Word count feature... has it gone?
Thread poster: Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Local time: 01:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2010

Years ago when using an old version of Word (word 5 I think) on a mac, I remember the word count feature could tell you how many words in the document were before the cursor point.
In other words you could translate away and at the bottom of the window it would tell you how many words you had translated.
This feature seems to be missing in other versions (I'm on Office 2003 on a PC now). either you get a word count for the whole document or to find out how much you have translated yo
... See more
Years ago when using an old version of Word (word 5 I think) on a mac, I remember the word count feature could tell you how many words in the document were before the cursor point.
In other words you could translate away and at the bottom of the window it would tell you how many words you had translated.
This feature seems to be missing in other versions (I'm on Office 2003 on a PC now). either you get a word count for the whole document or to find out how much you have translated you have to select all your translated text and do a word count on it.
So has this old feature gone, or is there actually a way to access it?
It is only a minor irritation not to have it, but in these days of progress it seems a pity to be moving backwards....
Collapse

Alison High
Alison High  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 02:13
French to English
+ ...
Not seen that Oct 1, 2010

Don't know if I've ever been aware that I'd seen that... I tend to copy the entire file, save it as xxxxxx_COUNT and delete the bits I've done as I go along... that way I have an up to date word count of what is left to translate. I know its not the same thing, but it may help you.

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Word count toolbar? Oct 1, 2010

This seems to be the closest equivalent to what you describe.

The Word Count toolbar.

The Word Count toolbar is really useful if you want to keep count of things as you work. Rather than going to the Word Count command every time, just open the toolbar.

In the toolbar, you use the drop-down list to choose which element—words, lines, pages—you want to count, and then click Recount whenever you want to see what the latest total is. If you want to see the
... See more
This seems to be the closest equivalent to what you describe.

The Word Count toolbar.

The Word Count toolbar is really useful if you want to keep count of things as you work. Rather than going to the Word Count command every time, just open the toolbar.

In the toolbar, you use the drop-down list to choose which element—words, lines, pages—you want to count, and then click Recount whenever you want to see what the latest total is. If you want to see the total of a different element, use the drop-down list again.

The toolbar will use the current setting in the Word Count dialog box for including footnotes and endnotes.

The Word Count toolbar can be opened by clicking Show Toolbar in the Word Count dialog box, or from the Toolbars menu (View menu).

http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/word-help/so-that-s-how-great-word-features-RZ001052479.aspx?section=27
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Can't find Word Count toolbar Oct 1, 2010

I have Word 2000 and Word 2007. Neither has Word Count toolbar access as described in the link, nor is there such a toolbar in the View>Toolbars menu.
Is it only a feature of Word 2003?

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Word 2007 Oct 1, 2010

Hi Jack

Word 2007 doesn't need the word count toolbar as the word count is displayed automatically via a counter on the status bar. If it doesn't appear on the status bar, right click the status bar and then click "Word count". (Not sure about Word 2000)
HTH
Alison

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
To Alison Oct 1, 2010

Thank you for reminding me of that. I had seen it, but I rarely use Word 2007 and I had forgotten it.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:13
English to Spanish
Word 2007 Oct 1, 2010

Jack Doughty wrote:

I have Word 2000 and Word 2007. Neither has Word Count toolbar access as described in the link, nor is there such a toolbar in the View>Toolbars menu.
Is it only a feature of Word 2003?

It is in the Review ribbon, whereas in Word 2003 is in the Tools drop down menu. Don´t know about Word 2000, can´t remember yesterday!

Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
getting back to the main question Oct 1, 2010

... this feature does not seem to be there any more. I am aware of the word count toolbar etc...but the feature I was talking about was as simple as looking down at the bottom of window - the way you can do now to see which page you are on, for example.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Word 2010 has it Oct 1, 2010

I only had Word 2007 for a short time since I like 2010 a bit better than 2007 (which is not too much, compared to 2003, but that is a different story). I can confirm that the standard doc window in Word 2010 shows the number of words (in the current selection/in the entire document) in the bottom left-hand corner:

Antonin

Clifford Marcus
Clifford Marcus
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no selection necessary.... Oct 1, 2010

I'm not saying selection.
You didn't have to select anything. It told you straightaway what word you are on, like the window currently tells you what page you are on....

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
no selection is necessary, of course Oct 1, 2010

If nothing is selected, there is no slash and only the entire document word count is shown.

Antonin

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
highlight text for wordcount Oct 1, 2010

I keep a track of my progress whenever I want to by highlighting all the text I have above the cursor (i.e. what I have translated) with ctrl+shift+home and the wordcount will be shown as a fraction in the bottom bar (e.g. 200/3500).

Or, vice versa, to see how many words I've got left to translate I highlight all the text I have below the cursor with ctrl+shift+end.

I suppose you are looking for an instant way rather than this workaround?

Edit: Ah, I see yo
... See more
I keep a track of my progress whenever I want to by highlighting all the text I have above the cursor (i.e. what I have translated) with ctrl+shift+home and the wordcount will be shown as a fraction in the bottom bar (e.g. 200/3500).

Or, vice versa, to see how many words I've got left to translate I highlight all the text I have below the cursor with ctrl+shift+end.

I suppose you are looking for an instant way rather than this workaround?

Edit: Ah, I see you're not talking about selecting text at all, so forget all this

[Edited at 2010-10-01 16:47 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Forget it Oct 1, 2010

Use the professional counting program TextCount.

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:13
English to Spanish
Select text, then ctrl+shift+home OR ctrl+shift+end Oct 1, 2010

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I do exactly what Emma does, and it takes less than an instant.

Miguel

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count feature... has it gone?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »