william wooderson
william wooderson  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:24
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved. May 31, 2012

Dear everyone,
I think I must have a faulty version of Word 2007 (?).
Eventually, I changed the format to .odt and managed to do the simple Find-Replace which Helena suggested without problem, then converted the file back to Word 97-2003.
So, my advice to anyone else who encounters this problem of replacing different types of quotation marks is to convert the file to .odt and do the Find-Replace option, if this does not work in your version of Office Word, then
... See more
Dear everyone,
I think I must have a faulty version of Word 2007 (?).
Eventually, I changed the format to .odt and managed to do the simple Find-Replace which Helena suggested without problem, then converted the file back to Word 97-2003.
So, my advice to anyone else who encounters this problem of replacing different types of quotation marks is to convert the file to .odt and do the Find-Replace option, if this does not work in your version of Office Word, then convert the file back.
Thank you again to everyone for your suggestions.
William
Collapse

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:24
German to English
works in Word 2010 May 31, 2012

Hello everyone,

I had a similar problem once and can remember having some difficulties with the automatic "Find and Replace" in Word.

At least in Word 2010, you can do this automatically by copying the opening quotation and pasting it into the "Find" box.

It seems to be the case that if you simply highlight or type in a quotation mark, then "Find" will not distinguish between opening and closing quotation marks.
Finding and replacing quotation mark
... See more
Hello everyone,

I had a similar problem once and can remember having some difficulties with the automatic "Find and Replace" in Word.

At least in Word 2010, you can do this automatically by copying the opening quotation and pasting it into the "Find" box.

It seems to be the case that if you simply highlight or type in a quotation mark, then "Find" will not distinguish between opening and closing quotation marks.
Finding and replacing quotation marks with a space before and then with a space after them also often leads to problems, because of punctuation (or tags) adjacent to quotation marks.

As far as UK style goes, I think that double quotation marks are less an Americanism than a part of the internal UK divide between (UK) newspaper English and (UK) "academic" English. For example, Guardian Style demands double quotation marks (but follows UK rules for placing periods and commas inside or outside of the quotation marks).

The same is true of -ise vs. -ize spelling, although here the divide is different: Oxford vs. the rest of the UK instead of UK newspapers vs. the rest of the UK (as in the case of double vs. single quotation marks).

Which brings me to my point: Can someone suggest an authorative UK academic style guide (along the lines of New Hart's Rules or MHRA Style) that uses -ise spelling and does not use Oxford commas?

Sincerely,
Michael
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Post-editing: changing quotation marks from " " to « »

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »