Thread poster: LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:28
Russian to English
+ ...
Oct 5, 2013

I know that there are many wise, technically-oriented people this site. Could someone please help me find an explanation to why a certain spell checking program works selectively -- it underlines only certain words and leaves out very basic words with some small typos -- really obvious typos, not anything fancy, or any type of sophisticated scientific terminology. Would that he be spell checkers "problem" so to say, or is it my browser that is not adjusted properly.

I tried to solv
... See more
I know that there are many wise, technically-oriented people this site. Could someone please help me find an explanation to why a certain spell checking program works selectively -- it underlines only certain words and leaves out very basic words with some small typos -- really obvious typos, not anything fancy, or any type of sophisticated scientific terminology. Would that he be spell checkers "problem" so to say, or is it my browser that is not adjusted properly.

I tried to solve this problem by myself, but I am really clueless.
Collapse

matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:28
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Any examples? Oct 5, 2013

A selection of examples would help eliminate the obvious possibility; that the words are incorrectly spelt in your context but exist nevertheless.
Language variants can also be a source of perceived or real error (GB v US English, for example).

Apart from that I have never found a spellchecker that is 100% reliable anyway, but they still remain a useful tool and will usually pick up most typos.

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Matt -- thank you. Oct 5, 2013

No it is not the difference between BE and AE. The words that are left out are often words like: thye, writng, diffrent -- many, obvious, misspelled words. I cannot really release all the details but it is related to an HTML editor. I thought maybe my browser causes it. It is something internet related.

Is there any way to fix it on my side, by adjusting the browser, or certain security settings?

[Edited at 2013-10-05 11:46 GMT]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:28
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Which browser are you using? Oct 5, 2013

My wife recently had a certain problem (not related to spelling) with Firefox, but the problem did not occur on Internet Explorer, so we then knew it was something to do with Firefox, and I was able to fix it. If you have more than one browser installed, this would at least enable you to know for certain if it is the browser which is the problem.

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi, Jack. Oct 5, 2013

I am using Safari, mostly, or Chrome. I think, however it is happening with both, on one site. I have to check -- this is a good idea. I use mostly Safari.

Margareth Santos
Margareth Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Free grammar checkers Oct 5, 2013

Have you tried installing Grammarly or Ginger?
They're not 100% dependable but, then again, they DO sort of help out. As long as you're careful to use the set-up and choose between US or UK English.
Then just comb the text, line per line, just to see if you spot any other errors.
This is just an idea, check them out if you like.
Good luck!

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi everyone. Oct 5, 2013

I just checked another browser -- Firefox. It works well with Firefox, but it does not work with Safari. I am still interested what the reason might be, though. It is not something that happens from time to time, but rather something permanent, with that browser.

Joshua Pepper
Joshua Pepper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Is it just a 'feature' of the spellchecker? Oct 5, 2013

Does the problem mainly occur when you're working with large texts?

I think that I've noticed in the past that browser spellcheckers only bother to check for a few lines around where your cursor is currently placed, probably in order to manage their resources more efficiently.

If this guess is indeed correct, the spellchecker should 'wake up' if you skim through the text with the right arrow-key, or click around with your mouse.

This of course doesn't prov
... See more
Does the problem mainly occur when you're working with large texts?

I think that I've noticed in the past that browser spellcheckers only bother to check for a few lines around where your cursor is currently placed, probably in order to manage their resources more efficiently.

If this guess is indeed correct, the spellchecker should 'wake up' if you skim through the text with the right arrow-key, or click around with your mouse.

This of course doesn't provide a solution, but if you recognise this as your problem maybe that will help you to solve it!
Collapse

felicij
felicij  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:28
German to Slovenian
+ ...
The spellchecker is probably Oct 5, 2013

not compatible with Safari.
I notice some other problems in certain browsers. E.g. in Safari my mouse scroll button does not work unless I spin it very hard, but it works fine in every other browser and program. In FF, like when writing a forum post, the browser freezes every 10 seconds for 3 seconds and it doesn't in Chrome or IE...

LilianNekipelov
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, everyone. Oct 6, 2013

I think it must be an incompatibility problem -- I am sure now. I was referring to something that occurs on the internet, not when I am translating. I usually use Word, so there no problem with spell checking in Word, at all.

I think the internal spell checker of that site is not compatible with Safari, and this is why the spell checker was working selectively, underlining some words, while leaving other words out (quite obvious typos). Their speller checker works fine with Firefox
... See more
I think it must be an incompatibility problem -- I am sure now. I was referring to something that occurs on the internet, not when I am translating. I usually use Word, so there no problem with spell checking in Word, at all.

I think the internal spell checker of that site is not compatible with Safari, and this is why the spell checker was working selectively, underlining some words, while leaving other words out (quite obvious typos). Their speller checker works fine with Firefox -- no problem at all. I did not check other browsers yet.

I don't have to spin the mouse -- this is good. Just kidding. Safari works great with all other sites, so it must have been just some kind of incompatibility.

[Edited at 2013-10-06 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:28
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
On browsers... from a Netscape fan Oct 6, 2013

My very first browser/e-mail app on the Internet was Netscape v3.0. One version after another, I never liked MSIE, and only used it when a site wouldn't open with Netscape. I've always used the latter for e-mail.

The last reliable Netscape was v7.2. I kept using it for e-mail, even when the browser wouldn't work any more, not even on my own web site. By then, several players were around, and I got a few of these new browsers, to use whenever needed, especially Firefox and Chrome.... See more
My very first browser/e-mail app on the Internet was Netscape v3.0. One version after another, I never liked MSIE, and only used it when a site wouldn't open with Netscape. I've always used the latter for e-mail.

The last reliable Netscape was v7.2. I kept using it for e-mail, even when the browser wouldn't work any more, not even on my own web site. By then, several players were around, and I got a few of these new browsers, to use whenever needed, especially Firefox and Chrome.

One day I discovered SeaMonkey. I had the impression that it was developed by the Mozilla people who disliked Thunderbird and Firefox as much as I did. It is nothing more than Netscape revamped to the current state of the art, and it immediately became my preferred browser. It led me to uninstall Netscape definitely.

My impression is that its spell checker works fine, though you can have only one language at a time. The only objection I can see there applies to Brazil: there is no PT-BR GUI option available, only PT-PT. As I use it in US English, this makes no difference to me.

Worth a try! ... especially for those who were once fond of Netscape.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spell checkers-- help needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »