e-mail client & Gmail - issue with sending and receiving e-mails [SOLVED]
Thread poster: Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:17
German to Lithuanian
Nov 4, 2011

I'm wondering, if anybody else is experiencing problems with sending and receiving e-mails with an e-mail client (I am using Mozilla Thunderbird) in the past 2-3 weeks.
Sometimes I have to spend 1/2 h, till an e-mail is sent. The error says something about rejecting connection to the gmail server (can't say exactly, its in Lithuanian).
This is really nervous, especially, when the deadline has come

[Windows
... See more
I'm wondering, if anybody else is experiencing problems with sending and receiving e-mails with an e-mail client (I am using Mozilla Thunderbird) in the past 2-3 weeks.
Sometimes I have to spend 1/2 h, till an e-mail is sent. The error says something about rejecting connection to the gmail server (can't say exactly, its in Lithuanian).
This is really nervous, especially, when the deadline has come

[Windows 7 64bit, Internet connection is stable, have tried another client - "the Bat" - the problem is the same; both imap.googlemail.com and imap.gmail.com don't work normally]

[Redaguota 2011-11-04 10:57 GMT]
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Drop Thunderbird Nov 4, 2011

Why don't you just drop Thunderbird and log on to gmail.com? This way you'll be able to see whether there's a problem on Google's side or the problem is caused by Thunderbird.

XXXphxxx (X)
XXXphxxx (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:17
Portuguese to English
+ ...
No problems with Outlook+ gmail Nov 4, 2011

I have 2 gmail accounts (1 for work, 1 for personal stuff) - I send and receive hundreds of emails a day. I haven't noticed any problems.

Anette Hilgendag
Anette Hilgendag  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:17
English to German
+ ...
Happens to me as well Nov 4, 2011

I have been encountering the same bug for a while, not only with my Gmail accounts but also with my main accounts. Seems to be a problem of Mozilla.
Shutting down the email and opening it again helps.

Egidijus Slepetys
German to Lithuanian
TOPIC STARTER
Restarting doesn't help :( Nov 4, 2011

@Lisa
thanks, I'll try it with Outlook. I actually stopped using MS Outlook a couple month ago, because it is really heavy and runs slow even on a brand new PC.

@Anette,
thanks for the post.
Unfortunately, when I am launching Thunderbird, it promptly says about the connection problem.
I am beginning to consider the old-good-simple---time-consuming---reinstall-windows solution

Vitals
Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Some problems, too... Nov 4, 2011

Hallo, Egidijau.

I have recently had some problems with Gmail - one client sent two emails which did not reach me, so had to give them my Yahoo one and only then it worked fine.

Hope those problems will not prevail...

Best regards,
Vitalijus

Egidijus Slepetys
German to Lithuanian
TOPIC STARTER
solved! Nov 4, 2011

@Epameinondas
google web-mail works fine.

@Vitalijus
it happened to me once too. actually the mail was landed in the spam folder.

SOLUTION: power OFF and ON of the box, that connects me to the Internet. How simple is that! Mine is always on and it was long time ago since I rebooted it. As you know, these boxes are some kind of computer today, they are programmable. So I think, sometimes they
... See more
@Epameinondas
google web-mail works fine.

@Vitalijus
it happened to me once too. actually the mail was landed in the spam folder.

SOLUTION: power OFF and ON of the box, that connects me to the Internet. How simple is that! Mine is always on and it was long time ago since I rebooted it. As you know, these boxes are some kind of computer today, they are programmable. So I think, sometimes they want to be rebooted as well as PCs.

Actually it is amazing, how posting an issue in the forum gives an inspiration to look for other solutions, thank you all very much for your help!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

e-mail client & Gmail - issue with sending and receiving e-mails [SOLVED]

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »