Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:01
Flemish to English
+ ...
Jun 8, 2011

My hard-disk is 1TB of which about 500 gigabytes is used. Those 500 gig.are documents, pictures, video, audio and programmes. I am aware about the cloud-hypen but this means sharing with others, something that I am not inclined to do with regard to private letters, private documents,....
So, I was wondering if there is such a thing as a free//paid secure,storage-service.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:01
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
-- Jun 8, 2011

I would just consider buying another large disk and keep everything safely at home...

Natalia

Nickolas Dagostino (X)
Nickolas Dagostino (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
Portuguese to English
saving in the cloud Jun 8, 2011

Most, if not all, of these services allow you to use your own encryption key. If you create a good key, your data will be completely safe -- even if the backup company is physically attacked and all of their servers taken to some secret, evil hacker lair. In other words, choose a password that is long and mixes letters, numbers, symbols, and case).

I used to use Mozy but now use CrashPlan. I'm very pleased with the service.

To me, any professional who doesn't keep reg
... See more
Most, if not all, of these services allow you to use your own encryption key. If you create a good key, your data will be completely safe -- even if the backup company is physically attacked and all of their servers taken to some secret, evil hacker lair. In other words, choose a password that is long and mixes letters, numbers, symbols, and case).

I used to use Mozy but now use CrashPlan. I'm very pleased with the service.

To me, any professional who doesn't keep regular backups - both local and remote - is not being very professional.

btw, An online storage system doesn't lend itself to "whole" disk backups. That is, they don't work well for cloning your drive for an immediate recovery to a new hard drive. What they do do very well is to backup all your data files - music, pictures, translation memories, etc.

I should add, a internet connection is pretty much required for any of these services. Otherwise, you're gonna spend 6 months just uploading your data (caveat: there are some alternatives that exist for the initial upload).

-nick
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:01
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A visit from burglars. Jun 8, 2011

Natalie wrote:

I would just consider buying another large disk and keep everything safely at home...
Natalia

What if your house burns down or burglars pay a visit and steal your pc+hard-disks.
The latter happened to one of my aquaintances. Fortunately, he kept a clone at his parent's home. Pity that it is not possible to transfer everything to an encrypted cloud, so that the only thing you need to do in a worst case scenario is download it to a new h.d. on a T1-line.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 20:01
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
No problems Jun 8, 2011

Just keep your backup copy in a different place

You know, your copies on the cloud are also not 100% safe - server failure, internet failure, hacker's attack, etc. etc. etc.

[Edited at 2011-06-08 14:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

On-line mass storage sites

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »