Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 11:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 1, 2004

I have three Flash presentations to translate, very linear in the sense that they play like slides (as in Powerpoint, maybe), so I can have the presentation open and paused on one window while I translate directly into Word, on another window.

But my problem is: I don't know how to charge for this job. I have to tell my client by tomorrow how much I will charge him, but I have no idea!

I suppose it could be an hourly rate, as I cannot count the words in the files. Bu
... See more
I have three Flash presentations to translate, very linear in the sense that they play like slides (as in Powerpoint, maybe), so I can have the presentation open and paused on one window while I translate directly into Word, on another window.

But my problem is: I don't know how to charge for this job. I have to tell my client by tomorrow how much I will charge him, but I have no idea!

I suppose it could be an hourly rate, as I cannot count the words in the files. But how much is reasonable?
Collapse

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 19:25
English to Dutch
+ ...
Hourly rate Jun 1, 2004

You could calculate your hourly rate on the basis of the amount of words you would normally translate per hour. I see from your profile that your minimum/target rate per hour is USD 25.00, so I would suggest you apply this rate for the Flash job.

[Edited at 2004-06-01 07:36]

[Edited at 2004-06-01 07:36]

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
2 jobs Jun 1, 2004

Editing Flash is one job and translating is a differnet one. I had this situation last month, simple format too, and charged an hourly rate for the edition of the Flash files (the hour is usually paid quite more than an hour of translation, I charged 20% more) and the normal rate for the translation. I sent the customer a quote for the whole job, "Translation and edition of 60 Flash files".

HTH

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 11:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both.... Jun 1, 2004

...for your input.

I forgot to mention that I'm not editing the Flash files, as I don't have the Flash software installed right now, only the player. So I'm able to play the files, but I have to read the text while it plays (it remains static until I click on it), and translate it on a text editor in another window.

I think I'll go with the hourly rate. Thanks.

Valeria Verona
Valeria Verona  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 12:25
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
another possibility Jun 1, 2004

... is charging per target word.
HTH.
Greetings from Buenos Aires,
Valeria

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for translating Flash files

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »