Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
Plunet probably offers no SaaS option, is otherwise good Nov 3, 2010

Saeid Hasani wrote:
the point is that I am trying to find thebest to meet my requirement as per the local market in order to assist the provider to localize it for our market if possible and the language is Persian and RTL language with Arabic letters and its restraints in localization.

I have also applied for OTM online demo to see how it works.

nevertheless, SaaS seems the best of all for small offices

I think RTL is a problem with OTM. The developers can confirm this. However, there are several user interfaces (admin, PM, customer, resource) - I don't know if this restriction applies to all or if the customer UI can be adapted. I do know that localization of the respective interfaces is rather straightforward, because I translate the new strings for the English interface every few weeks.

Some of the agencies I work with swear by Plunet. However, as far as I know, you must maintain your own server, with all the associated costs for hardware, software, etc. as well as the time and risks for doing that yourself. There is no SaaS option that I have been able to discover (looking through www.plunet.de), though one could probably arrange hosting somewhere at whatever cost. Those I know who use this have their own servers. Despite 3+ decades of IT experience I simply don't want to deal with the drain on my time to do this, and I find that remote online solutions are safer for my clients and reduce my risk in other ways. Having used a good SaaS option for most of this past year, I shudder to think of doing anything else, though I can imagine specific improvements that might make particular systems more or less attractive to me.

"Integration" with TM systems in most cases with translation business management solutions typically consists of reading the analysis files from the CAT tools or in some cases perhaps doing the equivalent via API. I think I recall seeing some further integration with various tools at the two memoQfest events I've attended, and while this has advantages in some scenarios, these may not be so large if you allow your translators receiving assignments significant scope in their choice of working tools or methods.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:44
German to English
+ ...
Costs of in-house IT staff, etc.: SaaS the only sane option for small operations Nov 3, 2010

Saeid Hasani wrote:
nevertheless, SaaS seems the best of all for small offices

Sadly, a number of my favorite small agencies who had in-house IT staff were unable to continue employing these people when the translation volumes decreased as large corporate customers largely stopped doing minor languages. I was unaware of this until I questioned why I was getting "help" calls for simple IT issues that these employees could have dealt with in their sleep. They obviously can't do that if they aren't there any more. In the IT world, people also tend to change jobs frequently.

SaaS offers me stability in this sense if it is done right. I expect providers to have a larger IT than any small to medium-sized agency can afford, so if any one geek gets hit by a bus the system will keep working without undue disturbances. Maintenance and upgrades, as well as the absolutely critical frequent backups take place whether I have time to think about it or not. Having suffered some severe setbacks in the past two years due to problems with LAN and desktop systems and their associated local maintenance, I encourage every solution provider to work toward the best SaaS options they can conceive. Lightning may only strike once in ten years, but the burns are no less severe.

[Edited at 2010-11-03 10:32 GMT]

Saeid Hasani
Saeid Hasani  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:44
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Appreciation Nov 6, 2010

Sir,

sure, I do agree with you as I am an MCP as well and I have some exnce in IT.

definitely the maintainance chores of IT dept is one of the most important issues to tackle with in small biz. As i mentioned and you also addressed the point localizing these SaaS into RTL is another story.

I know SDL is also offering TMS SaaS as well. I hope they make a haste in order to provide localization capabiliites as well though I do not have a smattering idea about
... See more
Sir,

sure, I do agree with you as I am an MCP as well and I have some exnce in IT.

definitely the maintainance chores of IT dept is one of the most important issues to tackle with in small biz. As i mentioned and you also addressed the point localizing these SaaS into RTL is another story.

I know SDL is also offering TMS SaaS as well. I hope they make a haste in order to provide localization capabiliites as well though I do not have a smattering idea about the price; it might be hefty.

any way your input is highly appreciated and thanks for sharing your experience.

regards,

Saeid
Collapse

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:44
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Plunet does offer SaaS Nov 6, 2010

KSL Berlin wrote:
Some of the agencies I work with swear by Plunet. However, as far as I know, you must maintain your own server, with all the associated costs for hardware, software, etc. as well as the time and risks for doing that yourself. There is no SaaS option that I have been able to discover (looking through www.plunet.de), though one could probably arrange hosting somewhere at whatever cost. Those I know who use this have their own servers.

Plunet does offer SaaS solutions, they are reasonably priced and come with excellent service and support (we are now using it for about a year)

"Integration" with TM systems in most cases with translation business management solutions typically consists of reading the analysis files from the CAT tools or in some cases perhaps doing the equivalent via API. I think I recall seeing some further integration with various tools at the two memoQfest events I've attended, and while this has advantages in some scenarios, these may not be so large if you allow your translators receiving assignments significant scope in their choice of working tools or methods.

Working as an agency, where you have to put out quotes and POs for multiple languages and you have to analyse the source files against various TMs, "Integration with TM systems" is key to minimize administrative burden. Plunet integrates with all major TM systems and allows you to define various processes depending on the tools used by customers and/or freelancers.

DanielRejtoe
DanielRejtoe
Germany
Local time: 16:44
Plunet, SaaS & integrations with translation tools Dec 16, 2010

Dear All,

just 2 give you some more information:

SaaS
Yes, we do offer SaaS, Siegfried is absolutely right. If it makes sense for your company depends always on the way you want to run your business. But: Most of our customers are not IT-Freaks and do not have inhouse IT staff and they are very happy without SaaS.

If they do have a Windows PC which is not from the 80ies (please look up the technical requirements on our homepage) it norma
... See more
Dear All,

just 2 give you some more information:

SaaS
Yes, we do offer SaaS, Siegfried is absolutely right. If it makes sense for your company depends always on the way you want to run your business. But: Most of our customers are not IT-Freaks and do not have inhouse IT staff and they are very happy without SaaS.

If they do have a Windows PC which is not from the 80ies (please look up the technical requirements on our homepage) it normally works very smoothly. And of cause we install/configurate everything and give a technical support for our customers. But I do understand the advantages of SaaS which KSL is mentioning - even if SaaS it is not the cheapest way in some cases and has other cons too.

Integrations with TM-Tools
We do have deep integrations with SDL TM Server, memoQ, MultiTrans and Across. I would recommend the MultiLingual articles of Richard Sikes (May 2010) and Madeleine Lenker (December 2010) if you want to have some more input on that.
Plunet memoQManager: http://www.plunet.de/link/news39
Plunet integrations with TM Server, Across & MultiTrans: http://www.plunet.de/link/news1

Plunet in Arabic
Regarding the localization topic: Plunet is actually localized into English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Simplified Chinese and with the new 5.1 version we will also offer Russian, Portuguese and Polish(will be published in January)
=> Arabic languages (I dont know if there are specific technical restrictions) are currently not on our list. But I would say if there is a growing demand there will be a way ; )

Please write me if you have any questions: [email protected]

Greetings from Berlin and a nice Xmas time!
Daniel
Collapse

ewakaczmarek
ewakaczmarek
Poland
ERP software Dec 21, 2021

If you are looking for ERP software, Firmao is an example of such thing. I use it for about a year and I’m very satisfied. This program includes many useful functions to help you run your business.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what is the best ERP and/or SW to manage an LSP

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »