Medical Device Product Registration in Japan
Thread poster: Joanne Archambault
Joanne Archambault
Joanne Archambault  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:40
French to English
Jun 27, 2011

I am working with a French orthopedics company to translate into English some of the documents they will be submitting to Japanese regulatory authorities.

Do anyone know if the Japanese PMDA prefers US-English or UK-English? Or does everything have to be in Japanese, which would mean that my translation is only an intermediate step?

Joanne

-----------------------------------
Joanne Archambault, PhD
FR > EN translator specialized in Pharmaceutic
... See more
I am working with a French orthopedics company to translate into English some of the documents they will be submitting to Japanese regulatory authorities.

Do anyone know if the Japanese PMDA prefers US-English or UK-English? Or does everything have to be in Japanese, which would mean that my translation is only an intermediate step?

Joanne

-----------------------------------
Joanne Archambault, PhD
FR > EN translator specialized in Pharmaceuticals and Orthopedics
Collapse

nekonote
nekonote  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:40
Member (2009)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Maybe will be translated into Japanese later... Jun 27, 2011

Dear Joanne:

I cannot tell you for sure, but unless the documents are used at international conference or something, I think doctors prefer anything in Japanese...So, I presume such documents are soon or later translated into Japanese.

If they accept as Enlgish, it doesn't matter American or British. We all learn American English in Japan, but in certain field, they use mixed becasue of the words. Honestly, Pure British English is rare to find. When it comes down to a
... See more
Dear Joanne:

I cannot tell you for sure, but unless the documents are used at international conference or something, I think doctors prefer anything in Japanese...So, I presume such documents are soon or later translated into Japanese.

If they accept as Enlgish, it doesn't matter American or British. We all learn American English in Japan, but in certain field, they use mixed becasue of the words. Honestly, Pure British English is rare to find. When it comes down to a real professional field, they usually understand either way, or, there shouldn't be too many different words.

Just as reference; I'm not particularly engaged in medical field.
Collapse

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:40
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Devices, Japan and translation Jun 27, 2011

Hi Joanne,

An excellent source of tips about the translation of documents related to medical devices for Japan is the blog Medical Translation Insight.

Here is one of the articles pertinent to that domain :
http://blog.fxtrans.com/2009/07/why-do-device-companies-treat-japan.html

If you use the "Search our site"
... See more
Hi Joanne,

An excellent source of tips about the translation of documents related to medical devices for Japan is the blog Medical Translation Insight.

Here is one of the articles pertinent to that domain :
http://blog.fxtrans.com/2009/07/why-do-device-companies-treat-japan.html

If you use the "Search our site" box on the top left and enter "Japan", as I did right now, you'll get a long list of articles which might be of some help.

My two cents (as I never translate medical devices documentation)

Have a nice evening
Catherine
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Medical Device Product Registration in Japan

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »