'Learn English, cut translation costs' says British deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg

This discussion belongs to Translation news » "'Learn English, cut translation costs' says British deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg ".
You can see the translation news page and participate in this discussion from there.

Mark
Mark
Local time: 04:18
italština -> angličtina
Um… Mar 26, 2013

If translation for those who need it is acceptable, how would this cut costs? One translation presumably helps many people in most cases, and if the number of people halved, the translation would cost the same.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
švédština -> angličtina
Um.. um.. Mar 26, 2013

Another example of political incompetence? Does the idea apply to other odd languages?

Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm
Anna Spanoudaki-Thurm  Identity Verified
Německo
němčina -> řečtina
+ ...
context Mar 27, 2013

This is a perfect example to demonstrate how important context is. I also found the statement in the title provoking. After reading the article, though, I wonder what is wrong about what the man said? Cutting translation/interpretation costs is good. Not for us translators and not for the interpreters, ok, but for everybody else. He stresses the necessity that people whose language is not english get assistance at the doctor or at public offices, but says that they should learn English so that t... See more
This is a perfect example to demonstrate how important context is. I also found the statement in the title provoking. After reading the article, though, I wonder what is wrong about what the man said? Cutting translation/interpretation costs is good. Not for us translators and not for the interpreters, ok, but for everybody else. He stresses the necessity that people whose language is not english get assistance at the doctor or at public offices, but says that they should learn English so that they don't *need* this help. I find this is the attitude a state should have. When my child needs my help, I offer it. I see, however, that she develops the necessary skills not to need my help.

[Note: I am all for respecting all languages, for translating European legislation in all European languages, for schools for minorities, user manuals in Greek for products that are sold in Greece. This is just not the point here.]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderátor/moderátoři tohoto fóra
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

'Learn English, cut translation costs' says British deputy prime minister, Nick Clegg

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »