Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:10
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Apr 13, 2014

Today I thought it would be a good idea to purchase the newest version 12 of the software. After download I installed the program the usual way. I wandered why the installation folder was /temp.
The next time I installed it under C:/Program Files/. But in any case, there is no entry in the Start menu (I see there only version 8 and 11). And no icon on the desktop.
I sent a mail to support, but who knows when they will answer. I wonder if anyone has an answer on how to start the softw
... See more
Today I thought it would be a good idea to purchase the newest version 12 of the software. After download I installed the program the usual way. I wandered why the installation folder was /temp.
The next time I installed it under C:/Program Files/. But in any case, there is no entry in the Start menu (I see there only version 8 and 11). And no icon on the desktop.
I sent a mail to support, but who knows when they will answer. I wonder if anyone has an answer on how to start the software from the program folder?
Collapse

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Archived files Apr 13, 2014

Most probably the installation file was an archived file that by default uncompressed to a temp folder on your C drive. I would go to this temp folder and try to launch the actual unpacked installation file.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Put shortcut to exe file on desktop Apr 13, 2014

If the program installed properly, you should find the exe file as follows:
C:\>Program Files (x86)>Abbyy Fine Reader 12>FineReader.exe. Put a shortcut to this on the desktop.

Robert Connal
Robert Connal  Identity Verified
Finland
Finnish to English
Windows 8.1? Apr 13, 2014

The installation process is in two parts: first unpacking setup files to a temp folder, then the actual installtion process. It's possible the second part didn't run, in which case doing the install again should work. You can also (as Andrey suggested) try starting the installation from the temp folder.

Under Windows 8.1, a correctly installed program might only show up if you go and look for it:

Go to the Start page and press the small arrow button on the bottom left
... See more
The installation process is in two parts: first unpacking setup files to a temp folder, then the actual installtion process. It's possible the second part didn't run, in which case doing the install again should work. You can also (as Andrey suggested) try starting the installation from the temp folder.

Under Windows 8.1, a correctly installed program might only show up if you go and look for it:

Go to the Start page and press the small arrow button on the bottom left of the screen. If Finereader 12 installed, there should be an ABBYY Finreader 12 group there with seven items. Right click the ones you want and select either Pin to Start or Pin to Taskbar.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My fault Apr 14, 2014

I noticed now the process has two parts. After extraction a window appears, and I clicked on Exit, but should have clicked on Installation. This is a bit unusual in software installation, and I did not read the content carefully. Now all is ok. Thanks for help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Abbyy Finereader 12 nowhere to be seen after installation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »