Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)
Thread poster: Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:22
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 1

ProZ have launched a survey called 'Understanding perceptions of ProZ.com' (!) in the New at ProZ.com section of the site,

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z87HPHX

As if we haven't voiced our concerns - pardon me, perceptions - enough in these pages...

ibz
Christel Zipfel
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Tanja Oresnik
Philip Lees
Becca Resnik
writeaway

ibz
ibz  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Saw it as well and wondered Feb 1

We obviously haven't voiced the perceptions ProZ wanted to hear. Lots of threads are opened by ProZ moderators for Premium members (not that they get much response as far as I can see) but questions on other threads are still ignored. It's kind of ridiculous.

BTW: Notifications still don't work. Just saying...

Christel Zipfel
Tanja Oresnik
Philip Lees
philgoddard
P.L.F. Persio
Yvonne Gallagher

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Feb 1

Barbara Carrara wrote:

ProZ have launched a survey called 'Understanding perceptions of ProZ.com' (!) in the New at ProZ.com section of the site,

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Z87HPHX

As if we haven't voiced our concerns - pardon me, perceptions - enough in these pages...

You can only cite one suggestion to improve the website so I said to come here and read what we have to say!

Barbara Carrara
ibz
Emily Gilby
Ester Vidal
Philip Lees
Becca Resnik

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Other areas where one can add their 'perceptions' Feb 1

Kay Denney wrote:
You can only cite one suggestion to improve the website so I said to come here and read what we have to say!

Hi, Kay.

I suppose one could add their own thoughts in the 'What do you know about ProZ?', 'What words would you use to describe ProZ.com?' ('Other' window), besides the 'one piece of advice' you mentioned, from question 8.

In another thread from a while back, one ProZ staff member said that they DO read the fora (cannot find it now, but I am sure someone will). Not that that perception is widely shared...

Kay Denney
Daryo

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:22
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
. Feb 1

I did voice my concerns (perceptions?) for the nth time. Will I be heard? Will there be action? I wonder…

Barbara Carrara
ibz
Philip Lees
Kay Denney
Dan Lucas
Becca Resnik
P.L.F. Persio

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
At least they try Feb 2

I've just answered it. Let's hope it's not just signalling 'We listen' while it all goes to the trash, or while really just trying to figure out if us old farts in the forums ruin too much of the business reputation.

Proz.com is a strange place. I'd say it's one of the really few that isn't just a people mill like other online job boards and at least partially helps support our work. On the other hand it's worse than a people mill: they just cannot resist flirting with big tech and
... See more
I've just answered it. Let's hope it's not just signalling 'We listen' while it all goes to the trash, or while really just trying to figure out if us old farts in the forums ruin too much of the business reputation.

Proz.com is a strange place. I'd say it's one of the really few that isn't just a people mill like other online job boards and at least partially helps support our work. On the other hand it's worse than a people mill: they just cannot resist flirting with big tech and probably earn a good lot of profit from pushing certain tech onto people on proz.com, locking the translation industry into certain standards that might or might not be the best working tools for translators and/or agencies. I mean, we could all work with FOSS but pay stupid sums for stupid softwares.

Told them to keep the site simple and functional, and decide who they want to support. You can't have several cakes and eat them.

Also, the survey is really strangely worded - 'Tech-oriented'? What were the other business buzzwords in that question? I think Proz.com is going through its midlife crisis and needs to work out who it really is.
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Dr. Matthias Schauen
Ester Vidal
Barbara Carrara
Becca Resnik
Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Re ProZ listening Feb 2

I think we tend to forget here about the ProZ Facebook group which I believe has many more members and active users than the forums, and is also more actively moderated, so it may provide ProZ with very different feedback.

Dan Lucas
Angie Garbarino

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chris Feb 2

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I think we tend to forget here about the ProZ Facebook group which I believe has many more members and active users than the forums, and is also more actively moderated, so it may provide ProZ with very different feedback.

I wouldn't know, as I am not, nor do I plan to be, on Facebook.
Still, isn't this website supposed to be the main 'window' for ProZ?
If that is no longer the case, then there would be no point in me paying for a membership to what might soon become an empty shell/window shelf.

Martina Klett
ibz
Becca Resnik
Tom in London
Michele Fauble
writeaway
Christel Zipfel

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Thanks for pointing this out, Barbara Feb 3

I wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

Barbara Carrara
Becca Resnik
Thomas T. Frost

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:22
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Chris Feb 3

There may be more Proz members (let me say that people who are all registered on Proz as members, regardless being a paying member or not to make is simpler) on Facebook than members actively participating in the forums, but are those members on Facebook actively participating in exchanging information within the group?

I don't do Facebook and other social medias, and I hear that people on Facebook actually belong to various groups, but are almost non-existent, i.e. they are actual persons who exist but do not participate in discussions or uploading some information actively but only their names exist.

Also, does debating on Facebook about how Proz should be help Proz improve or fix the series of bug-related issues? I think it would be better for members to state their problems directly on the Proz forums or submit a support ticket instead of yacking within the Facebook group where the possibility of your voice being heard by the Proz staff is slimmer.

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
Wilsonn Perez Reyes

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yasutomo Feb 4

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I think it would be better for members to state their problems directly on the Proz forums or submit a support ticket instead of yacking within the Facebook group where the possibility of your voice being heard by the Proz staff is slimmer.

If you check the fora for ongoing issues (bugs, mostly) being reported to the ProZ staff, you will find that they fill up many - many - pages. As I am pretty sure does the number of support tickets raised to report the above.
As I am sure you know, the bug issue still hasn't been fixed, despite the ProZ staff reporting otherwise. Or apologising for being unable to do so.

Re. ProZ on Facebook, I am not there, so I am unable to check, let alone access, this 'private' group. This being the case, I do not know if any of the above has been reported or discussed there. As far as I know, staff member Andrew Morris has been running it since its inception. Apologies if anything has changed in the meantime.
If you have time - and need some Sunday chuckle -, do read the 2019 thread announcing the ProZ pages on FB,
https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/334072-prozcom_on_facebook.html

Yasutomo Kanazawa
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:22
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
@Barbara Feb 4

Barbara Carrara wrote:

If you check the fora for ongoing issues (bugs, mostly) being reported to the ProZ staff, you will find that they fill up many - many - pages. As I am pretty sure does the number of support tickets raised to report the above.
As I am sure you know, the bug issue still hasn't been fixed, despite the ProZ staff reporting otherwise. Or apologising for being unable to do so.

Yes, I'm fully aware that the bug-related issues have not been solved completely, some still exist.

Re. ProZ on Facebook, I am not there, so I am unable to check, let alone access, this 'private' group. This being the case, I do not know if any of the above has been reported or discussed there. As far as I know, staff member Andrew Morris has been running it since its inception. Apologies if anything has changed in the meantime.
If you have time - and need some Sunday chuckle -, do read the 2019 thread announcing the ProZ pages on FB,
https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/334072-prozcom_on_facebook.html

I've read the forum which you posted above about announcing the Proz page on Facebook, but I had mixed feelings afterreading it. Yes, there were some chuckles, but at the same time, I felt like I'm forced to join the FB group, especially reading Andrew's post, how great the group is etc., and I can feel how desperate he is trying to lure members in joining. The other thing which made me wonder, or rather uneasy was that there were six consecutive posts which were deleted due to straying from the topic and the whole topic has been locked (?) since no one is able to add a new comment or a new post to the topic. From my experience, a thread is locked by a site staff when something goes awry.

Anyway, I don't intend to create a Facebook account to find out what people are posting on the Proz page and I'm not interested in finding out whether they're discussing about the bug issues or just mingling to get to know each other on a personal level.

Barbara Carrara
ibz
P.L.F. Persio
Philip Lees

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Where? Feb 4

I think we tend to forget here about the ProZ Facebook group

What exactly is the address of this FB group (I can only find a few Proz groups with about 10 members.)

Barbara Carrara
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hans, try the link provided Feb 4

Hans Lenting wrote:
What exactly is the address of this FB group (I can only find a few Proz groups with about 10 members.)

Have a look at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProZcom/
copied and pasted from the ProZ-on-FB thread mentioned in my previous post.
I don't know if that's still ongoing, nor how many members it has, as I never joined.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Joining Feb 4

Barbara Carrara wrote:
Have a look at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ProZcom/
copied and pasted from the ProZ-on-FB thread mentioned in my previous post.
I don't know if that's still ongoing, nor how many members it has, as I never joined.

I wasn’t allowed to join the group because it’s run and moderated by Andrew Morris, who doesn’t tolerate dissenting opinions.

Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees
Dan Lucas
Grace Anderson
Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Thomas T. Frost

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In case you've missed it (survey on perceptions and experience of ProZ.com)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »