Letra
Letra  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:19
English to Polish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2006

Hello,
does anybody know any freeware tool to annotate PDF files, ie. insert notes or highlight separate words? Thanks for any tips!

Maria Antonietta Ricagno
Maria Antonietta Ricagno  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
not free Sep 26, 2006

Hello

I know one exists, it is Adobe Acrobat 7.0
Professional but it is not at all cheap.
One client of mine uses it: he sends the texts for proofreading, then I open them using Adobe Acrobat 7 (not Professional!) and can add notes, and many other tasks (delete sentences or words, etc. like with Track changes in Word).

I tried some freeware or shareware to edit pdf's but they do not work so well.

Hope this helps

Antonella

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 09:19
Spanish
+ ...
Foxit Reader 2.0 Sep 26, 2006

The new version of Foxit Reader seems to do the job, althought I haven't tried it yet. And yes, it's free.

"Now with Foxit Reader 2.0, you don't have to endure such pain any more. The following is a list of compelling advantages of Foxit Reader 2.0:

Annotation tool: Have you ever wished to annotate (or comment on) a PDF document when you are reading it? Foxit Reader 2.0 allows you to draw graphics, highline text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then prin
... See more
The new version of Foxit Reader seems to do the job, althought I haven't tried it yet. And yes, it's free.

"Now with Foxit Reader 2.0, you don't have to endure such pain any more. The following is a list of compelling advantages of Foxit Reader 2.0:

Annotation tool: Have you ever wished to annotate (or comment on) a PDF document when you are reading it? Foxit Reader 2.0 allows you to draw graphics, highline text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then print out or save the annotated document."

EDIT: I forgot the link
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

[Edited at 2006-09-26 18:49]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Foxit's annotation is not free Sep 27, 2006

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Foxit 2.0 is free, but not all plugins are free. The annotation plugin is not free, as far as I can tell. The Pro Pack will set you back USD 39.00.

Zazou80
Zazou80
English
Use PDF Exchange Viewer Sep 6, 2007

Hello,

I have just found PDF Exchange Viewer for adding comments and annotations. This is free, fast and comprehensive in term of functionalities.

http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/pdfx_viewer/?act[69]=scr_shot

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
@Zazou80 & PDF Exchange Viewer Sep 9, 2007

Wow.
If there is no hidden "something" in that program, I am truly impressed.

Thanks for the tip.

I will fix the link to the company website a little:

http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/pdfx_viewer/

Pawel Skalinski

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Enabling comments features in Reader Sep 26, 2007

As of Acrobat 7, it is possible to save a PDF file so that Acrobat's Comments features are also available in the Reader.
This needs to be done on a file-by-file basis, in Acrobat (definitely Professional, possibly also Standard).

So if a client sends you a PDF requesting comments added in Acrobat, you can ask him to send you the file again, with comments enabled for Reader. The Acrobat command for this is in the Comments menu.

HtH,
Roberta

edinburcc
edinburcc
Local time: 15:19
French to English
You could also try A.nnotate.com Jun 3, 2008

Another way of doing this is with A.nnotate. It got a good writeup on WebWare recently.

You do everything online and send a link to the client so they can see the notes (and add their own if they need to). Its mostly free, but you can get a subscription if you use it a lot.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free tool to annotate PDF files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »