Swordfish on Mac OS - who can share experience?
Thread poster: Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:56
Member (2005)
English to German
Feb 12, 2010

Good morning (where applicable),
just read a posting in a different topic about using Swordfish on Macs.

Wondering if there was any hands-on experience out there? I would be specifically interested in learning about performance & handling in comparison to the traditional tools of the trade, such as Trados & co and what the flaws are / potential compatibility issues.

Looked at the video tutorial, concept looked alright, a bit of a DVX smell to it, but that's not a
... See more
Good morning (where applicable),
just read a posting in a different topic about using Swordfish on Macs.

Wondering if there was any hands-on experience out there? I would be specifically interested in learning about performance & handling in comparison to the traditional tools of the trade, such as Trados & co and what the flaws are / potential compatibility issues.

Looked at the video tutorial, concept looked alright, a bit of a DVX smell to it, but that's not a disadvantage at all.

Thank you for your time,

Stefan Budrich
tsglobal lsp
Saarbrücken Germany

PS: if the developer(s) is/are here - I don't mind a contact via pm at all
Collapse

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
There is a Swordfish support forum with Mac users, too Feb 12, 2010

But you need to subscribe to: swordfish_support[at]yahoogroups.com

Hope this helps,

Piotr

Grayson Morr (X)
Grayson Morr (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Can't compare to Trados.... Feb 12, 2010

...but I like Swordfish very much. I am near the end of the 30-day trial and will be purchasing it. It's quite robust - I leave it open for two weeks at a time, or longer, and it's never frozen or crashed on me - and I've found it a useful addition, especially for the concordance search and glossary features (though those are, of course, common to all CAT tools). The support group Piotr recommended is great; Rodolfo, the developer, provides quite possibly the best customer service I have ever ex... See more
...but I like Swordfish very much. I am near the end of the 30-day trial and will be purchasing it. It's quite robust - I leave it open for two weeks at a time, or longer, and it's never frozen or crashed on me - and I've found it a useful addition, especially for the concordance search and glossary features (though those are, of course, common to all CAT tools). The support group Piotr recommended is great; Rodolfo, the developer, provides quite possibly the best customer service I have ever experienced. He goes above and beyond the call of duty....I hope it doesn't wear him out!

ETA: I'm on a Macbook 5.1 OS X 10.5.8 (Leopard), using Swordfish II Carbon build (Cocoa did not work for me, strangely).

[Edited at 2010-02-12 09:26 GMT]
Collapse

Celine Gras
Celine Gras  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Interested to read others' experiences as well Feb 12, 2010

Hi Stefan,

You are probably referring to my post yesterday.

Even though I cannot give a proper feedback yet, since I have only been using SwordFish II for about 1 week, I can nevertheless say that 1) I like it very much, and 2) Rodolfo is indeed very active on the Yahoo list. I have asked a lot of newbie question this week and I have received prompt and accurate reply each time, from him (mostly) or other list members.

I'm on a MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2.
... See more
Hi Stefan,

You are probably referring to my post yesterday.

Even though I cannot give a proper feedback yet, since I have only been using SwordFish II for about 1 week, I can nevertheless say that 1) I like it very much, and 2) Rodolfo is indeed very active on the Yahoo list. I have asked a lot of newbie question this week and I have received prompt and accurate reply each time, from him (mostly) or other list members.

I'm on a MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2.

I would be interested to learn about others as well.
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
What exactly would you like to know? Feb 12, 2010

Hello Stefan, guten Morgen aus Forbach (10 kms away from Saarbrücken).

What exactly would you like to know?

Swordfish works with open-source formats (XLIFF, SRX, TBX), can import TM in TMX formats.

Compatible files (OpenOffice, new MS Office formats, TTX and so on) are converted for processing into XLIFF. After the translation is completed, the files are converted back to the original format - there are no so-called "unclean files".

You can u
... See more
Hello Stefan, guten Morgen aus Forbach (10 kms away from Saarbrücken).

What exactly would you like to know?

Swordfish works with open-source formats (XLIFF, SRX, TBX), can import TM in TMX formats.

Compatible files (OpenOffice, new MS Office formats, TTX and so on) are converted for processing into XLIFF. After the translation is completed, the files are converted back to the original format - there are no so-called "unclean files".

You can use more than one TM / TDB at a time and create those either in the internal format, in MySQL 5.x, in Oracle and in SQL Server.

The interface can be customised and is also available in German.

SF comes with some other applications, like a PropViewer, an SRX editor, a TMX validator etc.

There are no limitations as per the source/target languages you can select.

Disclaimer: this is not an advertisement and gives only a short reply to your question.

HTH

PS: Rodolfo Raya has a profile on ProZ.com.

My platform: iMac with Mac OS X 10.6.2

[Edited at 2010-02-12 11:12 GMT]
Collapse

Stefan Budrich
Stefan Budrich  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Sowrdfish on Mac - thank you for your comments Feb 15, 2010

Dear all,
thank you very much for your valuable input re Swordfish.
I will look at the yahoo group & will go ahead and download the demo version in order to evaluate.

@ Laurent - toujours un plaisir de rencontrer un voisin - si vous êtes à Sarrebruck, allez voir notre agence, s'il vous plaît.

Thanks again
Stefan

Roel Verschueren
Roel Verschueren  Identity Verified
Austria
English to Dutch
+ ...
Works very well Feb 15, 2010

Hi,

I have been using the CAT-tool Swordfish for a month now and decided to purchase it.
Rodolfo is extremely fast in answering questions and solving problems, I hope he continues doing this, also when more and more Mac-users turn to it.

I am on an Intel Core 2 Duo with MacOSX 10.6.2 and prefer the Swordfish interface to Wordfast.

The Yahoo support group is great, sometimes difficult to find the topic I'm interested in, and a new manual (extended) wou
... See more
Hi,

I have been using the CAT-tool Swordfish for a month now and decided to purchase it.
Rodolfo is extremely fast in answering questions and solving problems, I hope he continues doing this, also when more and more Mac-users turn to it.

I am on an Intel Core 2 Duo with MacOSX 10.6.2 and prefer the Swordfish interface to Wordfast.

The Yahoo support group is great, sometimes difficult to find the topic I'm interested in, and a new manual (extended) would be great, I'm sure that Rodolfo is working on it.

Roel
Collapse

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Waiting... Feb 15, 2010

Roel Verschueren wrote:

The Yahoo support group is great, sometimes difficult to find the topic I'm interested in, and a new manual (extended) would be great, I'm sure that Rodolfo is working on it.

Roel

Actually, some of us are waiting for the "final" release of Swordfish II.

[Edited at 2010-02-15 18:12 GMT]

John Rynne
John Rynne  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've been using Swordfish for several years Aug 17, 2010

I can't compare with Trados as I've never used it. I am very pleased with Swordfish on Mac. We've used it for 2 years now (or maybe 3, I don't remember).

We have our databases in MySQL running on a separate PowerMac.

It is a solid platform (we translate about 2 million words per year with it) and is advancing steadily. Support is excellent.

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Swordfish on Mac OS - who can share experience?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »