Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 24, 2013

I should probably get Office 365 for my Windows phone, but is it practical? And how does it behave under Windows 7? Anyone tried it out?

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 08:19
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I don't think that it is very practical on a Phone Jul 24, 2013

...due to the relatively small screen size and limited input options.

The main advantages of Office 365 is the relatively low price compared to a standalone version, especially if you need it for more than one computer, and the fact that as long as your subscription is valid you will always be using the latest software version. There are also some collaborative "cloud" based tools, but to me they are a minor consideration, if at all.

The main disadvantage of Office 365
... See more
...due to the relatively small screen size and limited input options.

The main advantages of Office 365 is the relatively low price compared to a standalone version, especially if you need it for more than one computer, and the fact that as long as your subscription is valid you will always be using the latest software version. There are also some collaborative "cloud" based tools, but to me they are a minor consideration, if at all.

The main disadvantage of Office 365 is the subscription based model. As stated above, if you are always after the latest and greatest software version and tending to upgrade the moment a new version comes out (or short after) then Office 365 is indeed a relativity cost-effective solution compared to buying the standalone version and upgrading it every 3 years on average (and this period could become shorter now to justify the subscription model).
But if you are not the type of person who rush to upgrade the moment something new comes out and you are perfectly comfortable using a software until there is a real reason to upgrade, then maybe Office 365 is not the most cost-effective solution for you. For example, most users of Office 2003 can still, 10 years later, use it without any real issues, problems, or lack of critical feature compared to the newer versions. Over the course of 10 years office 365 would have cost them more than the standalone version (not to mention that they would have probably been forced to upgrade to the newest version each time, which is something not everyone likes).

So it is basically comes down to a personal preference.
I think that office 365 is a valid solution for many translators, especially those who work in tandems or groups, that are likely to upgrade their software quite often anyway, and/or can benefit from the cloud based "collaboration" tools, including Skydrive and Outlook.com email hosting.

[Edited at 2013-07-25 01:39 GMT]
Collapse

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:19
French to English
+ ...
Major disadvantage Jul 24, 2013

Your mileage may vary, but to me a major disadvantage of Office 365 is being "tethered" to Internet. I am my own boss, and I may want to work from places without an Internet connection, even a mobile one.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:19
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Various versions of Office 365 Jul 25, 2013

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Your mileage may vary, but to me a major disadvantage of Office 365 is being "tethered" to Internet. I am my own boss, and I may want to work from places without an Internet connection, even a mobile one.

That's a good point. The cheapest plan (5 USD/month) does not include the desktop apps, only online versions. With the intermediate plan (12 USD/month) you get the desktop apps. They will work offline, and the internet access is only necessary to download the software, activate it, manage your account, and access cloud features like storage, etc.

If your subscription expires or is cancelled (or I suppose, potentially in the case of a billing glitch or connection problem at renewal time), the desktop apps become crippled until you renew.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 365 advantages/disadvantages?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »