Valeria Vitale  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:41
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 17, 2007

Hello colleagues:

I have a file in MS Publisher and I am wondering how I can count the number of words it has.

I think I can't use Trados for this. Is there any other CAT tool that I can use for this?

Thank you in advance.

Valeria

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:41
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A bit roundabout, but... Aug 17, 2007

Convert it into a PDF file, then run the PDF through OCR software to make a Word file.

Then analyze it with Trados.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If you have MS Publisher... Aug 17, 2007

Valeria Vitale wrote:
I have a file in MS Publisher and I am wondering how I can count the number of words it has.

If anyone you know has MS Publisher, let them open it and go File -> Save As and save in one of two formats -- plaintext (with a TXT extension) or MS Word 2000 RTF (with a DOC extension). Both will contain the same information, but the RTF will have section breaks between text sections.

This method will not extract word art, even though word art is editable in MS Publisher. It successfully extracts text boxes and tables. It does not extract images. Then just do a word count in any old word processor or CAT tool, and hope the file does not consist entirely of word art objects.

Remember that older versions of MS Publisher can't open files created on newer versions. If your Publisher file is really old (say, 1997), you can open it in Notepad and see the text.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Publisher: Word Counting and Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »