Kanada
Local time: 06:24
Mitglied (2002)
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...

Moderator/in
Aug 20, 2004

Good afternoon all,
Hope you are enjoying the crisp autumn day 8)

Here is a new one for me: I did the job in June, another was assigned in July for the same client, the cheque for the June job was received last week, and now my bank has called to inform me that the cheque was refused by the issuer's bank.
The issuer is in England and deals with the Bank of Scotland.
The currency was USD, and I put the sum in my USD account here in Canada.
Now the sum has been
... See more
Good afternoon all,
Hope you are enjoying the crisp autumn day 8)

Here is a new one for me: I did the job in June, another was assigned in July for the same client, the cheque for the June job was received last week, and now my bank has called to inform me that the cheque was refused by the issuer's bank.
The issuer is in England and deals with the Bank of Scotland.
The currency was USD, and I put the sum in my USD account here in Canada.
Now the sum has been removed, and I am left with a useless bit of paper (not to mention an additional balance owing that is four times the face value of the returned cheque)!
What have you done in the past in similar circumstances? I love dealing globally, but this is sort of a hitch...:-(
PS I checked PP and BB before accepting the first assignment and could only find one complaint of non-payment, allegedly a quality issue, which is not the case here...
Nancy
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Mitglied (2002)
Spanisch > Französisch
+ ...
Well, well, well... Is it a new epidemy? Aug 20, 2004

Dear Nancy

I'm sorry for what happens to you. I recently had to face the same problem. The amount involved was not big enough to think about doing something else than asking for explanations or another check, with guarantees. But when a bad payer doesn't want to pay, I don't know what we can do other than taking legal action.
You can read comments and advice in this thread:
... See more
Dear Nancy

I'm sorry for what happens to you. I recently had to face the same problem. The amount involved was not big enough to think about doing something else than asking for explanations or another check, with guarantees. But when a bad payer doesn't want to pay, I don't know what we can do other than taking legal action.
You can read comments and advice in this thread:

http://www.proz.com/topic/23220

Claudia
Collapse

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 03:24
Englisch > Französisch
+ ...
Refused ? Aug 20, 2004

Hi Nancy
can you be more specific ?
do you mean the client stopped payment on that check, or do you mean the bank rejected it because there were insufficient funds, the signature was not recognized, the bank account had been
closed or...?
Any of the latter would be fraud, and someone should take legal action.

[Edited at 2004-08-20 18:46]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Kanada
Mitglied (2002)
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...

Moderator/in
THEMENSTARTER
I'll know more when I see it, I hope Aug 20, 2004

The teller who phoned me said she couldn't see why the cheque was refused, but she did say that I would have to pick it up if I wanted to start collection proceedings.
Yay.

Claudia: I just re-read your forum from July, imagine I had already forgotten about that.:roll: I imagine I'll have a bank fee to pay as well, but this cheque is close to 400 US, so it's definitely worth chasing up (plus the other 1700...)

I realise it's Friday evening over there, so I'll give
... See more
The teller who phoned me said she couldn't see why the cheque was refused, but she did say that I would have to pick it up if I wanted to start collection proceedings.
Yay.

Claudia: I just re-read your forum from July, imagine I had already forgotten about that.:roll: I imagine I'll have a bank fee to pay as well, but this cheque is close to 400 US, so it's definitely worth chasing up (plus the other 1700...)

I realise it's Friday evening over there, so I'll give them till early next week to respond.

Nancy
Collapse

Abdellatif Bouhid
Abdellatif Bouhid  Identity Verified
Englisch > Französisch
+ ...
Some thoughts Aug 21, 2004

1. Ascertain the cause for the check bouncing. Ask the client for an explanation. If bad faith is not involved, they could send another check (certified this time) that includes your bank NSF charge as well. I am being perhaps optimistic but it is worth a try.

2. I think that within the worldwide proz community, and wherever legally possible, few members could volunteer to represent colleagues before small claims courts under some agreeable arrangement.

Bien à Vous,... See more
1. Ascertain the cause for the check bouncing. Ask the client for an explanation. If bad faith is not involved, they could send another check (certified this time) that includes your bank NSF charge as well. I am being perhaps optimistic but it is worth a try.

2. I think that within the worldwide proz community, and wherever legally possible, few members could volunteer to represent colleagues before small claims courts under some agreeable arrangement.

Bien à Vous,

abdellatif
Collapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentinien
Local time: 07:24
Mitglied (2003)
Englisch > Spanisch
+ ...
What about a cashier's check? Aug 21, 2004

Hi, Nancy!

I always ask my clients to send me a cashier's check. It certainly saves trouble -this kind, at least.

Good luck!

Andrea

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Kanada
Mitglied (2002)
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...

Moderator/in
THEMENSTARTER
Hi Andrea! Aug 22, 2004

Thanks for your reply.

What's a cashier's check? Is that, as Abdellatif suggested, a certified check, or a money order? Is it honoured at any bank?

Nancy

Ahmed Ismail
Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Ägypten
Local time: 13:24
Englisch > Arabisch
+ ...
Same case! Aug 24, 2004

I have the same case...I worked for an English company with a check drawn at a bank in Scotland in USD, though I requested from them in advance to send me a BANK DRAFT....
I contacted them many times but in vain.
The best thing to get paid from UK is to request a BANK DRAFT (because it is drawn at a US bank).

They only suggested to use Paypal which I donot like! Otherthan that, they reply my mails any more!

[Edited at 2004-08-24 04:55]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Deutschland
Local time: 12:24
Englisch > Deutsch
+ ...
Did you enter a BlueBoard rating? Aug 24, 2004

Hi Ahmed,

Otherthan that, they reply my mails any more!

Did you enter a rating for that outsourcer on the BlueBoard?

Best regards, Ralf

ginebra
ginebra
Local time: 11:24
Französisch > Englisch
+ ...
online court claim Aug 24, 2004

Hi Nancy
If this turns out to be deliberate fraud rather than a misunderstanding, you can make an online claim to the British Small Claims Court. The fee is not high and the procedure is relatively (!) straightforward and quick. Hopefully, just threatening this might be enough...
See: http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/mcol/index.htm
best wishes
Jean (freelance translato
... See more
Hi Nancy
If this turns out to be deliberate fraud rather than a misunderstanding, you can make an online claim to the British Small Claims Court. The fee is not high and the procedure is relatively (!) straightforward and quick. Hopefully, just threatening this might be enough...
See: http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/mcol/index.htm
best wishes
Jean (freelance translator in London UK)
Collapse

Ahmed Ismail
Ahmed Ismail  Identity Verified
Ägypten
Local time: 13:24
Englisch > Arabisch
+ ...
Not yet! Aug 24, 2004

[/quote]

Did you enter a rating for that outsourcer on the BlueBoard?

Best regards, Ralf[/quote]

Dear Ralf,

I will do that very soon!

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Returned cheque

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »