Free SW to find percentage similarity between Word documents
Thread poster: Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 24, 2012

Can anyone recommend free software that can calculate similarity between two Word files as a percentage?

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Really percentage needed? Feb 25, 2012

Or to see the details two Word documents are different in? If so just use Compare feature (like that in Word 2007) by selecting two documents - the different parts will be highlighted for convenience.

[Edited at 2012-02-25 08:27 GMT]

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I need percentage for the following reason Feb 25, 2012

I do need the number. I realize that this is an ambiguous request, since it's not obvious how to define this percentage. The problem is, I normally charge my customers (except agencies) per target character (not per source word). On rare occasions some of them request a discount because the documents they send me are similar to those I have translated before. Therefore I need a program that could calculate the similarity between the documents. This program must be free so that the customer could... See more
I do need the number. I realize that this is an ambiguous request, since it's not obvious how to define this percentage. The problem is, I normally charge my customers (except agencies) per target character (not per source word). On rare occasions some of them request a discount because the documents they send me are similar to those I have translated before. Therefore I need a program that could calculate the similarity between the documents. This program must be free so that the customer could also use it, it must not be associated with CAT software (so as to keep discount requests rare and modest ), and the result it gives must be plausible.Collapse

Radian Yazynin
Radian Yazynin  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Can't suggest a better thing than this Feb 25, 2012

At least in Word "Compare" you may calculate this percentage based on the quantitative data (how many items were changed).

[Edited at 2012-02-25 11:37 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:23
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Why Feb 25, 2012

not using Studio analysis? I gives lots of information.

Moreover, you could compare files in Word and charge the client for the time needed to update the documents, instead of wordcount.

Artem Vakhitov
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Studio analysis doesn't meet the first two requirements Feb 25, 2012

Natalie wrote:

not using Studio analysis? I gives lots of information.

Moreover, you could compare files in Word and charge the client for the time needed to update the documents, instead of wordcount.

Studio analysis doesn't meet the first two requirements: "This program must be free so that the customer could also use it, it must not be associated with CAT software (so as to keep discount requests rare and modest )".

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
PhraseMiner, memoQ Feb 26, 2012

Not free, but very inexpensive (20 euros), PhraseMiner by Dave Turner has a function that will let you do this:

http://asap-traduction.com/PhraseMiner

You can also use the trial version of memoQ translator pro, which has such a feature (called homogeneity, under statistics). Not free either, but the trial version is fully f
... See more
Not free, but very inexpensive (20 euros), PhraseMiner by Dave Turner has a function that will let you do this:

http://asap-traduction.com/PhraseMiner

You can also use the trial version of memoQ translator pro, which has such a feature (called homogeneity, under statistics). Not free either, but the trial version is fully functional for 45 days.

http://kilgray.com/memoq/50/help-en/statistics_dialog.html?zoom_highlightsub=homogeneity
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free SW to find percentage similarity between Word documents

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »