Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Feb 2, 2012

Hi all,

I'd appreciate some input on this topic:

Is it safe to use Transit NXT to translate TTX files with it?

Are there any known caveats?

Can TTX files translated in NXT be processed afterwards in SDL products (I guess: WorkBench and Studio 2011?) without the risk for tag errors?

Is this route really absolutely safe or should I fire up WorkBench or Studio each time to check a TTX translated in NXT?

Thanks for your in
... See more
Hi all,

I'd appreciate some input on this topic:

Is it safe to use Transit NXT to translate TTX files with it?

Are there any known caveats?

Can TTX files translated in NXT be processed afterwards in SDL products (I guess: WorkBench and Studio 2011?) without the risk for tag errors?

Is this route really absolutely safe or should I fire up WorkBench or Studio each time to check a TTX translated in NXT?

Thanks for your input!

Hans
Collapse

Gyula Erdesz
Gyula Erdesz
Hungary
Local time: 05:46
Member (2009)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, you should. Before the translation. Feb 2, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

Dear Hans,

I am not really sure if you aware of the following, but better safe than sorry:

.ttx files have to be presegmented with Trados 2007 Workbench BEFORE you import them in ANY CAT tools (excluding Trados 2007, 2009 and 2011). Otherwise the CAT-tool will not be diplay all of the segments.

Regards,

Gyula

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:46
German to Lithuanian
totally safe in XV Feb 2, 2012

I have translated lots of big TTX files with Transit XV - without any problems at all ant nobody even noticed, that I'm working not with TagEditor.
Sometimes I even join source and target segments (when a sentence is divided and I want it to be entered as a full segment into the TM) - also without any problems.
Transit handles TTX files even better then TagEditor does

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Do you have to verify in TagEditor? Feb 2, 2012

Egidijus Slepetys wrote:

I have translated lots of big TTX files with Transit XV - without any problems at all ant nobody even noticed, that I'm working not with TagEditor.
Sometimes I even join source and target segments (when a sentence is divided and I want it to be entered as a full segment into the TM) - also without any problems.
Transit handles TTX files even better then TagEditor does

Thanks for that info.

Do you have to verify the TTX in TagEditor? (Or Studio, if that is possible)

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 05:46
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sure Feb 2, 2012

Hans Lenting wrote:

Do you have to verify the TTX in TagEditor?

Well, if you own the software it would be unprofessional not to, or wouldn't it?

I have translated lots of ttx files in both XV and NXT and I always check the output in TagEditor before sending out. Technically, especially with XV it was a matter of routine and did not encounter many problems. But I feel technical aspect as secondary here.

I suppose that only if your customers knows and accepts you are using Transit for processing their ttx, you might be able to skip this verification step and you needn't feel ashamed if anything goes wrong. My viewpoint on the ethics is that If you verify in TagEditor, it is a completely different situation and it is your "private" matter which tool you used for such processing.

Antonin

Egidijus Slepetys
Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:46
German to Lithuanian
no Feb 2, 2012

no, I don't verify TTX in TagEditor at all! I did it at first, but then I saw, they are not necessary.

~2 times the client was unable to clean up a TTX file made from a Word file, me neither.
But "Save target as" in TagEditor worked fine!
[addition:] TM was updated, but no target file was generated from workbench]

The TTX filter in Transit is really brilliant, and as I see, improvements of it are still coming with service packs.

[Redaguota 2012-02-02
... See more
no, I don't verify TTX in TagEditor at all! I did it at first, but then I saw, they are not necessary.

~2 times the client was unable to clean up a TTX file made from a Word file, me neither.
But "Save target as" in TagEditor worked fine!
[addition:] TM was updated, but no target file was generated from workbench]

The TTX filter in Transit is really brilliant, and as I see, improvements of it are still coming with service packs.

[Redaguota 2012-02-02 17:42 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it safe to use NXT for TTX?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »