Thread poster: Terry Richards
Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 14:46
French to English
+ ...
Apr 16, 2013

When I start Word (2003) first thing in the morning and go to the language selection list, there are two languages at the top of the list followed by a double line and then an alphabetical list. These top languages seem to be the most common languages used - in my case UK & US English. As I use other languages during the day, they are added to this top area.

Where are these languages stored and how can I add another one, French in this case?

Thanks,

Terry.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Type in French Apr 16, 2013

Just type in something in French, and you’ll have French in the list.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, but that doesn't work Apr 16, 2013

Word 2003 doesn't have the language auto-detect feature.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:46
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It’s not about autodetect, Apr 16, 2013

it’s about switching the keyboard layout. And it works. Otherwise, just apply a language to a text selection manually using the language selector in the status bar.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not what I want. Apr 16, 2013

It's the language selector that I am trying to change.

When I first start Word, there are two languages at the top of the list, UK & US English. Then there is a double line and then all of the available languages in alphabetical order.

If I want to type in French, I have to drop down the list, scroll about half way down it and then select French. After I have done this once, French now appears at the top of the list along with the two sorts of English and I can select
... See more
It's the language selector that I am trying to change.

When I first start Word, there are two languages at the top of the list, UK & US English. Then there is a double line and then all of the available languages in alphabetical order.

If I want to type in French, I have to drop down the list, scroll about half way down it and then select French. After I have done this once, French now appears at the top of the list along with the two sorts of English and I can select it more easily the second time I want to use it. It stays at the top of the list for the rest of the day unless I have to terminate Word via task manager. This is because a part of Word keeps running even if you close all Word documents.

What I want is for French to be at the top of the list when I first start Word.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:16
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Explore Region and Langauge Settings Apr 16, 2013

You will find this in the control panel.

In Region and Language Settings, you can add support for new languages or add keyboard support to a language.

Some of these settings will require the original Windows installation disc.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not it either Apr 16, 2013

I already have French installed.

I just want it to appear at the top of the list of languages when I first start Word. Just like it does after the first time I use it.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh yes it is! Apr 16, 2013

My appologies, you were on the right track. By adding keyboard support for French, it now shows up at the top of the language list, just like I wanted.

Many thanks.

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:46
German to English
+ ...
The following might be what you are looking for Apr 16, 2013

Go to Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office 2003 Language Settings.

Check the list of Enabled Languages on the right — select and click Remove for any you don’t want, then select French from the list on the left and click Add.

Select the language you want as the default from the list at the bottom of the window, then click OK.

Hope that helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Default languages in Word

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »