Make clear on your online store that your policy is per machine, not on a personal basis for new customers.

2. Honour the understanding that previous customers have had, that the licence is personal.

3. Ensure replacement licences are sent out automatically *without delay*.

4. Enable a longer period before disabling the software to sort out any problems.

5. Word the emails sent and the statement on the Support page of your website to allow for the possibility of errors in the detection method used and provide contact details for that eventuality. DO NOT WRITE AS IF THE CUSTOMER IS GUILTY AND THE ONLY RECOURSE IS TO PURCHASE A NEW LICENCE.

I do not think you realise what a PR disaster this has been for your company. I know I for one will never purchase another Babylon product and have and will warn others away from it for as long as you do not admit your mistakes over it, apologise and PUT IT RIGHT.

[Edited at 2009-04-12 12:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-12 14:10 GMT]
Collapse

Jacek Sierakowski
Jacek Sierakowski
Belgium
Local time: 11:38
English to French
+ ...
just talking the talk Apr 17, 2009

Yeah, whatever. Too bad they don't find me in their system. After all, I only bought 3 licenses and 1 CD. They want me to buy a 4th license (for 2 PC's in total), and I never got the CD.

How to Turn Paying Customers into Pirates Oct 28, 2009

Somebody posted a comment at my blog post about my own experiences with Babylon. It is very detailed, describing exactly what happened, my personal experiences and the responses by Babylon.

http://www.roysac.com/blog/2009/09/how-to-turn-paying-customers-into.html

I just wanted to add this to this forum thread, because it seems to be a pla
... See more
Somebody posted a comment at my blog post about my own experiences with Babylon. It is very detailed, describing exactly what happened, my personal experiences and the responses by Babylon.

http://www.roysac.com/blog/2009/09/how-to-turn-paying-customers-into.html

I just wanted to add this to this forum thread, because it seems to be a place where complaints from end customers of Babylon software are collected. I hope that the folks from Babylon will read this thread one day and rethink their licensing policy. It's a shame and sad to see, especially if you consider how well they started out (I am a Babylon user for over 14 years already and know their history).

Cheers!
Carsten
Collapse

Voice your opinion at places where it matters (to THEM) Oct 31, 2009

Posting a review and submit a rating at sites like CNET download, where people can download the free trial version of the software might helps to get their attention and to realize that something that they are doing is not exactly the way they should be doing things.

I just posted one myself...
See more
Posting a review and submit a rating at sites like CNET download, where people can download the free trial version of the software might helps to get their attention and to realize that something that they are doing is not exactly the way they should be doing things.

I just posted one myself
http://download.cnet.com/Babylon/3000-2279_4-10753317.html?tag=contentBody;userReviews

There are a lot of other sites where customers can post reviews as well

Cheers!

Carsten
Collapse

Tell the world the truth Nov 26, 2009

I have also posted a review about Babylon intrusive licensing system at CNET download.com (link posted in the previous message above). Be aware that even if you paid for their software (and its not that cheap) you may not able to use it properly. They arbitrarily disable your licenses (including premium dictionaries) if you, for example, reinstall your OS constantly, upgrade your hardware or your machine, have a dual boot machine, installed Babylon in a second machine (e.g., your notebook) etc..... See more
I have also posted a review about Babylon intrusive licensing system at CNET download.com (link posted in the previous message above). Be aware that even if you paid for their software (and its not that cheap) you may not able to use it properly. They arbitrarily disable your licenses (including premium dictionaries) if you, for example, reinstall your OS constantly, upgrade your hardware or your machine, have a dual boot machine, installed Babylon in a second machine (e.g., your notebook) etc...Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:38
German to Spanish
+ ...
Babylon "overused licenses Nov 26, 2009

Arbel wrote:

In order to keep providing our customers with the highest standards service, we are obliged to follow industry standards in terms of our licensing enforcement policy.

We appologize for any inconviniante caused in individual cases, and I personally commit myself to help each and every one of you.

Please contact me at arbel[at]babylon.com

Best regards,

Arbel

Head of Customer Care Department

Babylon

Long time ago, I used a Babylon trial. Until I noticed that they were distributing glossaries given away for free by good will translators to the entire world by means of a paied application. From my point of view, it is true that the translators have transferred the intellectual property of his glossaries, but not this way his/here distribution rights wich is quite dubious.

Consequently, I suggest each one to apply his or here moral criterion, before buying an application of this nature.

[Editado a las 2009-11-26 20:55 GMT]

Dont buy Babylon licence Dec 18, 2009

This was my message to Babylon support:

------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a licensed Babylon user for version 5 and 6.
Babylon Pro-5:
Order number: 743442
Date of purchase: 21-Mar-2005
Babylon 6 Upgrade:
Order number: 1275777
Date of purchase: 31-Jul-2007

I am use this software only in my personel computer, only in one computer at the same time. I reformatted or upgraded my computer sev
... See more
This was my message to Babylon support:

------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a licensed Babylon user for version 5 and 6.
Babylon Pro-5:
Order number: 743442
Date of purchase: 21-Mar-2005
Babylon 6 Upgrade:
Order number: 1275777
Date of purchase: 31-Jul-2007

I am use this software only in my personel computer, only in one computer at the same time. I reformatted or upgraded my computer several times.

I cannot use my software anymore because the licence expired and I cannot reinstall the software also.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And this is the answer:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am sorry but the version 6 isnt fully compatible with windows 7.
In order to keep enjoying working Babylon you need to upgrade your version to version 8, please use the link below:
https://buy.babylon.com/index.php?trid=SUPPORT&sp=1322&lang=1&voucher=SUP30P208TC&disableredirect=1
If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to write to me again.
Best regards,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this a joke?

I will not buy Babylon 8 at this time. I purchased Babylon 5 and 6 licences and I will us these so-called lifetime licences.
Collapse

Babylon re-enabled my licence Dec 21, 2009

A new message from Babylon support say:

"The problem you're describing occurs because the version you are using is not windows 7 compatible.
You will be not be able to use Babylon 5&6&7 on Windows 7.
The first Windows 7 compatible version created by Babylon was 8.0.1."

My answer:
"I'm use Babylon 6 with Windows 7 without any major problems until this week. Only problem is, my licence don't work anymore.
I will not buy Babylon 8 at this time. I
... See more
A new message from Babylon support say:

"The problem you're describing occurs because the version you are using is not windows 7 compatible.
You will be not be able to use Babylon 5&6&7 on Windows 7.
The first Windows 7 compatible version created by Babylon was 8.0.1."

My answer:
"I'm use Babylon 6 with Windows 7 without any major problems until this week. Only problem is, my licence don't work anymore.
I will not buy Babylon 8 at this time. I purchased Babylon 5 and 6 licences and I will us these licences."

Finally after several messages to Babylon support, my licence re-activated. A new licence code sended and that seems the problem is resolved for now
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Babylon "overused licenses"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »