Thread poster: Anke Guido
Anke Guido
Anke Guido
Local time: 10:19
English to German
+ ...
Aug 5, 2010

Dear everyone,

it seems my question will be overlooked in the "Windows and Trados 2007" thread. I suppose I should have posted it as a separate topic to begin with. Well, here is my problem again:

I will have to get a new laptop soon. I still use Trados 2006 with Windows XP and I wouldn't like to update to another Trados version right now (the laptop will cost me a lot already...).

I'm wondering which Windows version to get with the new laptop. XP is just p
... See more
Dear everyone,

it seems my question will be overlooked in the "Windows and Trados 2007" thread. I suppose I should have posted it as a separate topic to begin with. Well, here is my problem again:

I will have to get a new laptop soon. I still use Trados 2006 with Windows XP and I wouldn't like to update to another Trados version right now (the laptop will cost me a lot already...).

I'm wondering which Windows version to get with the new laptop. XP is just perfect for all the programmes I use at present, but I suppose Windows 7 would be the better option for new programmes in future. Of course, I could replace XP by Windows 7 at a future date, but that seems like going to a lot of trouble.

My question now is: does Trados 2006 run well with Windows 7?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.
Anke
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:19
Swedish to English
+ ...
Word Aug 5, 2010

I use Win XP with Trados 2007, because it works, and moving to a new operating system is always a time-consuming and even risky business. Better the devil you know.

But a much more important issue for you is what version of Microsoft's Word you have. As I understand it, current versions of Word (2007, 2010) do not support Basic for Applications. Trados 2006 needs that, Trados 2009 does not. That could be a deciding factor.

Anke Guido
Anke Guido
Local time: 10:19
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
which Windows version? Aug 6, 2010

Thanks for your reply, Peter. I suppose a compatibility issue regarding Office was to be expected... My oldish version works fine, and getting a new one would be ok, too.

I'm still not any the wiser, though, which Windows version to use. Hope I'll get some replies to that question:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows and Trados 2006?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »