Software for Four In-House Translators
Thread poster: Jocasta
Jocasta
Jocasta
Local time: 21:22
German to English
Sep 21, 2011

Stepping into the world of CAT has been a bit of a shock. I have been a traditional-style translator for 5 years, but have recently started working in an academic research facility part-time, along with 3 other part-time translators, one of whom works remotely.

'The Man' has asked for information on software to ensure/ assist in consistency - many of the terms we use are very specific, and often 'self-made' translations for academic concepts/ elements that do not exist in English. <
... See more
Stepping into the world of CAT has been a bit of a shock. I have been a traditional-style translator for 5 years, but have recently started working in an academic research facility part-time, along with 3 other part-time translators, one of whom works remotely.

'The Man' has asked for information on software to ensure/ assist in consistency - many of the terms we use are very specific, and often 'self-made' translations for academic concepts/ elements that do not exist in English.

We are not challenged by formats (straight Word Document to Word Document), nor do we have very much repetition at all - which makes me think we need more an automated glossary.

Is this worth buying a software package? Or are there other alternatives?
I am rubbing my temples in bewilderment at the moment - any advice is appreciated!
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Definitely! Sep 21, 2011

Of course it is worth it!

We in the office are four people working for a relatively large number of customers with very specific terminology and wishes, and a server-based CAT tool has done wonders for us. We used workstation-based Trados 2007 licenses before, but have memoQ Server since 2009 and love it. It serves this kind of purposes very nicely, in terms of consistency, joint/simultaneous work, and overall quality.

I would certainly get in touch with the manufacture
... See more
Of course it is worth it!

We in the office are four people working for a relatively large number of customers with very specific terminology and wishes, and a server-based CAT tool has done wonders for us. We used workstation-based Trados 2007 licenses before, but have memoQ Server since 2009 and love it. It serves this kind of purposes very nicely, in terms of consistency, joint/simultaneous work, and overall quality.

I would certainly get in touch with the manufacturers, www.kilgray.com, so that you can explain your work and requirements and get information about how a server-based solution can serve your needs locally and also over the net for the online translator.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
terminology server? Sep 22, 2011

You certainly would be better off with a complete server-based CAT tool, but then the server version might be a budget compared to "only" a term server.

If you do not wish/cannot get a fully-fledged CAT tool. Kilgray's system is named qterm.

Of course, all major CAT makers have their own server-based terminology management systems.

Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Software for Four In-House Translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »