F Scott Ophof (X)
F Scott Ophof (X)  Identity Verified
Belize
Local time: 05:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
Right on! Jan 30, 2012

Kristi Hyllekve wrote:
I wrote to the HR contact for the company, stated what had happened, how I had fulfilled the initial request and refused the subsequent request to embellish/change/pad the translated text. I said I had search for the company's Code of Ethics but couldn't find it on the website; did they have one?
I stated that I should be paid for the completed job based on the instructions given to me at the start of the project and requested the name of the PM's manager.

It sounds like you stuck to exactly the facts, no more and no less, without including your own interpretations. If "embellish/change/pad" were words literally used by your contact, so much the better.That request for their code of ethics is a neat addition.
Time to cross the fingers. And maybe contact ProZ site staff via this forum's moderator?
What do the other readers here think of the timing for that step?

Christopher Rizzo, Esq (X)
United States
Local time: 07:21
German to English
visa application May 7, 2012

By way of background I am both a lawyer and translator and I practiced immigration law for several years.

You were asked essentially to commit a crime. In fact whoever asked you to misrepresent the translation already committed a crime. You may have a duty to report this to law enforcement. You should seek the opinion of legal counsel immediately.

If the visa application was for an immigration benefit in the United States, it would be a Federal crime and one could
... See more
By way of background I am both a lawyer and translator and I practiced immigration law for several years.

You were asked essentially to commit a crime. In fact whoever asked you to misrepresent the translation already committed a crime. You may have a duty to report this to law enforcement. You should seek the opinion of legal counsel immediately.

If the visa application was for an immigration benefit in the United States, it would be a Federal crime and one could go to prison. So anyone asked to translate for a visa application, be extremely careful. Almost every word on a visa application is material and if you misrepresent in the slightest, you could have criminal liability even as a translator. One cannot hide behind the fact that they are translating or are a "third party" to the application, if you misrepresent anything material, in any manner, you can have criminal liability.

[Edited at 2012-05-07 22:54 GMT]
Collapse

United States
German to English
May 7, 2012

[Edited at 2012-05-07 22:47 GMT]

Kristi Hyllekve
Kristi Hyllekve
United States
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But do I report them? May 8, 2012

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for verifying what I believed: that the company was asking me to do something illegal to improve the immigrants chances to get a visa for the UK. Duplicity is not ethical. However, they refused to pay me. Many of those who wrote on this subject stated the same: what was asked was wrong. The questions remains: do I report them?

United States
German to English
Reporting crime Jun 3, 2012

Hi Kristi: I am not sure if you have a duty to report this to law enforcement. I am not familiar with UK immigration law. I think you should seek out a lawyer in this area and ask for an opinion. My guess would be no duty to report since you are not in a special relationship to the parties to the crime. Make sure you document everything discussed with the lawyer.

Good luck,
Christopher

[Edited at 2012-06-03 04:40 GMT]

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:21
Hebrew to English
Report them Jun 3, 2012

Kristi Hyllekve wrote:

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for verifying what I believed: that the company was asking me to do something illegal to improve the immigrants chances to get a visa for the UK. Duplicity is not ethical. However, they refused to pay me. Many of those who wrote on this subject stated the same: what was asked was wrong. The questions remains: do I report them?

To the UK Border Agency.
They have pages online specifically designed for such things: reporting "crime and suspicious behaviour".
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/contact/report-crime/

There are ways of doing it anonymously if you so wish.

United States
German to English
Reporting it Jun 4, 2012

That's a good start Ty, thanks for posting the link.

It's people like these who make it difficult for others who respect the immigration laws and abide by them. Because of these people, all immigration petitions are highly scrutinized, almost to the point of a presumption of fraud. In the U.S., one must file an "anti-fraud fee" for certain petitions. It's really become absurd.

It always amazes me that people are willing to circumvent immigration laws. Most of them u
... See more
That's a good start Ty, thanks for posting the link.

It's people like these who make it difficult for others who respect the immigration laws and abide by them. Because of these people, all immigration petitions are highly scrutinized, almost to the point of a presumption of fraud. In the U.S., one must file an "anti-fraud fee" for certain petitions. It's really become absurd.

It always amazes me that people are willing to circumvent immigration laws. Most of them unaware of how serious it really is. They never think of prison as a consequence, but lying to the government is a fast-track to low-security prison.

[Edited at 2012-06-04 01:40 GMT]
Collapse

Marcia R Pinheiro
Marcia R Pinheiro
Australia
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You should get paid for your work! Jun 4, 2012

Kristi:
VISA and changing text... .
Look, they obviously have to pay you. That is why I am starting a syndicate in Australia. We obviously need reliable bodies to defend our rights. Visit our Facebook site: Group of Professional Translators and Interpreters of Australia.
Marcia Pinheiro

Kristi Hyllekve
Kristi Hyllekve
United States
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you -- will revisit, re-invoice but should I report? Jun 12, 2012

Thank you, Ty, Christopher and Marcia. Your interest and concern has propelled me into revisiting that rather unpleasant -- as yet, unpaid -- episode. I did check out the URL, Ty -- thanks for sending it. Unfortunately, I do not know the person's name who insisted on including false praise in the newspaper clippings for the singer to enhance her chances for a UK visa.

It was the bullying by the vendor that I wanted to avoid. It happens often enough in freelancing when one must figh
... See more
Thank you, Ty, Christopher and Marcia. Your interest and concern has propelled me into revisiting that rather unpleasant -- as yet, unpaid -- episode. I did check out the URL, Ty -- thanks for sending it. Unfortunately, I do not know the person's name who insisted on including false praise in the newspaper clippings for the singer to enhance her chances for a UK visa.

It was the bullying by the vendor that I wanted to avoid. It happens often enough in freelancing when one must fight to be paid for work done well. They were quite unpleasant.

I will write to them -- again -- re: payment. Do I actually suggest that I might report them? or just do it? I will post a BB comment.

Thank you all for your continuing support. I am certain that this happens far more than is acknowledged. Thank goodness for forums -- and concerned professionals -- giving us an avenue to discuss these issues.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change of scope from edit to unethical

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »