Thread poster: Sarah Hirsch
Sarah Hirsch
Sarah Hirsch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 6, 2018

I just translated an academic paper on economics, along with various citations within the text. How do I mention this in the in-line citations? For example, would my translated text be: "blah de blah is really cool" (Doe 123, translation by author)? Do I get credit? My client told me that in Spanish it would be "traducción propia", which makes sense, but doesn't translate idiomatically in this context. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:15
German to English
Easy with footnotes/endnotes Apr 6, 2018

I almost never work with in-line citations, because they are very uncommon in my field. In notes, it's easy, you just add "All translations by Sarah Hirsch, unless otherwise noted," at the end of the first note citing the source of a translated quotation. Because your readers have the title of the cited source in each note, it's easy for them to recognize whether or not a given quotation has been translated.

I suppose you could just add the same comment inside the parentheses at the
... See more
I almost never work with in-line citations, because they are very uncommon in my field. In notes, it's easy, you just add "All translations by Sarah Hirsch, unless otherwise noted," at the end of the first note citing the source of a translated quotation. Because your readers have the title of the cited source in each note, it's easy for them to recognize whether or not a given quotation has been translated.

I suppose you could just add the same comment inside the parentheses at the end of the first quotation: Readers who are interested enough to care whether a given quotation is translated or not can flip to the bibliography at the end of the text to see the title of the cited source.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
One question Apr 6, 2018

Were all citations translated by you, or some by you and others by the author?

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 11:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Translation in brackets Apr 7, 2018

In the case of inline citations, I usually put: ("Original title, year") [translation of title]. The brackets already indicate that this was added by the translator and no further mention of it is necessary (no credit).

Economics falls under social sciences where inline citations are common. Most follow APA style. You can find their publication manual online at http://www.apa.org/

Sarah Hirsch
Sarah Hirsch  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:15
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sole Translator Apr 7, 2018

Teresa Borges wrote:

All of them were by me.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 18:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sarah Apr 8, 2018

Sarah Hirsch wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

All of them were by me.

This might answer your question:

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2014/11/lost-in-translation-citing-your-own-translations-in-apa-style.html

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Translations of in-text citations Apr 8, 2018

Teresa makes an important point, although I am uncertain that the APA is actually the reference for economic aacdemic writing. I think that Harvard may be more common. You may like to check with the client, who may need to check with the editor.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Link to APA-blog very interesting Apr 9, 2018

Chicago's FAQs (or Q&As) suggests using "my translation" in the situation you've described (see, e.g. http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Documentation/faq0030.html).
That's a very helpful solution for translators, because it fits nicely with the standard expression in a lot of foreign languages. It seems short enough for
... See more
Chicago's FAQs (or Q&As) suggests using "my translation" in the situation you've described (see, e.g. http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Documentation/faq0030.html).
That's a very helpful solution for translators, because it fits nicely with the standard expression in a lot of foreign languages. It seems short enough for repeated use in parentheses. On the other hand, if it seems to be unnecessarily cluttering up the page, the information seems more or less redundant if a foreign-language title is being cited.

And thanks for the blog link, Teresa: I had heard translators express that position before, but never really taken it seriously. Now I know of a semi-authoratative source (it's the blog, not the manual) actually arguing for paraphrasing all translations of quotations when using APA style. APA also translates article titles from Western European languages, which always seemed like an aberration to me, but I now know it is standard in some fields.

Otherwise, I agree with Nikki: I don't think the question can be answered in a productive way unless it is linked with a specific style guide or citation style. For example, the APA blog wants the translation formatted as a paraphrase and not a direct quotation, which is the exact opposite of what the Chicago FAQs state and what has always seemed to me to be standard practice in texts from my fields (humanities: literature, history, art history).

Most English-language journals and academic publishers have a section on their website called "instructions for authors" (or something similar), which will lead you to a style guide. If that option isn't available (often the case with bilingual publications published outside the English-speaking world), you can tell the author that he or she needs to ask the editor (or the agency to ask the author to ask the editor). If that option doesn't work, then you can look at 3 or 5 journals from the field and published in the relevant target-language country, see what they do, and then tell the author you are going to do that unless they explicitly tell you to do something else.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Academic papers: in-line citations of translated quotes

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »