Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:42
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Sep 21, 2007

I'm translating files created from Framemaker in SDLX. When I create the translation, they file is .mif. I do not own framemaker, but would like to view the files. Does anybody know if that is possible. I do not want to install Framemaker evaluation version.
Regards
Heinrich

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:42
English to German
+ ...
FrameMakerViewer Sep 21, 2007

There used to be a software called FrameMakerViewer or FrameViewer, which offered to view FrameMaker files without editing them (much like WordViewer, ExcelViewer, etc.). I am not sure it is/was actually free.

However, I cannot find that software for download from Adobe anymore. My guess is that they discontinued its development. Maybe you are able to find it somewhere on the Internet.

However, AFAIK, .mif files are just exported FrameMaker files. I.e., not all formatti
... See more
There used to be a software called FrameMakerViewer or FrameViewer, which offered to view FrameMaker files without editing them (much like WordViewer, ExcelViewer, etc.). I am not sure it is/was actually free.

However, I cannot find that software for download from Adobe anymore. My guess is that they discontinued its development. Maybe you are able to find it somewhere on the Internet.

However, AFAIK, .mif files are just exported FrameMaker files. I.e., not all formatting information is present in .mif files. At least, that is what I was told (but this information may be wrong).

HTH.

Sonja

[Bearbeitet am 2007-09-21 09:07]
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
$33,95 Sep 21, 2007

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:
I am not sure it is/was actually free.

Obviously, it isn't. Found it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Frameviewer-Single-License-Unix/dp/B00004THP2

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:42
English to Swedish
+ ...
A workaround Sep 25, 2007

Hi Heinrich and all,

Since FrameViewer is such an obsolete suite, I wouldn't even guarantee that it's compatible with recent files.

A workaround if you have Trados. In TagEditor, I found the preview templates to be very useful. If you try opening the file in TE, use the TableView plugin for instance, and you have an easy overview of all segments!

Best,

Jan

tlmurray (X)
tlmurray (X)
Local time: 13:42
English
Download the evaluation version Sep 29, 2007

Pick up the evaluation FrameMaker from Adobe for 30 days.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to view Framemaker files without FM

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »