Voting is underway in the Third ProZ.com Translation Contest!
Thread poster: María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
María Florencia Vita
Local time: 16:08
SITE STAFF
Jul 8, 2007

Dear members,

Voting is underway in the third ProZ.com translation contest !

You are kindly invited to review the different language pairs and enjoy the way other translators handled the challenge. And if you meet the conditions required to vote, consider doing so and posting comments that may help us all learn and have fun.

As a way to convey the conviction that the contest is a community event shar
... See more
Dear members,

Voting is underway in the third ProZ.com translation contest !

You are kindly invited to review the different language pairs and enjoy the way other translators handled the challenge. And if you meet the conditions required to vote, consider doing so and posting comments that may help us all learn and have fun.

As a way to convey the conviction that the contest is a community event shared by entry posters and voters alike, a drawing for a ProZ.com case will take place among the voters of this last phase of the contest.

Thanks for your participation and support!

Kind regards,
Florencia
Collapse

cristina estanislau
cristina estanislau  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Contest English/Portuguese Jul 8, 2007

Hi
I am Portuguese PT.
I was reading the translations posted in this pair and I think there is a question here.
I think that Portuguese PT is rather different from Portuguese BR. Although they are the same language, they have really different ways of expressing the same idea.
I voted for the translation I found more well structured in Portuguese/PT but it can happen that the translation more voted is a Portuguese/BR (just because a lot more brasilien translators chose th
... See more
Hi
I am Portuguese PT.
I was reading the translations posted in this pair and I think there is a question here.
I think that Portuguese PT is rather different from Portuguese BR. Although they are the same language, they have really different ways of expressing the same idea.
I voted for the translation I found more well structured in Portuguese/PT but it can happen that the translation more voted is a Portuguese/BR (just because a lot more brasilien translators chose that one) or vice versa.
Shouldn't there be the possibility to choose the best Portuguese/PT and the best Portuguese/BR translation?
Just a question.
Regards
Cristina

Bom dia
Sou Portuguesa/PT
Estive a ler as traduções colocadas neste par e penso que há aqui lugar a uma questão.
Penso que o Português/PT e o Português/BR são bastante diferentes. Embora sejam a mesma lingua, têm modos bastante diversos de expressar a mesma ideia.
Eu, pessoalmente, votei na tradução que achei mais correcta em Português/PT mas pode suceder que a tradução mais votada seja uma em Português/BR (basta que haja mais tradutores brasileiros a votar) ou vice versa.
Não deveria haver a possibilidade de escolher a melhor tradução em Português/PT e a melhor em Português/BR?
Esta é a minha questão.
Cumprimentos a todos
Cristina

[Edited at 2007-07-09 10:37]
Collapse

Katarina Peters
Katarina Peters  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:08
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Contest English/Portuguese Jul 9, 2007

Hi Cristina,

I'm really glad you brought this up, as this was exactly my point at the occasion of the first contest in January. I sent an e-mail to Florencia about it, but never got a reply, and the issue was completely ignored. Here is the copy of that e-mail to Florencia:

Dear Florencia,
>
> I think that a distinction should have been made between Brazilian
> Portuguese and European Portuguese, so that each contestant, whether BP or
> EP,
... See more
Hi Cristina,

I'm really glad you brought this up, as this was exactly my point at the occasion of the first contest in January. I sent an e-mail to Florencia about it, but never got a reply, and the issue was completely ignored. Here is the copy of that e-mail to Florencia:

Dear Florencia,
>
> I think that a distinction should have been made between Brazilian
> Portuguese and European Portuguese, so that each contestant, whether BP or
> EP, could have been judged accordingly. There are language peculiarities
> which may sound strange to a BP when reading EP and vice-versa, and the
> merits of an EP contestant may be overlooked by a BP voter and
> vice-versa...but I guess it's a little too late now...
>
> This is my opinion!
>
> Regards,
> Katarina
Collapse

Vania de Souza
Vania de Souza
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Contest English/Portuguese Jul 9, 2007

I'm a Brazilian born longtime resident in Portugal. I agree with both Cristina and Catarina. I'm constantly asked to "translate" from BR to PT and vice versa.

Any contest that ignores the differences between the two is flawed to start with. Not only because there are different ways of writing the same language in the two countries, but also because there is a vast number of BR translators and the number of PT voters is much smaller.

Personally, I wouldn't vote for eithe
... See more
I'm a Brazilian born longtime resident in Portugal. I agree with both Cristina and Catarina. I'm constantly asked to "translate" from BR to PT and vice versa.

Any contest that ignores the differences between the two is flawed to start with. Not only because there are different ways of writing the same language in the two countries, but also because there is a vast number of BR translators and the number of PT voters is much smaller.

Personally, I wouldn't vote for either, since I write both ways.

I consider sad that Florencia should ignore Katarina's suggestion, as it is not only just, but also pertinent.

Best regards to all

Vania de Souza
Collapse

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree there should be a distinction Jul 9, 2007

However in the last contest (ad correct me if I am wrong) the winner was a PT-Portuguese translator.

Deolindo
Deolindo  Identity Verified
Angola
English to Portuguese
+ ...
.... Jul 11, 2007

in the last contest the winner was a PT-Portuguese translator

Probably because there were Brazilians voting for him. What I write and speak is closer to European Portuguese, but I settled for a Brazilian rendition. I agree with separating though.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voting is underway in the Third ProZ.com Translation Contest!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »