Thread poster: Lucie Walker Massin (X)
Lucie Walker Massin (X)
Lucie Walker Massin (X)
France
Local time: 18:21
English to French
Nov 17, 2010

Dear colleagues,

I am looking for a good English - French dictionary.
While searching on the net and at the library, I have found so many web sites and books! Hard to make the right choice.

Could you give me an advice?

Which medical dictionary do you use?
Do you have any good website you could advise me?

Thank you!
Merci!

Lara Bellocchio
Lara Bellocchio
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Medical dictionary Dec 16, 2010

Dear Lucie,
you can found a great source in http://iate.europa.eu/iatediff/switchLang.do?success=mainPage&lang=fr. IATE dictionary is the EU terminology database in many fileds in all european languages.
Kind regards

Lara Bellocchio

SJLD
SJLD

French to English
+ ...
not IATE Jan 10, 2011

IATE is not a medical dictionary. It is based on the TM for the European Institutions, is largely unrevised and totally unreliable for medical translation.

Gabrielle Leyden
Gabrielle Leyden  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to English
+ ...
no single dictionary Jan 15, 2011

I agree with SJLD - the EU's database is not what you're looking for. In my experience, there is no one good medical dictionary, either French-English or English-French. You have to dip into everything and compare articles, textbooks, and the most comprehensive dictionaries in each language. French translations of authoritative medical textbooks exist, but they are expensive. Living near a medical library helps!

For anatomy I came across French and English translations of Kahle,
... See more
I agree with SJLD - the EU's database is not what you're looking for. In my experience, there is no one good medical dictionary, either French-English or English-French. You have to dip into everything and compare articles, textbooks, and the most comprehensive dictionaries in each language. French translations of authoritative medical textbooks exist, but they are expensive. Living near a medical library helps!

For anatomy I came across French and English translations of Kahle, Leonhardt, & Platzer's three-volume atlas several years ago. They are excellent, but not complete. The translations are put out by Flammarion-Medecine-Sciences, but my editions date back to 1981, so they are hardly up to date on nomenclature changes! I don't know if a more recent edition exists.

All the best,

Gabrielle
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Good English - French medical dictionary

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »