How to process InDesign CS 5 IDML files in Transit NXT?
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Aug 24, 2011

Hi all,

I have a license for the InDesign filter, I own InDesign CS 3, but I don't have CS 5.

A client of mine is asking whether I can do a job in InDesign CS 5 for him. He will send me a IDML file.

My question:

What is the best way to translate InDesign CS 5 IDML files in Transit NXT?

Thanks for your help!

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Translating IDML files in Transit NXT Jan 6, 2012

I got myself an InDesign CS 5.5 license (crossgrade from ID CS 3.0 Win to ID CS 5.5 Mac)

1. The 'not so elegant way':

Rename IDML to ZIP, look for the XML file(s) in the Stories subfolder, translate as XML. Put the translated file back in the correct folder. Change the extension back to IDML.

(You can use these nice scripts on OS X to make life easier:
... See more
I got myself an InDesign CS 5.5 license (crossgrade from ID CS 3.0 Win to ID CS 5.5 Mac)

1. The 'not so elegant way':

Rename IDML to ZIP, look for the XML file(s) in the Stories subfolder, translate as XML. Put the translated file back in the correct folder. Change the extension back to IDML.

(You can use these nice scripts on OS X to make life easier:

http://indesignsecrets.com/drag-and-drop-applescripts-for-epub-idml-etc.php )

2. The 'quite elegant way':

Use www.cafetran.com to create an XLIFF file from the IDML file(s). Unpack the XLIFF file in Transit.

3. The 'elegant but time-consuming way':

Save all IDML files as INDD documents. Create a new book. Add the INDD documents to the book (by clicking the [+] button of the New Book dialog). Save the Book. Export the book with InDesign Gate to TTC (and create PDF files). Create an Adobe ID type project in Transit NXT, import the TTC files, put the PDF files in the working folder and enjoy WYSIWYG editing and PDF preview.

[Edited at 2012-01-06 21:08 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to process InDesign CS 5 IDML files in Transit NXT?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »