Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 26, 2013

G'day everyone

I have a table that I want to sort by one column, and then later sort back to the way it was. I can do this easily by adding another column that contains numbers, from 1 to the number of rows. Then I can simply sort by that column in the end. However, the only way to know of to add such a column is through several steps that involve copy/pasting between Word and Excel and Notepad. Surely there must be an easy way to create such a column? Does anyone know?
<
... See more
G'day everyone

I have a table that I want to sort by one column, and then later sort back to the way it was. I can do this easily by adding another column that contains numbers, from 1 to the number of rows. Then I can simply sort by that column in the end. However, the only way to know of to add such a column is through several steps that involve copy/pasting between Word and Excel and Notepad. Surely there must be an easy way to create such a column? Does anyone know?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Laura Harrison
Laura Harrison  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:18
French to English
+ ...
Which version of Word? Jul 26, 2013

In 2010 you can select a column and then select Insert Right or Insert Left depending on where you want your new column.

And in the layout menu you can sort alphabetically or numerically by any one or number of the columns.

Similar functionality exists in prior versions, although set out somewhat differently and perhaps less intuitively in some instances.

HTH

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word 2003 Jul 26, 2013

Laura Harrison wrote:
In 2010 you can select a column and then select Insert Right or Insert Left depending on where you want your new column.

Yes, but that inserts an empty column, not a numbered column.

Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Dr Sarai Pahla, MBChB
Germany
Member (2012)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Create a numbered list in your first (blank) column Jul 26, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

Thanks
Samuel

If you create a blank column to the left of your table of text, and select the row from above, you can click on the "Numbering" icon (the one that starts a numbered list) and the rows will then be numbered in order. On the other hand, I don't know if the numbering will be sorted along with the text (i.e. if the numbering will be maintained with the relevant row when you start mainuplating the table, or whether the list will automatically resort itself into ascending numerical order). Try it out - see if it works.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Sarai Jul 26, 2013

Sarai Pahla wrote:
If you create a blank column to the left of your table of text, and select the row from above, you can click on the "Numbering" icon (the one that starts a numbered list) and the rows will then be numbered in order. On the other hand, I don't know if the numbering will be sorted along with the text...

No, it won't.

However, you can turn the automatic numbers into ordinary numbers by selecting the column, copying it, and then doing a "special" paste that pastes it as unformatted text. I'm now trying to see how to record that as a macro -- when I perform the steps one by one manually, I can get the unformatted numbers, but when I record those exact same steps in a macro, the macro creates formatted numbers, not unformatted ones.

[Edited at 2013-07-26 16:32 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just paste from excel Jul 26, 2013

I would create a numbered list with excel (which is very quick and easy), doesn't matter how many numbers though it actually works best if you make sure you have more numbers than rows in your Word table (that way you only have to do one copy step).

Select the entire list and copy.

Now go to your Word table and insert the new column where you want the numbers, now select the entire column click on Paste and select "Overwrite cells".

Sorry, just noticed you
... See more
I would create a numbered list with excel (which is very quick and easy), doesn't matter how many numbers though it actually works best if you make sure you have more numbers than rows in your Word table (that way you only have to do one copy step).

Select the entire list and copy.

Now go to your Word table and insert the new column where you want the numbers, now select the entire column click on Paste and select "Overwrite cells".

Sorry, just noticed you have Word 2003, I'm not sure if this paste feature was available in that version, yu'll have to see.

[Edited at 2013-07-26 21:01 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Alex Jul 26, 2013

Alex Lago wrote:
I would create a numbered list with Excel (which is very quick and easy), doesn't matter how many numbers, though it actually works best if you make sure you have more numbers than rows in your Word table (that way you only have to do one copy step).

Yes, that is how I currently do it. And because I'm getting more and more jobs that are "two-column" exports from CAT tools (e.g. MemoQ, Wordfast Pro or Trados 2009/11), I need to do this a lot more, and I'd rather have a method that uses just one program.

What is your easy way to create a numbered list in Excel? My method is to type "1" in the first cell and then type =sum(A1+1) in the second cell then copy that cell to all the other cells. Is there a faster way? An automated way, perhaps?

The way you copy/paste from Excel to Word is different from the way I used to do it, but your method is faster. Thanks. That saves me a bit of time.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Creating numbered list in Excel Jul 27, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

What is your easy way to create a numbered list in Excel?

I just type "1" in the first cell, then in the cell below, type "= [cell above ref.]+1" (do NOT include those literals!) (which is less fiddly to type, and only needs doing once), and then select the entire column, deselect the FIRST cell only, and hit Ctrl+D for 'fill down' — right to the end of your spreadsheet

This sounds slightly less cumbersome than your current way; AND, of course, you only ever have to do this once, then you can just save the XLS and copy and paste from it every time you need to!

[Edited at 2013-07-27 06:24 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Extend series - Excel Jul 27, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
What is your easy way to create a numbered list in Excel?

Just type 1 in the first cell, then 2 in the second cell, now select both cells and place your cursor on the bottom right corner of the second cell, it should change shape to a black plus sign, when it changes shape click the right mouse button and keep it held and then simply drag down.

Raffi Jamgocyan
Raffi Jamgocyan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:18
Member (2012)
English to Turkish
+ ...
automatically numbering rows Jul 27, 2013

Here are the two methods offered by Microsoft:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/excel-help/automatically-number-rows-HP001154232.aspx

István Hirsch
István Hirsch  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
Converting formatted list numbers to unformatted Jul 28, 2013

This refers to Word 2003 but the process is very similar for Word 2007 too.

1. Create a new column, select it, and make a numbered list in this column using Format/Numbering.
2. Copy the numbered column.
3. Go to Edit/Paste special, select ’Unformatted text’ from the dropdown list, then press OK.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create numbered column in table in MS Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »