What tool do you use to search content in your archived documents?
Thread poster: Audrey Demers
Audrey Demers
Audrey Demers  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:59
English to French
May 25, 2015

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a software that would help my team be able to search the content of our archived documents.

Some points to consider :

- We use Trados Studio and Groupshare, and we do have TMs, but they are quite large and separated by specialization area, so we often need search for content directly in our archived documents. We have over 100 000 documents.

- We currently use Copernic, but have run into some problem because our ar
... See more
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a software that would help my team be able to search the content of our archived documents.

Some points to consider :

- We use Trados Studio and Groupshare, and we do have TMs, but they are quite large and separated by specialization area, so we often need search for content directly in our archived documents. We have over 100 000 documents.

- We currently use Copernic, but have run into some problem because our archives are on a shared server, most of our team works remotely and Copernic is really not designed to index over VPN (this was confirmed by Copernic's support team).

Ideally, we need a tool that can :
- Perform a search over VPN on a shared server.
- Allow us to open directly the containing folder, so we have access to the translated document in the same folder.

What do you use? Do you know of any good tools for this purpose?

Thank you for your help!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty
Audrey Demers
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Agent Ransack May 25, 2015

Hi Tom! You deleted your post, maybe because the first answer "Everything Search" is not a content finder, but the second one "Agent Ransack" was a good suggestion

I'll look at the Pro version of the software, it seems to have the kind of user interface we are looking for, and I've inquired to the company to see if it can solve our VPN problem.

Thanks for your help!

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:59
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Audrey: May 25, 2015

At the end of the day, on Windows, there is really only one: dtSearch.

I have tried them all (Copernic, X1, and god knows how many other ones – old and new), and dtSearch is the only one that can properly index and search large volumes of data and file contents (including large files).

Some people find it a bit expensive (I paid £154.62), but you really get what you pay for.

Michael

[Edited at 2015-05-25 14:17 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
yes May 25, 2015

Audrey Demers wrote:

Hi Tom! You deleted your post, maybe because the first answer "Everything Search" is not a content finder, but the second one "Agent Ransack" was a good suggestion

I'll look at the Pro version of the software, it seems to have the kind of user interface we are looking for, and I've inquired to the company to see if it can solve our VPN problem.

Thanks for your help!

Yes- sorry about that - happy searching !

Of course if you had the MacOS you wouldn't be asking

Audrey Demers
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
dtSearch May 25, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

dtSearch does look great! I will definitely look into it! Thanks for your help!

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
merely running OS X isn't going to cut it May 25, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Audrey Demers wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Yes- sorry about that - happy searching !

Of course if you had the MacOS you wouldn't be asking

As far as I know, Spotlight will only index (and thus find) the first 100K (or 64kb according to other sources) of raw text in a file. If the keyword happens later, it will not be seen. If this is true, this is a very big deal. I discovered something similar in X1, but only after I had actually paid for it, installed it, and had been happily using it for a week. Luckily they gave me a full refund.

I also used Copernic for many years, as I really like its UI. However, it has its own problems: it chokes on largish files, and so is completely useless to me as I have a very large collection of text-based files to index (including a very large collection of reference PDFs, .txt and .csv glossaries, TMXs, etc.).

For the Spotlight issue, see:

(1) http://daringfireball.net/2004/07/spotlight_on_spotlight ("Both metadata collection and full-text indexing depend on cooperating per-file-format Importers, either written by Apple or by third parties. Like Google, no matter how much text an Importer provides, Spotlight only cares about the first 100K of raw text.")
(2) http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=473033 ("No, the 100Kb limit means that it will only look at the first 100Kb of text per file. If the keyword happens later, it will not be seen.")

Also, does Spotlight have content preview and highlight of hits? I can't check because I don't have a Mac handy. Tom?

As far as I know, there's only one real equivalent to dtSearch on a Mac: Foxtrot Pro (http://www.ctmdev.com/foxtrot/professional_search/ ).

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
:-) May 25, 2015

Audrey Demers wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

dtSearch does look great! I will definitely look into it! Thanks for your help!

You're welcome!

It might seem a bit clunky at first, but once you get your head around the interface, it is very, very powerful.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some thoughts May 25, 2015

Audrey Demers wrote:
You deleted your post, maybe because the first answer "Everything Search" is not a content finder, but the second one "Agent Ransack" was a good suggestion

The problem with Agent Ransack is that although it searches using multiple threads (and is thus faster) it does not index the files, but instead searches them from scratch each time. The same applies to the paid version (File Locator Pro).

An indexed search program that is practically abandonware but may be worth looking at, is Wilma:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/redtree/wilma/en/help/install.html

Then there is DocFetcher, available on Sourceforge. Hint: right-click is your friend. I've installed this program a couple of times but I can't remember why I never ended up using it. I just tested it again, and it doesn't yield any search results, but maybe it works for you.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 23:59
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Wilma, Wilma! May 26, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote: For the Spotlight issue, see:

I hope you realise you are referring to two articles from 2004, before Spotlight even existed (introduced in OS X Tiger, 2005). Things have changed. Not that it matters for the OP, though.

What does matter:

Samuel Murray wrote: An indexed search program that is practically abandonware but may be worth looking at, is Wilma

I downloaded it, and it does offer server indexing and searching.

It's free, and it looks as if it's worth trying. But as Samuel mentioned, it's almost abandonware, so it could be a temporary solution only. Thanks anyway, Sam!

Cheers,

Hans

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
dtSearch it is May 26, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

I second Michael's suggestion. I have been using it for nearly 20 years and like Michael I have tried the major competitors. I found flaws with the others, nothing significant with dtSearch.

Incidentally, because the program is so mature, major changes are few and far between and minor bug fixes and tweaks are not charged. This means that you spend almost nothing on upgrades. It's currently at v7.79 and I don't think I've been asked to pay anything since I upgraded to version 7 in 2005! Excellent value.

It works fine on modern Windows and apparently an OS X client is under development.

Dan

Grigoriy Smirnov
Grigoriy Smirnov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Archivarius 3000 May 26, 2015

I use it during about five years and didn't find any limitations yet.
http://www.likasoft.com/document-search/index-en.shtml

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:59
German to English
dtSearch May 26, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Worth every penny/cent (we've been using it for many years now), and it definitely works over a VPN (though a connection that's relatively fast such as V25 definitely helps).

Robin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:59
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Archivarius May 26, 2015

Tis a pity the demo version of Archivarius is not only limited to 30 days but also to 10 000 files. This makes it impossible to fully test its capabilities and compare them with that of similar tools.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What tool do you use to search content in your archived documents?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »