Seeking recommendations on legal terminology books
投稿者: Michael Purvis
Michael Purvis
Michael Purvis  Identity Verified
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Jan 16, 2013

Good morning everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody could recommend any good books for getting to grips with English legalese. Given that so many people work as translators of legal documents and not all of them have studied or worked as lawyers, I'm assuming there must be some good texts which they have used to get to grips with formalities and styles and so on. Can anybody help me find such a book?

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
イタリア
Local time: 05:22
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Alcaraz and Hugues: Legal translation explained Jan 16, 2013

I found this book very useful:

Alcaraz; Hugues : Legal translation explained
St Jerome publishing

https://www.stjerome.co.uk/books/b/120/

hope it helps ...

Ciao
D

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
ドイツ
2004に入会
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
an interesting topic Jan 16, 2013

Thanks for opening this thread, Michael.

@Daniela: This sounds like a good book, very comprehensive.

In the description it says:

"The scope of the book makes it useful as a reference source to anyone with a background in any of the languages used in the book."

Could you maybe let us know which languages are being covered in the book. Thanks a lot in advance.

Manuela

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
イタリア
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
contents Jan 16, 2013

Ciao Manuela

if you click on the "contents" tab in the link you will find the list of topics.
I don't have the book with me right now, but I promise to check this evening!

D.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
チェコ語 から フランス語
+ ...
On the net Jan 16, 2013

You will find plenty of material there - if you translate contracts, which is likely, you will find templates for specific types of contrats. Just google the type you want - e.g., "Sales Agreement" and you will see. For specific legal fields, type the field or some keywords into your Google - e.g., "arbitration", "patent law"... In some fields, there is an agency responsible for the topic, and you will find material on its website - e.g., IRS for taxes, FDA or EMEA for pharma regulatory document... See more
You will find plenty of material there - if you translate contracts, which is likely, you will find templates for specific types of contrats. Just google the type you want - e.g., "Sales Agreement" and you will see. For specific legal fields, type the field or some keywords into your Google - e.g., "arbitration", "patent law"... In some fields, there is an agency responsible for the topic, and you will find material on its website - e.g., IRS for taxes, FDA or EMEA for pharma regulatory documents. And EurLex is a wonderful tool - it contains EU legal texts in all fields, in all the EU languages (the legalese used there may be a little different from UK or US English, though), but you will find the equivalent of any legal notion - just do the search in there in Spanish (if I remember your pair right) and then switch to English.Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
ドイツ
2004に入会
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Ciao Daniela Jan 16, 2013

That would be great if you check, but no hurry....

Even only looking at the contents, it sounds like an interesting read, regardless of the languages

grazie mille anticipatamente
Manuela

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 23:22
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
Legal terminology books Jan 16, 2013

Here are my favorites:
Nolo's Plain-English Law Dictionary

Garner's Dictionary of Legal Usage

And this free one:
Legal Drafting in English

Glenda Terenzi
Glenda Terenzi
イタリア
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
ILEC preparation material Jan 16, 2013

International Legal English
Cambridge University Press
Amy Krois Lindner and TransLegal

Whether you actually plan to take the exam or not, you might find it useful to study the contents (Contract law, Company law, Intellectual property).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Marco Ramón[Call to this topic]
Margarita[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking recommendations on legal terminology books

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »