Mouse
Thread poster: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:24
Spanish to English
Jun 2, 2018

Since about a week ago, my mouse software has started playing up. I swapped the mouse and still have to same problem, which is that when I select text, I have to click at the end of the selected bit for it to work. If I omit the final click, it just keeps on highlighting the text. This is really slowing down all my work and I have googled loads to find a solution, but without any luck.

I hope some wise person can suggest something I haven't thought of.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 22:24
German to French
+ ...
What you didn't say Jun 3, 2018

Lesley Clarke wrote:

I hope some wise person can suggest something I haven't thought of.

Without a minimum of information, it's quite impossible to suggest something useful:

- what kind of computer?
- which operating system?
- what kind of mouse?

If you swapped the mouse, it could just be a driver issue. How to fix it depends of the above mentioned questions.

Good luck!

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 15:24
English to Spanish
Control panel Jun 3, 2018

Check your advanced mouse settings, there is an option that enables this behaviour. https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/turn-on-click-lock-in-windows-10.html

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:24
English to French
Accessibility Jun 4, 2018

Lesley Clarke wrote:
when I select text, I have to click at the end of the selected bit for it to work. If I omit the final click, it just keeps on highlighting the text.

This sounds like a behaviour that would be helpful for people who can't control their finger/hands gestures with accuracy.
I suspect it may be an "Accessibility" feature you enabled accidentally (like locking the Shift key if you press it for too long).

Philippe

EDIT: Actually it may be what Roy suggested above. I don't know Windows 10

[Edited at 2018-06-04 07:41 GMT]

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:24
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks, problem solved Jun 4, 2018

Thanks everyone and many thanks to Roy. Your solution did the job and finally I can get back to my normal working speed. Phew!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mouse

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »