Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
Is making random answers in many pairs acceptable, or KudoZ spam?
Thread poster: Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:21
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
to whom it may (still) concern Apr 21, 2011

Following is the current summary of my ticket... As the issue is a public matter, I believe it is OK to publish the communication without the identity of the troublemaker and site staff.

===

Tomas Mosler (817450)

Apr 19 22:56
violation of rule 1.1
Hello,

As you may be aware by now from other sources or from my forum post
... See more
Following is the current summary of my ticket... As the issue is a public matter, I believe it is OK to publish the communication without the identity of the troublemaker and site staff.

===

Tomas Mosler (817450)

Apr 19 22:56
violation of rule 1.1
Hello,

As you may be aware by now from other sources or from my forum posts at
http://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/197057-is_making_random_answers_in_many_pairs_acceptable_or_kudoz_spam.html

I would like to know if
a) batch answering KudoZ questions
with b) machine translations and misleading or completely chaotic answers (either consciously knowing it is wrong or consciously knowing about having no possibility to find out it is actually misleading - not only in regards to the meaning, but also grammatically etc., when the answerer does not master the given language)
in c) multiple non-working language pairs
is considered as "providing help", and if it is, then why.

Thank you.

Tomas Mosler

Sent URL: [link to an occurence]

=====

[...]
Site Staff

Apr 20 15:45
(16 hours, 48 mins since ticket submitted)
Question already answered in forum thread
Dear Tomas,

I am closing this support request as the question you post here has already been answered in http://www.proz.com/topic/197057

If you would like to report a specific instance of rule violation by a specific member, please submit a new support request with all relevant details (link to area where rule(s) is being violated, specify the rule(s) you believe is being violated and the name of the member you believe is violating site rules). This will help me look into this further.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

[...]

=====

Tomas Mosler
ASKER
Apr 20 17:13
(1 hour, 28 mins since previous reply)
instance reported
Dear [...],

I have already reported the instance in the previous ticket!

[link repeated]

The user is [...]

The rule I believe is violated is 1.1 - "...purpose other than providing help".

His answer is a machine translation and misleading. Yes, many answers by native speakers can be misleading, too, but the difference here is that this person either *consciously* knows it is wrong, or *consciously* knows that he (as he is not mastering the language in question) has no possibility to find out it is actually misleading (which seems to be obvious from the wrong grammar - a native speaker not knowing the subject would at least formulate a grammatically correct answer). So or so, I cannot see it fit the goodwill purpose to provide help.

I would not mind if this happens once in a year, or if it is a random "I thought too fast" error, as that can be easily fixed by a disagreement, but this person seems to be hyperactive:
[link to their KudoZ overview]
- many answers in many non-working pairs.

I hope common sense will prevail in this case. However if you think this kind of answering is "providing help", I would like to know why.

Thank you.

Tomas Mosler

=====

[...]
Site Staff

Apr 21 14:13
(20 hours, 59 mins since previous reply)
No rule violation, no action required
Dear Tomas,

I am afraid there is no concrete evidence to determine [translator in question] proposed KudoZ answers do not constitute help.

In fact, I just checked again his last KudoZ contributions and I see that, while some of his answers contain one or two "Disagree" peer comments, some others contain no peer comment at all, and some even contain "Agree" peer comments. This looks like a normal pattern of KudoZ participation.

Like explained in forum thread http://www.proz.com/topic/197057 , for site staff or moderators to take any action, enough, concrete evidence must be supplied to prove that site rules are being violated.

In this case, I don't see any form of rules violation and so no action is required.

I am sorry I cannot help you further with this. If you believe any answer posted by this member is not correct, please use the peer agreement feature to state so.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Regards,

[...]

=====

Tomas Mosler
ASKER
Apr 21 16:02
(1 hour, 49 mins since previous reply)
amount of dis/agreements is irrelevant to the "purpose of providing help" in general
Dear [...],

I disagree. If any answerer would submit one identical answer for 500 questions, chances are that they will actually get it right a few times. That still does not justify the "purpose of providing help" for activities of such an answerer *in total* (and neither the amount of disagreements does).

Or in other words, dis/agreements "pattern" says little about if that person actually speak the language. So far so good, but when they don't speak the language - as is obvious for example from the Czech answer I referred to - please explain to me how any action of theirs could meet the condition of "purpose of providing help"? The "providing help" part can be there a few times as a result, but what about the part "purpose"? That is what I'm constantly missing in this case (excluding [translator's] pairs).
(In my opinion, that is the same as if I would be saying "it will rain" in Sahara for one year. Yes, perhaps I get it right for 3 days, but does that mean I wanted to help the whole year?)

Besides, I personally see no point in giving disagreements to such people, as it won't serve as a cure, so much the more as prevention - they don't understand the language and no lesson would be learned for future answers.

Finally, I would like to know what amount of evidence - in regards to people who consciently provide answers they actually cannot linguistically (at least, if not in terms of terminology) verify - is considered to be "enough"?

Thank you.

Tomas

[Edited at 2011-04-21 14:18 GMT]
Collapse

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 12:21
Member (2008)
English to Czech
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
yes Apr 21, 2011

Doesn't it seem fair to restrict the possible number of language pairs to 8, 10, or even 12 if we want to be generous?

Yes, that is a very good idea, especially as it is not possible to have more than 8 pairs listed in the directory.

http://www.proz.com/faq/directories.html#will_i_be_listed_in_the_directory_for_all_the_language_pairs_i_declared_

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Locking thread Apr 21, 2011

Dear all,

I am locking this thread as the topic seems to have drifted from the original topic and the discussion seems to be heading for less productive waters.

If you have any further doubts, please submit a support request, http://www.proz.com/support

Regards,

Lucia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is making random answers in many pairs acceptable, or KudoZ spam?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »