Thread poster: Peter Bl
Peter Bl
Peter Bl  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:17
Japanese to English
Jul 8, 2021

Hi, Peter from Japan here.

Having a problem installing Trados 2011.
Am trying to reinstall SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 & SDL MultiTerm 2011 SP2 Desktop Installer on my PC (Win 10/Core i5 processor).
Recently had to clean reinstall Win 10 and programs after a SDD failure. PC is working fine again.

I can download Trados 2011 & Multiterm no problem from the SDL site/my page.
I researched online (others with a similar problem).

I get a pop u
... See more
Hi, Peter from Japan here.

Having a problem installing Trados 2011.
Am trying to reinstall SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 & SDL MultiTerm 2011 SP2 Desktop Installer on my PC (Win 10/Core i5 processor).
Recently had to clean reinstall Win 10 and programs after a SDD failure. PC is working fine again.

I can download Trados 2011 & Multiterm no problem from the SDL site/my page.
I researched online (others with a similar problem).

I get a pop up box message during Trados Studio install;
the following components will be installed: Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable SP1.

OK, As suggested online by others I googled "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable SP1" and was defaulted/directed to the MS download page.
From the MS download page there were 3 options; only one which works with my processor.
Downloaded "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (Version 8.0.61000) which is now sitting/installed in my `Control panel/Programs folder.

The problem is during Trados install, I still get an error message:
`An error occurred while downloading a required file. You may retry downloading the file or cancel setup. error message and cannot install Trados."

Uninstalled the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable SP1 download and Trados a number of times, shut down the PC a number of times, tried again, still no go.

Is "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable SP1" the same as Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) (Version 8.0.61000)? Do I have the right component?

Sorry if I am missing something basic or doing something stupid.

Does someone out there have a solution please?

Cheers, Peter

`
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 18:17
English to Thai
+ ...
64 bit Windows Jul 8, 2021

I understand that your setup program of Trados 2011 is not compatible with Windows 10 which run at 64 bit now. I have similar troubles with obsolete siftware and latest OS's.

Please discuss with Trados for any relevant knowledgebases.

Regards
Soonthon L.

[Edited at 2021-07-08 07:26 GMT]

Peter Bl
Peter Bl  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:17
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados Studio 2011 & Win 10 Jul 8, 2021

Hi Soonthon,
Tks for the response. FYI I posted this same question on the SDL/RWS community forum but no response.

BTW Do you know of a workaround so I can still use Trados 2011 on a Win 10 OS PC?
Or by default am I forced to buy an upgrade?
Thoughts?

Peter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2011 SP2 & SDL MultiTerm 2011 SP2 Desktop Install error

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »