Thread poster: Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Ilze Klotina
Latvia
Local time: 17:40
Japanese to Latvian
+ ...
Jul 29, 2011

I have created a small translations agency with specialization in Asian languages. I am now wondering which translation software could be the most appropriate for us. As a freelancer I have been using OmegaT for quite a long time, but for my agency I would like to purchase something better and more professional. What about Trados? Is it worth purchasing? And if I do, should I purchase a license for each employee or only one for whole agency. We are now only 5 people in the office, but it still w... See more
I have created a small translations agency with specialization in Asian languages. I am now wondering which translation software could be the most appropriate for us. As a freelancer I have been using OmegaT for quite a long time, but for my agency I would like to purchase something better and more professional. What about Trados? Is it worth purchasing? And if I do, should I purchase a license for each employee or only one for whole agency. We are now only 5 people in the office, but it still would be too expensive for us to buy a license for each user.
I would be very thankful for suggestions from other translators of Asian languages - Chinese, Japanese etc. Which CAT tools do you use and why?
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:40
French to German
+ ...
Heartsome / XTM Cloud Jul 29, 2011

Heartsome - http://www.heartsome.net - was first designed with Asian languages in mind and is quite affordable.

Another solution would be the online tool XTM Cloud - http://www.xtm-intl.com/ - which works well and supports as many formats as Trados.

[Edited at 2011-07-29 10:51 GMT]

MartinPorto
MartinPorto  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:40
French to English
+ ...
Not without reason Jul 29, 2011

It is not without reason that a certain CAT tool provider has a huge slice of the market, that does not mean that some of the other CAT tools are no good, the fact is that the big boys in this market were in at the start of this explosive market, if they have reamained at the top, despite the heavy price tag, there is a reason, if you want to be taken seriously, then it seems there is not a huge choice, and the fact remains, TRADOS is the market leader, it is a bit like the Apple vs Microsoft th... See more
It is not without reason that a certain CAT tool provider has a huge slice of the market, that does not mean that some of the other CAT tools are no good, the fact is that the big boys in this market were in at the start of this explosive market, if they have reamained at the top, despite the heavy price tag, there is a reason, if you want to be taken seriously, then it seems there is not a huge choice, and the fact remains, TRADOS is the market leader, it is a bit like the Apple vs Microsoft thing, one has the market share, and people go with the crowd!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good CAT tool for an agency

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »