Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Local time: 03:00
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 3, 2008

Hello everybody,

I´ve got a big speed internet connection of 32 MB.
What could it be good for? What is the use of a very quick connection for a translator?
How do you use it?

[Editado a las 2008-12-03 17:21 GMT]

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Up to you Dec 3, 2008

Why did you buy it if you have no plan what you want to do with it?
Do a little brainstorming and research on your own, and let us know the results.

Siegfried

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Downloading movies Dec 3, 2008

and very big pdf-files. But not much more I'm afraid.
There was a test this month, where internet connections of 6, 16 and 100 Mb were compared. For normal browsing the speed differences are hardly noticeable, only when downloading very large files (video) is there a real advantage.
For us the upload speed is more important, and there the differences are rather small between different asynchronous connections.
Of course if many machines are connected to the same modem the speed
... See more
and very big pdf-files. But not much more I'm afraid.
There was a test this month, where internet connections of 6, 16 and 100 Mb were compared. For normal browsing the speed differences are hardly noticeable, only when downloading very large files (video) is there a real advantage.
For us the upload speed is more important, and there the differences are rather small between different asynchronous connections.
Of course if many machines are connected to the same modem the speed advantage would be more practical.
Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Non-symmetrical DSL Dec 3, 2008

Non-symmetrical is the general practice for DSL in Spain. We have a 10 MB downlink/300 KB uplink connection and are very happy with it. We get big files continuously, and our 10 MB link is lovely to have. We would enjoy a faster uplink... at a reasonable price!

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not much Dec 3, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

Hello everybody,

I´ve got a big speed internet connection of 32 MB.
What could it be good for? What is the use of a very quick connection for a translator?
How do you use it?

High speeds only matter if you dl large files AND the other party can hold up their end of the connection at similar speed... which rarely happens at 32 Mb/s (lowercase b, dl speeds are in megabit/s and not megabyte/s if I'm not mistaken). At least that is my experience, although I have not done extensive tests.
If you use bittorrent (for work, you probably don't) or some sort of special file transmission arrangement (dl from someone's fast FTP server), then yes, it will be an improvement. But it won't make proz.com load faster.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
A lot of things Dec 3, 2008

First, MB is not a speed measure

32 MBit/s is a lot, where you get this service? I have 18 Mbit/s and this is not bad.

For what?
You can open a browser (or more), Skype, see Internet TV, use your virtual server, synchronize your mobile device, use your FTPs account, use service like MobileMe, Dropbox, or access to your PC from other place with a remote service like GoToMyPC and, and, and...
... See more
First, MB is not a speed measure

32 MBit/s is a lot, where you get this service? I have 18 Mbit/s and this is not bad.

For what?
You can open a browser (or more), Skype, see Internet TV, use your virtual server, synchronize your mobile device, use your FTPs account, use service like MobileMe, Dropbox, or access to your PC from other place with a remote service like GoToMyPC and, and, and...

All of this services work fine with less transfer rate (most of them can actually not work with more than 8 Mbit/s) but with your 32 MBit/s you can use all of them at the same time. and use your router for a Skype telephon, internet radio, laptop, PC. at the same time
For example you can see all the champion league games at the same time with programs like Ants, sopcast, justin.tv, and, and, and...

For translation?

Maybe for SDL Trados Server if you work with a team, or so.

and of course, for remote access to your home PC with GoToMyPc or PC AnyWhere or any other solution.

Regards

[Edited at 2008-12-04 08:26 GMT]
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Depends Dec 3, 2008

What is the use of a very quick connection for a translator?

There's absolutely no use for translators. As it's already mentioned, it is useful if you are a heavy downloader (HD movies, etc).

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being critical and innovator as always Dec 4, 2008

It´s no use for translators.
I think this was one of the main critics from older translators to the Internet in general before they realize that it could be very, very useful.
Just think about it, because 32 Mb or MB(what is correct, please?) will be very soon standard.

What could you do with 32 Mb that you don´t do now because you only have 1 Mb or less.?

Possible uses/advantages:
-online translation with online tools (for example in a browser)
... See more
It´s no use for translators.
I think this was one of the main critics from older translators to the Internet in general before they realize that it could be very, very useful.
Just think about it, because 32 Mb or MB(what is correct, please?) will be very soon standard.

What could you do with 32 Mb that you don´t do now because you only have 1 Mb or less.?

Possible uses/advantages:
-online translation with online tools (for example in a browser)
-quicker searches (just 1 second for search could make a difference)
-quicker response for download of very big files (like very big xml or media files)

Any experiences with fast connections?
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Throughput limitations Dec 4, 2008

Well, we may have 100 MB, but in our case the matter is whether our customers (as some of ours do) have limits set in the throughput they assign to each connection.

For instance, even if we have 10 Mbit (Mb is correct, as it stands for megabit), we can only download at 70 or 100 Kb from the FTP sites of some customers, as they don't want to lose their own uplink speed when the translators of 20 different languages download the heavy materials required for a job when a project is lau
... See more
Well, we may have 100 MB, but in our case the matter is whether our customers (as some of ours do) have limits set in the throughput they assign to each connection.

For instance, even if we have 10 Mbit (Mb is correct, as it stands for megabit), we can only download at 70 or 100 Kb from the FTP sites of some customers, as they don't want to lose their own uplink speed when the translators of 20 different languages download the heavy materials required for a job when a project is launched. Still, 70 or 100 Kb still sounds like a reasonable speed to me, as you can do other things while downloading and very urgent translations are most frequently requested by email with a small file.

Uplink speeds might be quite a matter, as it slows us down then YouSendIt-ing, emailing or FTP-ing heavy, graphic-intensive pieces of work. Ensuring that your uplink is fast enough for your usual work is a must.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:00
English to French
+ ...
Old technology - or is it? Dec 4, 2008

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

56K has long been out of fashion. Yet, there are still many people who happily pay for a 56K connection. Some people may throw tomatoes at me for saying this, but it is still feasible to use a 56K connection for translation. The types of files you would be able to handle is another matter, but some of us only do press releases and birth certificates.

Some three years ago, I only had a 128K connection. The only thing that bothered me about it was that the ISP limited monthly downloads to 2Gb, which I outgrew somewhat. That is the only reason I switched to high speed. If such a limit didn't exist, I would most likely still be using that 128K connection.

Oldies, but still goodies.

esalm fouad
esalm fouad
Egypt
Local time: 04:00
English to Arabic
+ ...
for translation ? hmm Jan 30, 2009

there is nothing to do in translation field
the best thing is to download and upload files ..
watching movies , shampion league online ..
by this speed you can also make your pc FTP server if you want to share files : d

that's it

by the wat we still work here with the 256 kb connection lol !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

32 MB speed

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »