Andras Szekany
Andras Szekany  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 13:54
Member (2007)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 20, 2009

not only the fuzzy index (function?) freezes - even if I switch the virus protection off, but worse, the application seems to have forgotten a main benefit of any CAT tool (which may be the same as the fuzzy): does not show up any previously translated segment within the same project even within the same bilingual.

Has please anybody a proper remedy - except, I shoud purchase the full transit (when than, than trados)
... See more
not only the fuzzy index (function?) freezes - even if I switch the virus protection off, but worse, the application seems to have forgotten a main benefit of any CAT tool (which may be the same as the fuzzy): does not show up any previously translated segment within the same project even within the same bilingual.

Has please anybody a proper remedy - except, I shoud purchase the full transit (when than, than trados)

I can remember before the latest build (this 267) transit was able to show the fuzzy, but I lost the old installation file.

Many thanks in advance for any useful tips
Collapse

Andras Szekany
Hungary
Member (2007)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes, I know Iknow, Oct 20, 2009

there are a lot of posts already about Satellite PE. But - please forgive me - how should I decide to buy a quite expensive CAT tool, if the free version does not work properly?

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:54
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
i don't have the answer Oct 20, 2009

In fact, I did buy that expensive CAT tool because my Satellite PE version always worked fine! Now I'm very happy with Transit NXT. But I ignore why Satellite PE fails to work properly in your PC! Sorry.

And I don't think you should buy the full version to fix the problem. I believe there might be another easier workaround.

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
You cannot expect much from that version... Oct 28, 2009

I also used Satellite version for years to my huge dissatisfaction until I decided to test and purchase Transit NXT - I am also very happy with it. I would not want to go back to that free version. You cannot expect it to run without any problems - there is no more support for that version from Star (it is based on an old version from 1987 that was later upgraded!)...

You can test Transit NXT for a month or so before you decide to purchase it...if you decide to do so at all.
... See more
I also used Satellite version for years to my huge dissatisfaction until I decided to test and purchase Transit NXT - I am also very happy with it. I would not want to go back to that free version. You cannot expect it to run without any problems - there is no more support for that version from Star (it is based on an old version from 1987 that was later upgraded!)...

You can test Transit NXT for a month or so before you decide to purchase it...if you decide to do so at all.

I suggest that you try the new paid Transit version as it is a really a good software with a lot of useful functions. You will see that it is very different from the Satellite version.
Collapse

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Use a competitor Oct 28, 2009

Andras Szekany wrote:

Is Transit Satellite your only TM tool? Probably not, since you list "other TM tool" in your profile. Maybe you should give CAT hopping a try. A pxf file is nothing more than a zip file that contains XML-based files that can actually be translated by means of another CAT tool of your choice. It might take some try and error, but it is not impossible. The procedure I usually follow is described here:
http://www.necco.ca/dv/sdlx_transit_wordfast.htm#pfx_files
This is for DVX, but there should also be a way to import the language pairs into, say, TagEditor or something of that kind.
I mostly have Satellite open while I am translating with my own tool so I can use the references from there (terminology etc.). It might all sound a bit cumbersome, but if you have more routine (and more reference material in terms of TMs) in your preferred tool, then this is probably the way to go.

Ana Kardum
Ana Kardum  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Croatian
+ ...
Maybe it works with DejaVu...but not with all CAT tools Oct 29, 2009

Wolfgang,

It is probably easier to you to handle such projects with DVX or Wordfast as you are an experienced user. I must say that it does not work that well with Trados. In fact, larger files are a problem and may get corrupt.

Satellite version is ok for smaller project, but it is better to translate larger files with the paid version of Transit. The newest version is really a huge step forward and I personally like it...

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:54
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Try NXT Oct 29, 2009

Hello Andras,

I have used the PE version for a month or so, had no problem, but I was aware of its logical limits (being a free version), so that I invested in the professional version last February. I haven't regretted the step!

Provided you can expect a regular job flow, I'd try NXT for a month, as Ana suggests. I am far from being an expert, have never managed to explore all its options (my fault, lack of time), but NXT & I - a Trados person to the bone...
See more
Hello Andras,

I have used the PE version for a month or so, had no problem, but I was aware of its logical limits (being a free version), so that I invested in the professional version last February. I haven't regretted the step!

Provided you can expect a regular job flow, I'd try NXT for a month, as Ana suggests. I am far from being an expert, have never managed to explore all its options (my fault, lack of time), but NXT & I - a Trados person to the bone, do go along pretty well.

Giuliana
Collapse

Andras Szekany
Hungary
Member (2007)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Clarisa, thank you for your realistic attitude Oct 30, 2009

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

In fact, I did buy that expensive CAT tool because my Satellite PE version always worked fine! Now I'm very happy with Transit NXT. But I ignore why Satellite PE fails to work properly in your PC! Sorry.

And I don't think you should buy the full version to fix the problem. I believe there might be another easier workaround.

actually I found the "workaround" - I installed PE onto a fresh, clean XP operated comp. And it works now - the segments, already there, are "offered up".

Andras Szekany
Hungary
Member (2007)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Ana, thanks. I understand, that a "free" should provide less, than a "paid" Oct 30, 2009

Ana Kardum wrote:

I suggest that you try the new paid Transit version as it is a really a good software with a lot of useful functions. You will see that it is very different from the Satellite version.

Everything depends on, how much orders you hope for getting in "transit" or whatever else. So you can decide the ROI of your investment. If Transit, than you receive your jobs from your agency into PE in a way, which does not allow you to do anything else than to translate it. For that the functionality of PE seems adequate today.

Andras Szekany
Hungary
Member (2007)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Jörg, of course I know trados too, and am a listed translator in the Across world Oct 30, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Andras Szekany wrote:

Is Transit Satellite your only TM tool? Probably not, since you list "other TM tool" in your profile. Maybe you should give CAT hopping a try. A pxf file is nothing more than a zip file that contains XML-based files that can actually be translated by means of another CAT tool of your choice. It might take some try and error, but it is not impossible. The procedure I usually follow is described here:
http://www.necco.ca/dv/sdlx_transit_wordfast.htm#pfx_files
This is for DVX, but there should also be a way to import the language pairs into, say, TagEditor or something of that kind.
I mostly have Satellite open while I am translating with my own tool so I can use the references from there (terminology etc.). It might all sound a bit cumbersome, but if you have more routine (and more reference material in terms of TMs) in your preferred tool, then this is probably the way to go.

There are two basic situations: you receive job(s) from an agency, or from a direct customer. For the first case you are bound to, what the agency does - if they use transit, you have no other choice. Since I found the remedy after all (clean install), this situation is sufficient today with this PE.

Another situation is, if you receive the originals (from agency or from the customer). For this situation I have e.g. across. Across - you start it in the "standalone" way - is ok for many kind of originals (word, excel, etc.). That is no need for export or transport from transit files into something else

Andras Szekany
Hungary
Member (2007)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Giuliana, you are perfectly right at saying: Oct 30, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Hello Andras,

Provided you can expect a regular job flow,...

Giuliana

That is the right question before going into investment of any kind. Should I get the ROI out? How many jobs do I need to translate with that tool, until I got my money paid back? What part of my received payment may I account into getting the return (amortization, depreciation).

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Thinking the other way round Nov 9, 2009

Hi Andras,
perhaps we might put it the other way round: I may get regular jobs IF I buy the software.
It's pure speculation though, as I don't know your particular situation.

Gergely Vandor
Gergely Vandor
Hungary
English to Hungarian
try memoQ Nov 23, 2009

Hi Andras,

I hope I don't break any rules if I recommend that you try memoQ. (NB, I work for the company that produces memoQ.) It is the only tool (other than Transit) that provides official support for Transit translation packages, both the Transit XV PXF format and the Transit NXT PPF format.

Best regards,
Gergely

Andras Szekany
Hungary
Member (2007)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Nov 24, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Yes your logic is ok. The return on investment (ROI) is always the question. Because I work as translator only part time, this would be - presumably - not very good at me. But basically, you are right. Thank you.

.."I may get regular jobs IF I buy the software."..

[Edited at 2009-11-24 06:51 GMT]

Andras Szekany
Hungary
Member (2007)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hallo Gergely, Nov 24, 2009

where there is a need, there is always a solution at hand. Actually I had a quiet hope, that somebody from Transit finds this blog and says hi, there is a simple solution (xyz) and of course the "golden" solution: you buy the ...

Actually a competitor (you) says something like this. I use across and now (again) Transit Satellite. Both are good for receiving jobs and performing the translation - and free of charge. I wrote already somewhere, that the return on investment is in case o
... See more
where there is a need, there is always a solution at hand. Actually I had a quiet hope, that somebody from Transit finds this blog and says hi, there is a simple solution (xyz) and of course the "golden" solution: you buy the ...

Actually a competitor (you) says something like this. I use across and now (again) Transit Satellite. Both are good for receiving jobs and performing the translation - and free of charge. I wrote already somewhere, that the return on investment is in case of full CAT tools a thight question.

If someone considers to receive tranlation jobs in the original form (word, excel, etc.), than there is still something else out there, with the letter "T" showing almost the best (my experience) performance in importing and editing.

[and maybe the most expensive one too .. ]

Gergely Vandor wrote:

Hi Andras,

I hope I don't break any rules .........and the Transit NXT PPF format.

Best regards,
Gergely
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

hi, I use transit satellite PE 3 - build 267 too, but am unhappy

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »