Ray Culp
Germany
Local time: 12:29
English to German
+ ...
Feb 10, 2013

Hi all,

I'm helping a friend with a very perplexing problem:

A CS6 InDesign file is exported to *.ttc, using InDesign Gate.

The *.ttc file is opened with Transit and translated.

A new *.ttc file is exported from Transit and opened with InDesign.

Text (complete segments) in the source language shows up in the InDesign file together with translated text, (also complete segments), even though *all* segments are definitely translated i
... See more
Hi all,

I'm helping a friend with a very perplexing problem:

A CS6 InDesign file is exported to *.ttc, using InDesign Gate.

The *.ttc file is opened with Transit and translated.

A new *.ttc file is exported from Transit and opened with InDesign.

Text (complete segments) in the source language shows up in the InDesign file together with translated text, (also complete segments), even though *all* segments are definitely translated in Transit and the status set to "translated". There has been nothing we could do to eradicate the problem (i.e. make only translated segments show up properly in all cases).

This is not the first time this has happened. Up till now we thought that it might have something to do with variables in the InDesign file, but the huge amount of text in the source language, which is showing up in this latest file is making us wonder.

I have combed through all Transit project files using a hex editor, and the only place I can find these blocks of source language is in the *.mtx and *.eng (source language) files. To eliminate the *.mtx as the cause of the problem, I renamed it and exported the *.ttc again. Still same problem. To eliminate the *.eng as the cause, I copied the contents of the target language to the *.eng file. Still same problem.

I have even copied the *.ttc file to a local drive and disconnected the computer from the network (where the rest of the *.indd files are stored) and opened it from there, to be sure that InDesign is not somehow accessing the original *.indd files and copying something over to the translation from them.

All of this has failed and I have absolutely no idea where to look next. I did notice, however, that the exported *.ttc file contains a large amount of binary code, which is not human-eye-readable. No telling what's hiding in there.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Ray
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
hm Feb 10, 2013

Looks like a problem with CS6 filter.
I'd convert the file to CS5.5 and reimport it with the existing translated language pairs as reference material (copy the existings language pairs somewhere else, so that they won't be overwritten, define them as the only reference material for the project and reimport the files. Set "do not translate if variants exist" (somehow like this), and after reimport try to export it again. If it works, check whether everything's translated, translate the untr
... See more
Looks like a problem with CS6 filter.
I'd convert the file to CS5.5 and reimport it with the existing translated language pairs as reference material (copy the existings language pairs somewhere else, so that they won't be overwritten, define them as the only reference material for the project and reimport the files. Set "do not translate if variants exist" (somehow like this), and after reimport try to export it again. If it works, check whether everything's translated, translate the untranslated parts (with fuzzies) and export again.
Collapse

Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not working Feb 11, 2013

Thanks for your response.

We exported the *.indd file from CS6 as *.idml and opened it with CS4.

We exported a new *.ttc file to be translated from CS4.

We created a new project in Transit and used the first project as reference material.

The translation completed successfully.

We exported the finished *.ttc and opened it with CS4.

Still same problem.

We went back and ensured that the "offending" segments
... See more
Thanks for your response.

We exported the *.indd file from CS6 as *.idml and opened it with CS4.

We exported a new *.ttc file to be translated from CS4.

We created a new project in Transit and used the first project as reference material.

The translation completed successfully.

We exported the finished *.ttc and opened it with CS4.

Still same problem.

We went back and ensured that the "offending" segments were actually translated and marked as such. They are.

EDIT:

We also re-exported the partially translated file from CS4, created a third project based on the second one, re-exported it, and opened it in CS4. Still no luck.

I will add some information, which may or may not be helpful:

During this project, which consists of several *.indd files, we have been seeing XML warnings when exporting the project from Transit XV that look like this:

Export Project

Warnings:

Untitled_CS4 : German :
Untitled_CS4 : German : [Filtering] Warning: XML format violation. (Line: 27 Position: 102)

The export completes anyway and the resulting *.ttc file can be opened with InDesign.

I have located the source of these warnings and can make them go away:

The *.ENG and *.DEU language pairs which result from importing the *.ttc file contain XML code that Transit XV doesn't seem to "like" when exporting. These are &eoe; and &soe;. They correspond to < and >. By changing this code to & #60 ; or & lt ; and & #62 ; or & gt ; (I had to add spaces, it was showing < >), the warnings disappear.

This, however, has no effect on the original problem.

[Edited at 2013-02-11 15:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-11 15:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-11 15:49 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-02-11 17:48 GMT]
Collapse

AlSqur (X)
AlSqur (X)
xv Feb 11, 2013

You mentioned you are using Transit XV.
Transit XV supports only CS1-CS3 formats. For later formats you need Transit NXT. Even for CS6 you need the latest version of Transit NXT, which ist has been released only recently!

Ray Culp
Ray Culp
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Feb 12, 2013

This may be the source of the errors. I'll get back to you as soon as I know more.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

InDesign Gate: Text in source language showing up in finished translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »