United Kingdom
Local time: 02:37
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 17, 2009

Hello,
Operating System: Windows XP.
I usually use two screens. My main PC is a laptop, and I would connect the old desktop screen to it, and that worked really well. I have recently had to revert to the desktop as my main PC (no problems with the laptop itself, just an application thing). How do I enable a dual-screen set up? If it involves getting a graphics card, how easy is this to instal, and can you recommend a retailer?
Regards,

Carlos.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
MS Virtual Desktop Manager Nov 17, 2009

A partial answer could be the Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager, available from this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

It enables you to switch between 4 different contents of the desktop, using a single monitor, either by clicking icons (1 - 4) on the taskbar or with a keyboard shortcut (Windows
... See more
A partial answer could be the Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager, available from this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/Downloads/powertoys/Xppowertoys.mspx

It enables you to switch between 4 different contents of the desktop, using a single monitor, either by clicking icons (1 - 4) on the taskbar or with a keyboard shortcut (Windows + 1, 2, 3 or 4)

HTH a little,
Oliver
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
graphics card Nov 17, 2009

Check how many output ports your card has. If there are two (the one you're using plus a free one), you're good to go. If it has just one, time to go graphics card shopping.

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:37
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
install Radmin Nov 17, 2009

And have the second PC's (or laptop's) desctop in a separate window. You can launch some applications there to distribute the working load.

The laptop will look as follows.

You can also use it in full-screen mode or resize dragging the corners.

Carlos Alvarez
Carlos Alvarez  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Nov 19, 2009

Thanks everyone.
FarkasAndras: there's only one socket that can take the screen cable on my PC.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
English to Hungarian
+ ...
New card Nov 19, 2009

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

Radmin

That serves a completely different purpose. The OP wants to use two monitors on one PC and not the other way around.

Sp and Fr to En wrote:

Thanks everyone.
FarkasAndras: there's only one socket that can take the screen cable on my PC.

As far as I can tell, you need a new graphics card (aka video card) then. (There are esoteric soutions for running a monitor off of a USB port and things like that but they don't seem to be too enticing to me.) As to what card to get and how much you'd need to spend, I have no clue.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dual-screen set-up

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »