Dissertation research: looking for material on translation of autobiographies
Thread poster: sutcliffe
sutcliffe
sutcliffe
English to German
+ ...
Jul 17, 2002

My a topic for my Masters Degree is the tranlation of autobiographies. Unfortunately I do not seem to be able to find any relevant literature, articles etc on the topic. Has anyone any good ideas where I can find some helpful information?

sevie

Steffen Pollex (X)
Steffen Pollex (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:03
English to German
+ ...
What is so special about it... Jul 18, 2002

that one would make it a dissertation topic or write a \"scientific\" book on it? To me, like any other translation, it requires two things: a good command of the language and a geeling for style, that\'s it. What more would there be to say? Sometimes I really wonder why and to what extent it is common nowadays to try to make everything look like \"science\", even when everything is plain to see. This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-18 10:02 ]<... See more
that one would make it a dissertation topic or write a \"scientific\" book on it? To me, like any other translation, it requires two things: a good command of the language and a geeling for style, that\'s it. What more would there be to say? Sometimes I really wonder why and to what extent it is common nowadays to try to make everything look like \"science\", even when everything is plain to see. This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-18 10:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-18 10:04 ]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
A dissertation doesn't have to be scientific in the empirical sense Jul 18, 2002

but what I\'m curious about is the focus of the research. There are many autobiographies that are by themselves important and for that reason have been translated enough throughout history to warrant a study. There are also authors capable of translating themselves who have written autobiographies. Other manners of studying translated autobiographies would be annotation, bibliography, usw. usw. usw...

Beth Kantus
Beth Kantus  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:03
German to English
Found one potentially helpful reference Jul 18, 2002

I don\'t know if this will help you but I did find a discussion on the translation of autobiographies as a genre.

Have a look at the site below:

[PDF] The Elusive I

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML

... author in English. But the translation of autobiography may be essentially

a dangerous and thank- less undertaking. On rece
... See more
I don\'t know if this will help you but I did find a discussion on the translation of autobiographies as a genre.

Have a look at the site below:

[PDF] The Elusive I

File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML

... author in English. But the translation of autobiography may be essentially

a dangerous and thank- less undertaking. On recently ...

www.erudit.org/erudit/meta/v45n01/ brierley/brierley.pdf - Similar pages

[ More results from www.erudit.org ]

And good luck with your research!

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dissertation research: looking for material on translation of autobiographies

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »