Possible privacy issues with a Google experiment: including email in the searches
Thread poster: Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 9, 2012

Dear colleagues and nevertheless friends,

I refer to this article:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/internet/3374887/google-tries-showing-gmail-emails-in-search-results/

Apparently Google is considering the inclusion of the contents of users' Gmail accounts in the searches.

No, this is n
... See more

I refer to this article:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/internet/3374887/google-tries-showing-gmail-emails-in-search-results/

Apparently Google is considering the inclusion of the contents of users' Gmail accounts in the searches.

No, this is not about the possibility that Google will show you other people's emails --I think Google would not do that--, but to me it is sufficiently dangerous to think that your email information can be shown on screen to anyone who uses your computer to do searches, e.g. visitors, children, spouses, unknown people in a shared machine...

Looks like it is time for professional translators to stop using Gmail once for all?

I look forward to your opinions.
Collapse

Annamaria Amik
Annamaria Amik  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:57
Romanian to English
+ ...
Personal searches only? Aug 9, 2012

I am not that familiar with search engines, but what I understand from the article is that the e-mail search results are shown only if you are logged in to your Gmail account while searching with Google.
Yeah, it's scary enough because who knows what may happen later...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I would worry Aug 9, 2012

Yes, I would worry if, for example, I had emailed an invoice to someone using Gmail.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:57
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Ha aha Aug 9, 2012

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Cheers Aug 9, 2012

Tom in London wrote:

I know, I know...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Curate's eggs Aug 9, 2012

I don't know why, but I have always been slightly suspicious of Gmail anyway. Maybe it's the interface, which I find quite annoying to use, since it takes me ages to find some of the most basic functions. I only really use it as yet another backup email, and find some of its features, like attachment volumes, are quite good.
However, my overall impression is that it suffers too much from the obsession this type of provider seems to have with "linking" everything, so that these apps invad
... See more
I don't know why, but I have always been slightly suspicious of Gmail anyway. Maybe it's the interface, which I find quite annoying to use, since it takes me ages to find some of the most basic functions. I only really use it as yet another backup email, and find some of its features, like attachment volumes, are quite good.
However, my overall impression is that it suffers too much from the obsession this type of provider seems to have with "linking" everything, so that these apps invade and pervade every nook and cranny of our cyber landscape. The latest Facebook intrusion into webmails like Yahoo and Hotmail is a prime example.

[Edited at 2012-08-09 11:24 GMT]
Collapse

Teresa Gutiérrez
Teresa Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
danger, danger Aug 9, 2012

hello "dear colleagues and nevertheless friends" ( I love that one, Tomás, thanks! )

I agree with you that this Google feature could be dangerous. At least it doesn't make me feel comfortable to begin with.

Didn't try it yet, but as a minimum requirement I would ask Google to allow the user to set it on/off on a user/password request. I suppose (and hope!) they will think of some kind of confidentiality
... See more
hello "dear colleagues and nevertheless friends" ( I love that one, Tomás, thanks! )

I agree with you that this Google feature could be dangerous. At least it doesn't make me feel comfortable to begin with.

Didn't try it yet, but as a minimum requirement I would ask Google to allow the user to set it on/off on a user/password request. I suppose (and hope!) they will think of some kind of confidentiality preservation feature.

Lets keep an eye on this.
Collapse

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:57
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Isn't this same for other freemail addresses? Aug 9, 2012

I refer to this article:

No, this is not about the possibility that Google will show you other people's emails --I think Google would not do that--, but to me it is sufficiently dangerous to think that your email information can be shown on screen to anyone who uses your computer to do searches, e.g. visitors, children, spouses, unknown people in a shared machine...

Looks like it is time for professional translators to stop using Gmail once for all?

I look forward to your opinions.

I have a few backup Yahoo accounts which I rarely use these days, and whenever I log out and log in, a message saying "Please tick off the checkmark if you are sharing this machine" in my language.

So, if I log into my Yahoo account from someone else's computer and if I tick the check mark, and forget to tick it off, the person using that computer could access my account and even read the countless junk mails and the important ones and even send spams.

As to the gmail accounts and other freemail accounts used by translators as their primary email addresses, I guess they just have to learn their lesson the hard way by getting hacked into and have their identities stolen.

MedPharm
MedPharm  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
It might be a cause for concern. Aug 9, 2012

I would not dismiss Gmail accounts on the whole as inappropriate for different types of business relations, though.

I have used Yahoo since the early days and stills serves me well for some purposes.
At one time I opened a Gmail account and had it for a number of years without ever using it, but I have used it quite often recently.

I have had corporate email accounts required by some professional institutions and they have served me well, but those in the professi
... See more
I would not dismiss Gmail accounts on the whole as inappropriate for different types of business relations, though.

I have used Yahoo since the early days and stills serves me well for some purposes.
At one time I opened a Gmail account and had it for a number of years without ever using it, but I have used it quite often recently.

I have had corporate email accounts required by some professional institutions and they have served me well, but those in the profession received more spam and fake messages than I have ever seen.

Another professional institution, to my surprise, did not have a corporate account and still works well with different email accounts.

I also have my own domain and email account, and use them.

Back to Gmail, the privacy issue is what bothers me and I will follow up on this closely.

Thanks for bringing up the subject.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too much linking Aug 9, 2012

neilmac wrote:
However, my overall impression is that it suffers too much from the obsession this type of provider seems to have with "linking" everything, so that these apps invade and pervade every nook and cranny of our cyber landscape.

Indeed. Maybe we translators are more used than the average person to the idea of intentionally making siloes from our information, but I also agree that too much interlinking can turn useful information into a clump of useless information you easily get lost in --of even worse, distracted by.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A gun is always a gun Aug 9, 2012

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I have a few backup Yahoo accounts which I rarely use these days, and whenever I log out and log in, a message saying "Please tick off the checkmark if you are sharing this machine" in my language.

So, if I log into my Yahoo account from someone else's computer and if I tick the check mark, and forget to tick it off, the person using that computer could access my account and even read the countless junk mails and the important ones and even send spams.

Indeed, a gun is always a gun and a danger even if you know where the safety catch is, the same way the checkbox you describe is the tiny safety lock to a door that opens up all your privacy. Leave the door open, and your customers' privacy could be in danger too, which is much worse.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible privacy issues with a Google experiment: including email in the searches

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »