Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use MT in regular, non-PEMT translation projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:16
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Same here Mar 18

Stepan Konev wrote:

I always use MT because my MT engine is offline and local to my computer only. And I mostly translate articles already publicly available on the internet. I am a translator either. The one who can use tools. Using MT won't prevent you from being a translator and using your translation skills. You still need to use your head to check and edit translations as need may be.

I have bought a license for an offline version of my Neural MT and am quite happy with it because it really saves time, in some cases, and doesn't violate requirements for non-use of public MT engines.

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:16
Greek to English
DIY cuisine Mar 19

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

It's like asking do you cook on cooker or on open fire

No, it’s like ordering in a pizza from Domino’s and adding your own toppings.

So, Chris, are you saying that by sourcing all your own ingredients and making an entire pizza from scratch, you could produce a better result than the one you would get from Domino's?

If that's true, then more power to you. I couldn't.

If you want a cooking metaphor, how about this one.

Imagine you're head chef at a 3-star Michelin restaurant. Would you rather:

1. do all the routine prep yourself, or

2. have a few kitchen assistants to wash and chop the vegetables, scrub the worktops, and do other menial tasks, leaving you to devote your time and energy to the creative part of meal preparation?

Which model do you think would produce a more appealing menu?

Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas
Jorge Payan
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ready meals on crack Mar 19

Philip Lees wrote:
So, Chris, are you saying that by sourcing all your own ingredients and making an entire pizza from scratch, you could produce a better result than the one you would get from Domino's?

Not as round, but yes!

The trouble is, MT doesn’t just chop your veg. It creates an entire meal.

I could maybe turn it into something edible by adding some seasoning and picking the bits of runner bean out of the crème brûlée, but it’s never going to be the real thing.

I don’t mind chopping veg anyway.

Horses for courses, but I know that I could never turn MT output into something as natural as I would have written myself, and I would enjoy my work less as a result. So I will die on this hill!

Christine Andersen

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not at all relevant, but ... Mar 19

Philip Lees wrote:

Making your own pizza from scratch is actually not that hard and, yes, home made is nicer than Dominos.

I don't think it's particularly relevant to the debate about MT though.

Dan Lucas
Michele Fauble

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 09:16
English to Finnish
+ ...
Note for lumberjacks Mar 19

Gennady Lapardin wrote:

It's like asking do you cook on cooker or on open fire

Or telling lumberjacks that trees must be cut using a machete. No chain saws allowed.

[Edited at 2024-03-19 16:42 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use MT in regular, non-PEMT translation projects?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »