Looking for best invoicing solution
Thread poster: alex_schoeber82
alex_schoeber82
alex_schoeber82
Germany
Jul 14, 2014

Every month I'm losing so much time with my invoices which made me go into the topic of invoicing software for translators. I've already searched proz of course. There is already quite a lot on TO3000. As this is really toooo complex for me - I'm not an IT expert - I was looking for other solutions. Google pointed me to the free TRadumanager. Seems simple and I can keep my word template that I have refined over the years. I'm not using it for long so I can't say whether I'll stick with it...but ... See more
Every month I'm losing so much time with my invoices which made me go into the topic of invoicing software for translators. I've already searched proz of course. There is already quite a lot on TO3000. As this is really toooo complex for me - I'm not an IT expert - I was looking for other solutions. Google pointed me to the free TRadumanager. Seems simple and I can keep my word template that I have refined over the years. I'm not using it for long so I can't say whether I'll stick with it...but as it's free....do you have any other suggestions for me or is there someone who is Tradumanager experienced?
My requirements would be:
- simple software
- easy to backup data
- customizable templates
- low cost of course

Thanks - ALEX
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:58
English to Russian
+ ...
quickbooks Jul 14, 2014

solution for beginners...

I cannot say that it is the best solution FOR YOU,

but I can say that this is the best solution for me.

This software...

- simple software
- easy to backup data
- customizable templates
- low cost of course

to say the least...

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 06:58
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Maybe Jul 14, 2014

you could try https://www.proz.com/invoice/try to start with...

alex_schoeber82
alex_schoeber82
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 14, 2014

quickbooks doesn't seem made for translators though. Sergei, can u tell me if you can create quotes and invoices based on line count and what about matches?

Thx for pointing me to the proz solution Natalie, but if you are using it, are u really putting all client data online?? I do not mistrust proz, but they can be hacked and then what....

For now I'll continue testing Tradumanager. If somthing else crosses my way I'll test it too. If you guys are interested, I'll post
... See more
quickbooks doesn't seem made for translators though. Sergei, can u tell me if you can create quotes and invoices based on line count and what about matches?

Thx for pointing me to the proz solution Natalie, but if you are using it, are u really putting all client data online?? I do not mistrust proz, but they can be hacked and then what....

For now I'll continue testing Tradumanager. If somthing else crosses my way I'll test it too. If you guys are interested, I'll post my final feedback here.

BG
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
I myself use TO3000 Jul 14, 2014

alex_schoeber82 wrote:
Thx for pointing me to the proz solution Natalie, but if you are using it, are u really putting all client data online??

Hi Alex, I myself use TO3000 and I am quite satisfied. I didn't mention this as you said that it was "really toooo complex" for you. It is not complicated at all, and it allows you to do everything you need.

[Edited at 2014-07-14 08:43 GMT]

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
In many scenarios MS Word is all you need Jul 14, 2014

alex_schoeber82 wrote:

can u tell me if you can create quotes and invoices based on line count?

You can include fields for line count & line fee in your Word invoice template and have Word multiply both values. Similarly, Word can automatically calculate VAT, subtotals and total. No need for additional software.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/use-a-formula-in-a-word-table-HA102329800.aspx

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:58
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Quoting Natalie: I myself use TO3000 and I am quite satisfied Jul 14, 2014

Natalie wrote:

alex_schoeber82 wrote:
Thx for pointing me to the proz solution Natalie, but if you are using it, are u really putting all client data online??

Hi Alex, I myself use TO3000 and I am quite satisfied. I didn't mention this as you said that it was "really toooo complex" for you. It is not complicated at all, and it allows you to do everything you need.

[Edited at 2014-07-14 08:43 GMT]

It's just about getting used to it and if you want your business to grow, use a professional tool.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's not free Jul 14, 2014

I recently started using an online service, freshbooks.com. It's pretty simple, but can handle everything that I've thrown at it so far (invoicing for website design, business cards, dog tags, translation, etc...).

I pay $20 per month, and it's worth every penny.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:58
German to English
+ ...
Word/Excel Jul 14, 2014

I use a Word template for invoices and Excel for my running totals (invoice amount, amount expected, amount actually received). The problem I have with most other packages is that I invoice in euros and dollars, but receive and report everything in dollars. Quickbooks can't handle that scenario as far as I know.

alex_schoeber82
alex_schoeber82
Germany
TOPIC STARTER
online vs. offline Jul 15, 2014

There seem to be some nice online solutions out there, and for whom it's ok to put all the confidential data on the respective provider's website....why not!

Developing my own word/excel solution is out of question as I'd like to focus on translating! And simply using a word file with some formulas doesn't give me enough possibilities for automatisation.

Currently, I'm trying a cooperation feature, so my
... See more
There seem to be some nice online solutions out there, and for whom it's ok to put all the confidential data on the respective provider's website....why not!

Developing my own word/excel solution is out of question as I'd like to focus on translating! And simply using a word file with some formulas doesn't give me enough possibilities for automatisation.

Currently, I'm trying a cooperation feature, so my colleague and I can work with the same client, translator etc. data, but from different locations. It gives us a consolidated result, but we can also split everything up into our two "businesses". Nice!

Anyone else???
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for best invoicing solution

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »