MS Office 365 - how does it stack up?
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:14
French to English
May 29, 2013

What (if any) version of Office do you use? How does back-compatibility stack up? And should I be dismayed that Office 365 is only available as a yearly subscription ($100) rather than a one-time cost?

Looking forward to your input!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:14
English to French
The cloud trend May 29, 2013

Being from a generation where you had to get up from the couch to switch channels on a (black and white) TV and call from a phone box when on the move, I like to "own" my things locally, so all this "software as a service" (SaaS) business is not really my cup of tea.

I own a boxed, standalone version of Office 2010 with its DVD, not the preinstalled version sometimes bundled with some branded computers, so that I can keep on using it on a new computer if I wish.

I am al
... See more
Being from a generation where you had to get up from the couch to switch channels on a (black and white) TV and call from a phone box when on the move, I like to "own" my things locally, so all this "software as a service" (SaaS) business is not really my cup of tea.

I own a boxed, standalone version of Office 2010 with its DVD, not the preinstalled version sometimes bundled with some branded computers, so that I can keep on using it on a new computer if I wish.

I am already dependent on the grid and local hardware/software to get work done, so having to rely on a speedy Internet connection on top of that is not something I find exciting.

Which is also why I turn down offers requiring the use of cloud-based CAT and CMS tools.

But maybe it's just the generation divide and "dematerialisation" will soon become common practice also in e-friendship, e-communication, e-parties, e-love, e-dinners and e-fun via videoconference boxes!

Philippe
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 07:14
English to Hebrew
+ ...
The software world is switching to subsribtion type of licensing May 29, 2013

Office 365 is basically just the latest version of Office (currently that version is 2013) plus MS' cloud based services.
The software world is gradually switching to a subscription based model, i.e. you pay a monthly or annual fee and in return get the latest version of the software. This delivery model is dubbed SaaS (Software as a Service) and the best example of it is the cloud services. You don't know and probably don't care about which software version your favorite cloud services a
... See more
Office 365 is basically just the latest version of Office (currently that version is 2013) plus MS' cloud based services.
The software world is gradually switching to a subscription based model, i.e. you pay a monthly or annual fee and in return get the latest version of the software. This delivery model is dubbed SaaS (Software as a Service) and the best example of it is the cloud services. You don't know and probably don't care about which software version your favorite cloud services are running, you only know that you are always using the most update one with all of the new features, bug fixes (and new bugs), always entitled to support, etc. From the software developer's point of view it means that all (or most) users are using the same version of the software which leads to reduced need for legacy support, less fragmentation that means less technical support overhead, and of course, it is probably a more profitable business model for them in the long run.

Office 2013 is still sold as a standalone product, so it is up for any person to decide what is best option for them in terms of features and spending habits. For example, a person that usually upgrades to the latest version of a software soon after it is released might actually benefit from a subscription model, depending on pricing. On the other hand, a more conservative user that uses the software until he must upgrade after a couple of years will probably not benefit us much from a financial stand point.
Collapse

Jesús Garcia
Jesús Garcia
Mexico
Local time: 22:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
MS Office 365 May 29, 2013

To be true this program is kind of easier to use, it has many utilities, maybe the design is a little bad, it only has 2 colors in the interface, but it is very useful.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:44
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Still quite happy with 2007 May 30, 2013

I find it meets all my needs and have not upgraded to higher versions. Nor have I tried the cloud version. I feel more comfortable holding on to my files in my hard disk.

I have experimented with cloud services in the form of dropbox and skydrive, but have not progressed beyond that.

Yuri Radcev
Yuri Radcev  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:14
English to Russian
+ ...
it makes sense May 30, 2013

if you've got at least more than one computer running this stuff. I've got 3, which makes the cost of using the legal copy of the MS Office 365 less than $30 a year, with all the updates, etc.
it suits me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Office 365 - how does it stack up?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »