Thread poster: Daniela Zambrini
Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:53
French to English
+ ...
Many thanks Mar 3, 2011

Thanks Daniela - obviously further than it looked on the map! I'll have another think about it, but am definitely hoping to come. How close is the conference hotel to the city centre if I want to do some sightseeing too?

Claire

[Edited at 2011-03-03 12:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-03 12:34 GMT]

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:53
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Many questions :-) Mar 5, 2011

Hi everyone

Like all others who have never been to Rome before I have a lot of questions.

The forums here so far have been very interesting and provided a lot of information already.

The mentioned hotel, Cristoforo Colombo, seems to be a slightly cheaper alternative to the conference hotel itself and within reasonable distance to the venue.

However, looking for other alternative accommodation options I get a feeling that Rome as a whole isn´t
... See more
Hi everyone

Like all others who have never been to Rome before I have a lot of questions.

The forums here so far have been very interesting and provided a lot of information already.

The mentioned hotel, Cristoforo Colombo, seems to be a slightly cheaper alternative to the conference hotel itself and within reasonable distance to the venue.

However, looking for other alternative accommodation options I get a feeling that Rome as a whole isn´t exactly on the cheap side.
So I was wondering if it´s really worth booking a (slightly) cheaper hotel somewhere further outside, or if you would be spending what you save on transport to get back and forth (not to mention the time factor)?

As for the distance to Rome city centre/sightseeing places I will wait for the answer to Claire´s question

I do have another distance question though (not sure if I should maybe post this in the travel forum?). How far is the conference hotel from Ciampino airport (not Fiumicino) and what would be the best option to get from there to the hotel, or any hotel in this sort of area? How expensive is taxi travel in Rome? (A rough indication maybe, I don´t know if they also charge per minute or per km, etc.? or just whatever they feel like:)

Thanks a lot in advance for any information for someone who doesn´t know Rome at all, which will hopefully change soon

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Manuela
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Daniela Zambrini  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
distance between conference venue Hotel and airports Mar 5, 2011

Hello Manuela,

distance between conference venue (Hotel dei Congressi) and airports (Fiumicino and Ciampino) can be found on the conference page under the travel section http://www.proz.com/conference/205#travel

Ciampino airport is about 20 km from the city; it is connected to the FS (State Railway) train station Roma Termini by Cotral/Schiaffini blue buses. Tickets can
... See more
Hello Manuela,

distance between conference venue (Hotel dei Congressi) and airports (Fiumicino and Ciampino) can be found on the conference page under the travel section http://www.proz.com/conference/205#travel

Ciampino airport is about 20 km from the city; it is connected to the FS (State Railway) train station Roma Termini by Cotral/Schiaffini blue buses. Tickets can be bought onboard and cost 5 Euro

The Hotel dei Congressi is just next to the EUR Fermi metro stop, Line B.
Line B takes you in approx 15 mins to Pyramid and Colosseum, and in 20 mins to Termini Central Station (from where you can catch line A, going to Piazza di Spagna and the Vatican). Link for metro map http://en.turismoroma.it/benvenuti_a_roma/metro_map

Further information in English on public transport available at the following link
http://en.turismoroma.it/benvenuti_a_roma/muoversi_in_citta

I look forward to meeting you in Rome,
ciao
Daniela

p.s. don't miss the Virtual Teaser presentation on the Rome Conference: you can register at http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/241
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Daniela Mar 5, 2011

..for your very quick reply and all the additional information.

This sounds all very good and I really should finalise my travel plans soon now

All going well I too look forward to meeting you in Rome.

Ciao, Manuela

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Availability update Hotel dei Congressi Mar 7, 2011

Hello to all

This is to inform you that the Hotel dei Congressi has updated me on the remaining number of rooms available (special allotment and price for conference attendees)

Total rooms remanining (update March 7th 2011) 25

Information on the discount available also visible in Acco
... See more
Hello to all

This is to inform you that the Hotel dei Congressi has updated me on the remaining number of rooms available (special allotment and price for conference attendees)

Total rooms remanining (update March 7th 2011) 25

Information on the discount available also visible in Accommodation tab in the conference page http://www.proz.com/conference/205?page=accommodation

(Standard rates at the hotel are 140 € for a single room and 190 € for a double room).

When booking, you should use the keyword "ProZ.com" to secure your room from the available allotment that the conference venue has reserved at a special rate for ProZ.com attendees:

100,00 € single room, 130,00 € double room (VAT, WI-FI access and breakfast included) - rates are per night.

Ciao,
D
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Availability Mar 7, 2011

Hi Daniela,

That's interesting: I inquired yesterday and was told they didn't have any rooms available on 21st March. I ended up booking a cheaper hotel round the corner, so I hope it's OK (Relais Mediterraneum) and is actually round the corner and not a bus ride away!

Looking forward to meeting you at the conference. Must brush up on my Italian before then!

Ciao,

Claire

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
dates? ;-) Mar 7, 2011

Claire Cox wrote:

Hi Daniela,

That's interesting: I inquired yesterday and was told they didn't have any rooms available on 21st March. I ended up booking a cheaper hotel round the corner, so I hope it's OK (Relais Mediterraneum) and is actually round the corner and not a bus ride away!

Looking forward to meeting you at the conference. Must brush up on my Italian before then!

Ciao,

Claire

Hi Claire! did you ask for March or May ? The keyword ProZ.com is essential to secure a room from the agreed allotment. But maybe their booking system misunderstood. Sorry about that!

In any case, the option you have found (http://www.relaismediterraneum.it ) is literally round the corner and can be suggested as a good alternative for other attendees.

Ciao!

D.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
May Mar 7, 2011

Hi Daniela,

Sorry, no that was my mistake here. I did ask for the 21 May and I did quote Proz.com, both in the header of my e-mail and in the text itself. I thought it was strange. Oh well, let's hope all's well that ends well. This was considerably cheaper, so fingers crossed.

All the best,

Claire

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll take a look Mar 7, 2011

Claire Cox wrote:

This was considerably cheaper, so fingers crossed.

Ciao Claire, next week I should be popping round to the conference venue. I'll take a look at the hotel you chose and let you know. Will be posting here on the forum so it can help otherw too.
In any case, it seems fine, really!
Ciao, D.

[Edited at 2011-03-07 13:24 GMT]

David Smith
David Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Chinese to English
Hostels Mar 10, 2011

Hi,

I'm hoping to stay in a hostel where I might be able to treat it more like a holiday.

I'm not worried about being in a rough neigbourhood, but I want to be near all the nightlife and sightseeing things if possible. I'm hoping to spend a few days there before the conference.

I've found a list:

... See more
Hi,

I'm hoping to stay in a hostel where I might be able to treat it more like a holiday.

I'm not worried about being in a rough neigbourhood, but I want to be near all the nightlife and sightseeing things if possible. I'm hoping to spend a few days there before the conference.

I've found a list:

http://www.hostelworld.com/search?search_keywords=Rome,%20Italy&country=Italy&city=Rome

which gives a lot of affordable hostels in central Rome. They are far cheaper than the hotel you recommended. Nearly all of them are near the Terminal Station.

My question is would it be a nightmare for me to get to the conference venue, or will I be able to just get into a train or subway??

Thanks,
David
Collapse

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
accommodation around Termini Station Mar 10, 2011

Hello David!

metro Line B links Termini Station directly to EUR Fermi, which is the stop for the conference venue (Hotel dei Congressi).

The journey will be approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Very easy.

Just like in any big city, areas around the central station can be a bit rough at night. Take care

Yvonne Gallagher
Yvonne Gallagher
Ireland
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Hotel fully booked Mar 29, 2011

In any case, the option you have found (http://www.relaismediterraneum.it ) is literally round the corner and can be suggested as a good alternative for other attendees.

I know I left it late to book but want to let everyone know this hotel has got back to me to say they are now fully booked. Does anyone know of a similar hotel near conference venue that still has availability?

Anna Aleshkina
Anna Aleshkina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:53
Russian to English
+ ...
lunch/coffee break prices Mar 31, 2011

Hi Daniela!

Please inform shall I pay for lunches and coffee breaks (21.05-22.05), or they already included into the conference fee?

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no extra costs Apr 1, 2011

Anna Rus wrote:

Hi Daniela!

Please inform shall I pay for lunches and coffee breaks (21.05-22.05), or they already included into the conference fee?

Hello Anna

Coffee breaks on Saturday and Sunday, plus lunches on Saturday May 21st and Sunday May 22nd are included in the conference fee.

The Gala dinner (Saturday evening) is included in all two day packages except for student packages.

Don't forget to check out the Virtual Teaser for the Rome Conference on April 7th http://www.proz.com/virtual-conferences/241

Ciao,
D.

Daniela Zambrini
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update on room availability at the Hotel dei Congressi Apr 7, 2011

Hello to all

Total rooms remanining (update April 7th 2011) 18 rooms left in our allotment (further rooms are available but not guaranteed after April 15th)

Information on the discount available also visible in Accommodation tab in the conf
... See more
Hello to all

Total rooms remanining (update April 7th 2011) 18 rooms left in our allotment (further rooms are available but not guaranteed after April 15th)

Information on the discount available also visible in Accommodation tab in the conference page http://www.proz.com/conference/205?page=accommodation

(Standard rates at the hotel are 140 € for a single room and 190 € for a double room).

When booking, you should use the keyword "ProZ.com" to secure your room from the available allotment that the conference venue has reserved at a special rate for ProZ.com attendees:

100,00 € single room, 130,00 € double room (VAT, WI-FI access and breakfast included) - rates are per night.

Ciao,
D
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Rome conference 2011: accommodation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »