The ideal qualifications
Thread poster: Miriam2008
Miriam2008
Miriam2008
Local time: 23:26
Spanish to English
Dec 14, 2008

I'll be moving to Canada next year (albeit it on a 1yr-work visa initially), having graduated here in Britain with an MA Spanish with Philosophy. I've been trying to get translation work experience and will continue to do so, and my course has a translation module. However, I know this won't be enough and I'd like some advice on what more I could do to break into the industry.

I'm not convinced any of the masters in Canada are for me and even doing a distance course (from a Universi
... See more
I'll be moving to Canada next year (albeit it on a 1yr-work visa initially), having graduated here in Britain with an MA Spanish with Philosophy. I've been trying to get translation work experience and will continue to do so, and my course has a translation module. However, I know this won't be enough and I'd like some advice on what more I could do to break into the industry.

I'm not convinced any of the masters in Canada are for me and even doing a distance course (from a University here or in the States) doesn't seem that appealing as they often seem very academic and I'm not sure I'll get value for money. Any comments?
I was thinking about trying to take a few short courses such as a CAT course and an audiovisual translation course as this will boost my CV and working with computers is my strong point; I'd love to go into subtitling.

Also, I already have all the materials to take the WLS course which prepares you for the Institute of Linguists Diploma in Translation (IoL DipTrans), but since I'm going to Canada I'm not sure what the Diploma would be worth over there. Perhaps I should complete the course and include it on my CV but not pay to take the diploma itself? Perhaps I should take the Canadian equivalent? Yet this appears to be for professionals already working in the industry, even more so than the IoL DipTrans.

So, if there are any translators who think 'If I could go back and do it all again' in terms of their training, please do advise me on what I should be doing!! Please! Please!

Many thanks,
Miriam
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The ideal qualifications

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »