Document management software to be used across a network of 4-5 computers?
Thread poster: Pablo.Cres
Pablo.Cres
Pablo.Cres
Local time: 16:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 3, 2008

At the office, we work with 4-5 different computers, sometimes saving the same file many times in different folders. Is there any document management software that would allow to save the files in a single computer and that allows networking? We're looking for something more effective and organized than just creating folders in one of the computers and accessing them through My Network Places. If you know of any program that would be useful for this kind of job (meaning having original, translat... See more
At the office, we work with 4-5 different computers, sometimes saving the same file many times in different folders. Is there any document management software that would allow to save the files in a single computer and that allows networking? We're looking for something more effective and organized than just creating folders in one of the computers and accessing them through My Network Places. If you know of any program that would be useful for this kind of job (meaning having original, translated and revised copies of the document accessible to the ones working at the office), please let me know.
Thank you very much.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-01-03 14:38]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 21:54
English to German
+ ...
ms-exchange server ... Jan 3, 2008

Hi! this is most widely used type I have noticed in companies with multiple computers and constant shift from to another. They generate a profile under exchange server and all the documents go with the profile to whichever comp. including intercontinental shifts. Example USA - employee shifting to tokyo. Brandis

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few options Jan 3, 2008

I know the ProZ.com site has been running ads for NomaDesk, which purports to do just what you are asking about.

The one I am more familiar with is Microsoft SharePoint, which integrates perfectly with the Office suite. I used this quite a bit when working for a large corporation, and found it very useful for data management in large projects. As it is top-of-the-line, I imagine it also comes with a price tag. You can find info on
... See more
I know the ProZ.com site has been running ads for NomaDesk, which purports to do just what you are asking about.

The one I am more familiar with is Microsoft SharePoint, which integrates perfectly with the Office suite. I used this quite a bit when working for a large corporation, and found it very useful for data management in large projects. As it is top-of-the-line, I imagine it also comes with a price tag. You can find info on it here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/sharepointserver/FX100492001033.aspx

Best of luck to you!
Collapse

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Spanish to English
+ ...
More on Microsoft SharePoint Jan 3, 2008

Here is a summary they have on the site:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/sharepointtechnology/FX100503841033.aspx

Overview
Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services is a versatile technology that organizations and business units of all sizes can use to increase the efficiency of business processes and improve team productivity. Wi
... See more
Here is a summary they have on the site:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/sharepointtechnology/FX100503841033.aspx

Overview
Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services is a versatile technology that organizations and business units of all sizes can use to increase the efficiency of business processes and improve team productivity. With tools for collaboration that help people stay connected across organizational and geographic boundaries, Windows SharePoint Services gives people access to information they need.

Built on Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Windows SharePoint Services also provides a foundation platform for building Web-based business applications that can flex and scale easily to meet the changing and growing needs of your business. Robust administrative controls for managing storage and Web infrastructure give IT departments a cost-effective way to implement and manage a high-performance collaboration environment. With a familiar, Web-based interface and close integration with everyday tools including the Microsoft Office system, Windows SharePoint Services is easy to use and can be deployed rapidly.

From the looks of it, you can download it to use if you run Windows Server 2003.
Collapse

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:54
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
If you are looking for something affordable Jan 3, 2008

I think that you could consider Microsoft Home Server, it is inexpensive (in comparison with the other suggested solutions) and should provide everything you need i.e. reliable file server and backup. Two potential problems are: MHS does not allow you to run any programs (in opposition to MS Server), and you would have to check the licence agreement whether you can use it commercially.

... See more
I think that you could consider Microsoft Home Server, it is inexpensive (in comparison with the other suggested solutions) and should provide everything you need i.e. reliable file server and backup. Two potential problems are: MHS does not allow you to run any programs (in opposition to MS Server), and you would have to check the licence agreement whether you can use it commercially.

You can find more information here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/default.mspx

Best Regards

Stanislaw
Collapse

Tom Dupon (X)
Tom Dupon (X)
Local time: 21:54
English
You might want to try NomaDesk Jan 4, 2008

Dear Pablo.Cres,

First of all, I want to make clear that I am connected to NomaDesk. I would like to invite you to download the free NomaDesk trial because NomaDesk is indeed developed for small teams that are working together on the same project.

You can create a shared workspace (you can do it right away on our website: http://www.nomadesk.com) and invite the 4 other users to this sh
... See more
Dear Pablo.Cres,

First of all, I want to make clear that I am connected to NomaDesk. I would like to invite you to download the free NomaDesk trial because NomaDesk is indeed developed for small teams that are working together on the same project.

You can create a shared workspace (you can do it right away on our website: http://www.nomadesk.com) and invite the 4 other users to this shared environment. This workspace will look like an extra hard drive to your local computer. Everyone you invite to this workspace will have to install NomaDesk and they will then see the same extra hard drive on their local computer with the same documents. The team members can access and edit these shared documents at any time (even when they are not connected to the internet). All changes made to a document on this workspace will be immediately distributed to the team members, so they will have the latest version available.

Some other interesting features of NomaDesk for your business might be:
- Your shared workspace is backed up 3 times a day: a single email to our customer support team will recover all your lost data in no time.
- The data on your workspace are in safe hands: your data are locally encrypted. This means that the documents on your shared workspace are invisible, inaccessible and useless to anyone that doesn't have the password to your workspace. All document updates also travel encrypted over the internet.
- NomaDesk isn't just a collaboration software. We see it as a collaboration service. This means that you can call our customer satisfaction team at any time in case you have a problem.

Feel free to try NomaDesk - it's free during beta. I'm looking forward to getting feedback from the proz.com translation community.

Kind regards,

Tom Dupon,
online marketing and communication manager of NomaDesk
Collapse

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
NomaDesk Support discussion forum created Jan 7, 2008

I have created a support and discussion forum specifically for NomaDesk users at http://www.proz.com/forum/454

Thank you
Drew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Document management software to be used across a network of 4-5 computers?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »