Thread poster: Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:20
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 21, 2003

Two years ago the Swedish tax authorities inspected my bookkeeping. All was found to be OK except one item, my deduction of the ProZ membership fee. The membership fee would have been tax deductible if I had been able to produce an invoice from ProZ, but I could not, as ProZ had not issued one. So, the USD 120.00 was disallowed, and my ProZ membership fee had to be paid with taxed money (meaning that the membership did cost me some USD 360.00, when accounting for taxes and “arbetsgivareavgift�... See more
Two years ago the Swedish tax authorities inspected my bookkeeping. All was found to be OK except one item, my deduction of the ProZ membership fee. The membership fee would have been tax deductible if I had been able to produce an invoice from ProZ, but I could not, as ProZ had not issued one. So, the USD 120.00 was disallowed, and my ProZ membership fee had to be paid with taxed money (meaning that the membership did cost me some USD 360.00, when accounting for taxes and “arbetsgivareavgift”).

About a week ago I got a reminder from ProZ that my membership fee is due in one month. I immediately emailed a request for an invoice to ProZ Support. Result: No reaction!

Today I phoned the Swedish Tax Authorities (Skatteverket). They confirmed that I may only deduct a membership fee if I am in possession of a proper invoice.

ProZ is great!

I wish to continue my ProZ Platinum Membership, but .......

Dear ProZ,

Please send me an invoice (half to be paid with BrowniZ and half to be paid with money, invoice to include seller’s and buyer’s VAT numbers [My VAT number may be found on my ProZ page]) and I’ll pay you within a few days!

Sven.
Collapse

Ann VDP
Ann VDP
French to Dutch
+ ...
Never received an invoice either... Jul 21, 2003

Hi Sven,

I have a similar situation over here in Belgium. Legally we are required to present an invoice, but although I sent several e-mails to the ProZ.com staff, I never received an answer nor an official invoice. The only document I have is the one I printed after paying for my membership. Although my accountant has taken this printed document into account, I am reasonably sure that if my accounts will be checked by the tax administration (which may happen somewhere in the near f
... See more
Hi Sven,

I have a similar situation over here in Belgium. Legally we are required to present an invoice, but although I sent several e-mails to the ProZ.com staff, I never received an answer nor an official invoice. The only document I have is the one I printed after paying for my membership. Although my accountant has taken this printed document into account, I am reasonably sure that if my accounts will be checked by the tax administration (which may happen somewhere in the near future, I'm afraid), they will not accept it as a legal document either... Out of loyalty to the ProZ site and my much appreciated ProZ collegues, I did renew my membership last December, but this second time I did not receive an invoice either... I do not think will renew again, since I am not willing to take this risk once again. After all, as you state correctly: if this membership is not accepted by the tax administration, it is not at all advantageous financially, since this expense would be considered as a private expense.

I believe lots of European collegues encounter a similar situation, so it would be wise for the ProZ staff to issue official invoices so that we are able to prove this cost as business related, which it is...

Kind regards,

Anneken
Collapse

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Me too.. Jul 21, 2003

Anneken wrote:

Hi Sven,

I have a similar situation over here in Belgium. Legally we are required to present an invoice, but although I sent several e-mails to the ProZ.com staff, I never received an answer nor an official invoice. The only document I have is the one I printed after paying for my membership. Although my accountant has taken this printed document into account, I am reasonably sure that if my accounts will be checked by the tax administration (which may happen somewhere in the near future, I'm afraid), they will not accept it as a legal document either... Out of loyalty to the ProZ site and my much appreciated ProZ collegues, I did renew my membership last December, but this second time I did not receive an invoice either... I do not think will renew again, since I am not willing to take this risk once again. After all, as you state correctly: if this membership is not accepted by the tax administration, it is not at all advantageous financially, since this expense would be considered as a private expense.

I believe lots of European collegues encounter a similar situation, so it would be wise for the ProZ staff to issue official invoices so that we are able to prove this cost as business related, which it is...

Kind regards,

Anneken
No invoice till now...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:20
SITE FOUNDER
Please enter a support request... Jul 21, 2003

... and you will get one!

Sorry for the trouble you have had, folks. We value your membership and do not wish to put you in a compromising position with your tax authorities. Just enter a support request and we will issue the invoices.

(Note to others: As of last month, an invoice is automatically generated during the purchasing process. Your VAT number gets included, but ours doesn't--since we do not have one yet.)

Also, I am trying to get out the message
... See more
... and you will get one!

Sorry for the trouble you have had, folks. We value your membership and do not wish to put you in a compromising position with your tax authorities. Just enter a support request and we will issue the invoices.

(Note to others: As of last month, an invoice is automatically generated during the purchasing process. Your VAT number gets included, but ours doesn't--since we do not have one yet.)

Also, I am trying to get out the message that personal email is the worst way to get support at ProZ.com. If you email me, for example, your message will be grouped with over 3000 other messages per day (mostly spam; that's what happens when your email is public on a high-traffic site for 3 years.) If your message is not filtered by my overly zealous spam filter, it is still very easy for me to overlook it. I apologize!

If you enter a support request, on the other hand, there is an automatic "generate invoice" form that can be used to accommodate your request rather easily.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation on this point.
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply to Henry Jul 21, 2003

Dear Henry,

I sent such a support request in 2001 - No answer from ProZ.

I sent a 2nd in 2002 - Still no answer from ProZ.

A wee bit over a week ago I sent the same support request again - guess what, still no answer.

A few minutes I sent the 4th support request on the same matter. It reads:

"Please send me an invoice for Proz Platinum Membership (one year membership to be payed half with BrowniZ and half with money).

... See more
Dear Henry,

I sent such a support request in 2001 - No answer from ProZ.

I sent a 2nd in 2002 - Still no answer from ProZ.

A wee bit over a week ago I sent the same support request again - guess what, still no answer.

A few minutes I sent the 4th support request on the same matter. It reads:

"Please send me an invoice for Proz Platinum Membership (one year membership to be payed half with BrowniZ and half with money).

Best regards,

Sven."

May I get an answer this time?

While we are on the matter of VAT:

Why all the hype about charging us VAT when you don't have a VAT number?

Did you know that it is a criminal offence to charge VAT when you don't have a VAT number?

Please clarify the situation!

Best regards,

Sven.

[Edited at 2003-07-21 18:42]

[Edited at 2003-07-21 18:43]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
support request = http://www.proz.com/?sp=requests/index Jul 21, 2003

Sven,

When I say "support request", I mean a specific thing, ie. a request entered via our online support form. This is the link:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=requests/index

Via this system, we have *one* support request from you regarding an invoice, from August 12 last year, to which we responded promptly.

I have no record of a support request from you toda
... See more
Sven,

When I say "support request", I mean a specific thing, ie. a request entered via our online support form. This is the link:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=requests/index

Via this system, we have *one* support request from you regarding an invoice, from August 12 last year, to which we responded promptly.

I have no record of a support request from you today, or for that matter, at any point in 2003. As for two years ago, we did not even have a support request system at that time.

In the future, please use the support request system and do not send email or use these forums for personal matters. I am locking this thread.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
VAT number - we will have it shortly Jul 21, 2003

As for the VAT issue, we were instructed by the German authorities to get a VAT number before we *pay* VAT, ie. sometime before the end of September. From what I am told, we are waiting on the German office to provide us with a means of getting that number under the new "special scheme." The German office has not yet completed its own preparations on that.

We had very short notice (3 weeks), as did the local officials.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Conc. ProZ Platinum Membership Fee: No invoice => No payment

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »